How to clean boxing gloves

Pacmanandy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok, I've looked everywhere and cannot find a decent method of cleaning disgusting boxing gloves.

I've heard of all the febreeze, baking soda, etc. but that doesn't clean out the GERMS and BACTERIA festering inside. That only hides the smell of blood and rotting flesh temporarily, and I'm trying to kill the living organizisms I know are in there.

Will lysol work? Dry clean?

Thanks in advance.

put it in the freezer over night.. and let it air dry for the next few days...

also.. doesn't it say on the febreeze bottle "kills up to 99.9% of germs"????? or was tha lysol? :icon_conf

Supersudo is right, the freezer will work, but put them in a plastic bag and that will kill any germs. I also put odor eaters in my bag and sparring gloves to keep the smell down.

For those of us without freezers? (Dorm life is swell aint it?:) )

Simply airing them out works well also. Getting completly dry will kill the germs also. (they need moisture to live) Just letting them dry out completly between uses has worked well for me so far.

brackis said:
For those of us without freezers? (Dorm life is swell aint it?:) )

You can A) put them in a heavy duty zip loc bag underneath the keg at the Tri Lam frat party,

or B) if you live in Chicago leave them outside for a little bit......

I just use a disinfectant spray. My gym has one and I always spray it right after, then I leave it out to dry when I go home.

does that also go for the open hand sparring/training gloves or just for the regular boxing ones?

I just air mine out...opening up in a well-ventilated place...

When they REALLY stink or when they're really wet, I just spray a little Anti-bacterial Febreeze in them and air out as stated above...

If you use Lysol, make sure to mist it on and LET IT DRY...do not wipe it off; the mechanism in which Lysol spray works is that it has to sit on whatever surface it's cleaning and then evaporate on its own...

There are many method to clean gear...but ultimately, there are a couple common denominators...
- DO NOT JUST LEAVE YOUR GEAR IN YOUR GYM BAG...THIS IS A PRIME BREEDING GROUND FOR MICROBE GROWTH
- You CAN wash your gear...lightly rinsing or wiping down doesn't hurt it; afterall, the amount you sweat in them is basically soaking your gear in water anyway...just DO NOT PUT IT IN THE DRYER
- AIR DRY...naturally drying it will keep the leather/faux-leather from breaking down and avoids f'ing up the foam and stuff of your pads...

Best of luck...

how do you clean with baking soda? Also, how long do you leave it in the freezer before you take it out?

i use febreeze and it works. i take really good care of m shit cause its so freakin expensive!

Progress report:

I used black leather shoe shine to clean all the leather parts of the gloves, then this leather/vinyl foam shoe cleaner over everything.

As for the inside, these gloves are awesome but used and it smells like a racoon died in there. I sprayed lysol for a good 20 seconds inside the glove, trying to fill it with lysol, then let it air out. Still smelled like death, so I repeated, then stuck Bounce fabric softener inside over night. The smell is a million times better but still a strong hint of ass, especially around the wrist and fingers.

I'll go get some febreeze.

I've also heard of putting wood chips in a sock and stuffing it in your gloves overnight. I'll try the bag thing as well.

Pacmanandy said:
Progress report:

I used black leather shoe shine to clean all the leather parts of the gloves, then this leather/vinyl foam shoe cleaner over everything.

As for the inside, these gloves are awesome but used and it smells like a racoon died in there. I sprayed lysol for a good 20 seconds inside the glove, trying to fill it with lysol, then let it air out. Still smelled like death, so I repeated, then stuck Bounce fabric softener inside over night. The smell is a million times better but still a strong hint of ass, especially around the wrist and fingers.

I'll go get some febreeze.

I've also heard of putting wood chips in a sock and stuffing it in your gloves overnight. I'll try the bag thing as well.
Um...I dunno anything about shoe polish or shoe cleaner...but does that shit leave any sort of residue on the contact area of the gloves?...I'd be careful of using that because if it does, that'd be realllllly bad for your training partners...

Also...one thing that will DEFINITELY help and I'm surprised more people don't do this is...just wash your hand wraps more often. Not even straight up washing them; but rinsing them off with some water and wringing them out and drying them will help tremendously with glove funk...

I just have a couple pair of hand wraps that I put into rotation...use one while the others are air drying...

I actually hear that using some harsh chemicals like lysol and febreeze aint good....I used the Febreeze but it didnt do much...I air it out of my bag, put it in the freezer but it dont do nothing....I use my gloves EVERYDAY and I train hard with them so I just found out from my buddy that there is something called NO B.O. from Titleboxing.com that is a spray for disinfecting boxing equipment, I also got something called the cedar chip inserts....I get them in a few days and I will let you all know if it works okay.

Cedar chip inserts... that would be Glove Dogs. I use them too. Good for keeping them smelling fresh.

Spraying lysol every now and then shouldn't be so bad for the gloves, as long as you don't go overboard. At least, nothing bad's happened so far to mine.

my trainer uses newspaper and it works quite well

QFT. I've had my pair of SSF fairtex-style gloves for over a year and they still smell pretty good. I stuff them with newsaper after every training session. Usually, I'll take it out the next day to air them out.

Dry, dry, dry.
Keep the shit dry with paper towels or something shoved in there.
Also, if there's an extra day, prop them open with something and blow a fan in there.
Keeping your hand wraps clean is good advice.

The bacteria needs moisture to survive.

Various perfumed stuff and antibacterial sprays may help to an extent, but the key is to keep the shit dry.

i have always let my boxing gloves air! i actually will take a barbicide wipes and wipe out the inside (stuff kills everything bacterial/viral/fungil) havent seen any issue as of yet (been 8mo+ since my dr told me about them).

My $.02
-Sean

Back