How to develop a strong hook from your lead hand?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mine still feels weak compared to my left hand (southpaw) how did the likes of Joe Frazier knock people out with it?

I'm an orthodox boxer who is heavily left handed with my hook being my best power punch.

You're always setting up your lead hand hook with your power hand. Make sure you're not just arm punching and twist your feet and torso into the rotation of the lead hook, from the other side of your power hand, and it should feel very crisp and hard.

Do you struggle feeling like you're achieving a stiff jab also?

The power in a lead hook comes from the shift of weight from front foot to back foot, and the rotation of your torso to snap the arm around. Really practice sitting down on your back foot as your lead foot pivots in to feel that leverage.

Anybody has got a video or an explanation of the "gazelle punch", or the good mechanic to throw the lead hook going forward ?

Anybody has got a video or an explanation of the "gazelle punch", or the good mechanic to throw the lead hook going forward ?
Too much Ippo bud

Roy Jones used it a lot:

Jones-bolo-Griffin.gif

And some explanation i found:

The 'gazelle punch' was pretty popular among fast, sharp boxers like Floyd Patterson that liked the throw hooks. Much like the motion of a gazelle, the boxer leaps forward off his front, his back foot following so that both his feet are off the ground at the same time. His rear foot usually lands first and around where his lead foot had started, while his lead foot lands forward on the ground just as the punch connects.

In his rematch with Montel Griffin, Jones uses the gazelle punch to close the distance quickly and end the fight with one decisive punch.

It might seem like a risky punch, but the gazelle punch is unpredictable, covers a lot of ground, and generates tremendous power. Notice that Jones dips low before throwing it to be more evasive. He also coils his body while doing so, getting his weight onto his lead foot and loading his left shoulder. His punch comes low from a blind angle, and closes the distance while his opponent backs away as he skips forward. The amount of force from his forward moving body and his hip rotation, coupled with the blind angle of its approach means that the punch becomes particularly devastating.

Too much Ippo bud
lol
The first time i heard about this technique was with JT Van V. By searching on internet, i saw many links to "Ippo" ( i m not a manga fan...).
By "Gazelle Punch", i meant a "hook while moving forward" which is difficult if you want to weight switch from lead hip to rear hip.
So, the goal is to jump forward throwing the hook and landing with rear foot at the impact ( from what i saw from ARIZE Gif with Roy Jones ) ?

Last edited:
lol
The first time i heard about this technique was with JT Van V. By searching on internet, i saw many links to "Ippo" ( i m not a manga fan...).
By "Gazelle Punch", i meant a "hook while moving forward" which is difficult if you want to weight switch from lead hip to rear hip.
So, the goal is to jump forward throwing the hook and landing with rear foot at the impact ( from what i saw from ARIZE Gif with Roy Jones ) ?

I'm not familiar with the term "Gazelle Punch", but essentially what your describing is just a lunging lead hook. The mechanics are the same as a set hook, it's just a more explosive movement as you lose contact with your base. In short, your using the momentum of the weight shift to lunge into the hook. RJJr had the kind of athletic ability and freakish fast twitch muscle ability to execute explosive movements like this with real power (same with Manny P).

Yeah I don't think the leaping hook is something anyone should be trying or attempting who hasn't mastered a really nice textbook hook.

And even then...

sounds like you may still have your weight on your back foot when throwing the lead hook. you need to have your weight on your front foot. use the straight left (even if you only fake it) to transfer the weight onto your right foot before throwing the right hook. a good drill to practice is to get in a balanced stance and transfer all of your weight from one foot to the other, do this without punching until you are comfortable and then start throwing the cross, right hook pushing off the same foot as the hand you are punching with as you throw your punches.

The power in a lead hook comes from the shift of weight from front foot to back foot, and the rotation of your torso to snap the arm around. Really practice sitting down on your back foot as your lead foot pivots in to feel that leverage.
this. just make sure most of you weight is on the lead foot before throwing the hook

This. Don't leap like a gazelle before you can sit on your punches properly. This will provide both the technique and power for a good lead hook.

The thing about the Gazelle Punch is......you can end up a getting a serious case of Gazelle Legs from it ;)

I've always thought a good way to feel it is to hit it with your lead elbow as hard as you can. Tough to do that without proper weight shift etc.

Last edited:
Assuming proper rotation, how much do the different variants of the hook (i.e. the orientation of the fist and the height of the elbow) influence the power?

Marciano is one to watch if you want to see a properly executed leaping/"gazelle" hook with the set up.

Why are people even talking about leaping hooks in this topic when OP can't even throw a regular hook.

Your arm muscles don't do much except brace. Everything comes from the rotation and weight shift. You can throw a devastating hook with your left arm in a full length cast.

My left hook is my best punch and these are a few things I do:
1. Turn your hand over upon contact. In other words, throw the hook with your palm facing you and as it makes contact try to turn your palm to the ground.
2. Shoot your hips away from your lead hook. Twist left if you are southpaw, twist right if you are orthodox.
3. Sit down on the hook. Just before the punch lands, let yourself sit into a slightly more squatted position. This will make your fist drag down with more force.

Back