How to escape when someone's back mounting you

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
and you are flattened out so your legs are out back straight and they are controlling those under your body. For example

s-l500.jpg

In mma, you have to control one of the opponent's arms at least, and you would have to be quick in attempting to get a knee freed/anything to convince the ref that you're working. This position would be a nightmare when strikes are involved.

In mma, you have to control one of the opponent's arms at least, and you would have to be quick in attempting to get a knee freed/anything to convince the ref that you're working. This position would be a nightmare when strikes are involved.

Wait, but how do you get your knee free when you are stuck there, it's like so hard because your lower body looks like completely stuck If you get stuck there,

You're pretty fucked from there.

Especially in MMA.

You don't want to be in that position, ever.

If the opponent puts you in that position and flattens you, it means he is better than you, has more gas in the tank than you, or both, so you are going to lose.

Wait, but how do you get your knee free when you are stuck there, it's like so hard because your lower body looks like completely stuck If you get stuck there,
I mean, getting your knee/leg free isn't easy at all. But if there is one thing you must do, it is to try and at least free one of them if you want to escape. You could always try and turn towards the mount, but that is also difficult. You could always use your hands to try and clear feet, but you risk getting punched/choked even more.

As others have said, don't let them flatten you out in the first place.

But when i am flattened out, i place my right arm flush on the mat (palm down and arm bent at 90 degree angle) and bring my right knee up to my right elbow. I then bring my left knee up to my left elbow. You have to keep your body very compact when doing this. Now i am on my knees (turtle position). Much better place to be than being flattened out. (Practice by yourself without a partner first and then practice with someone on your back. You can even do this versus someone very heavy once you get good at it)

From here you can look to stand up (basic standup wrestling escape from turtle position). If they don't have both hooks or body triangle, you may be able to hit a Granby roll, a sit out or a switch...these are all common wrestling escapes/reversals.

If they do have their hooks in or body triangle, those wrestling techniques may not work because they can follow your body and ride your back, because of their legs. At this point, you will have to look for a more traditional BJJ back escape. (Millions of videos available for that)

But the whole key for me at least, is once flattened, I must get back to my knees (turtle position) ASAP.

As others have said, don't let them flatten you out in the first place.

But when i am flattened out, i place my right arm flush on the mat (palm down and arm bent at 90 degree angle) and bring my right knee up to my right elbow. I then bring my left knee up to my left elbow. You have to keep your body very compact when doing this. Now i am on my knees (turtle position). Much better place to be than being flattened out. (Practice by yourself without a partner first and then practice with someone on your back. You can even do this versus someone very heavy once you get good at it)

From here you can look to stand up (basic standup wrestling escape from turtle position). If they don't have both hooks or body triangle, you may be able to hit a Granby roll, a sit out or a switch...these are all common wrestling escapes/reversals.

If they do have their hooks in or body triangle, those wrestling techniques may not work because they can follow your body and ride your back, because of their legs. At this point, you will have to look for a more traditional BJJ back escape. (Millions of videos available for that)

But the whole key for me at least, is once flattened, I must get back to my knees (turtle position) ASAP.
But problem is if they got body triangle you cant get back to your knees if they dont allow you to by blocking it

But problem is if they got body triangle you cant get back to your knees if they dont allow you to by blocking it

Most escapes work best when you are on 'top' and the guy on your back is below you; you should prevent letting your opponent pin you chest down and if he does you work to roll back over. Either he goes with you or he lets you spin into mount, in which case you can work an elbow escape.

Back