How to shadow box?

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I managed to fuck up my wrist. Nothing serious but the pain is amazing. I can not lift the bar even on the bench without feeling like my wrist is going to get broken.

I have been very careless with it, so I am taking a huge break from boxing in order to let it heal and fully recover. I am working out with a body builder friend of mine who is very helpful in exercise selection at the gym, so my wrist gets a nice grip and does not get tension. Obviously I am very limited but whatever. Working out is better than not working out.

However regarding boxing. I not want to loose too much. I have had a pretty decent progress lately. I just hit an "aha moment" on which I have been working and improving.

The obvious choice is to shadow box I guess. But I really have no clue how to shadow box and I have few major problem with it
1) How do you know your technique is okay without a coach to watch you and correct? And I have a big problem with thst as I was shadow boxing on my own one summer and picked an amazing amount of bad habits.

2) How do you actually do it? What is your routine? And etc...

Lastly what else can be done in that off time from the boxing gym that can transfer to my boxing? Road work?

you have done enough boxing now to know if your practising bad form. it's actually a lot easier to shadow box with good technique as you aren't worried about timing and power. just make make sure your straights are straight, your hooks are tight, and you are always recovering your guard. shadowboxing is a great time to practice footwork as it is easy to get lazy when your punching the bag (i'm terrible for standing stationary and wailing on the bag). if your worried about form try recording yourself and review the footage. (don't do it too often, it is hard to see improvements and can be discouraging). also don't shorten up your punches for a false sense of speed, this is one of the most common mistakes in shadow sparring.

Shadowboxing is as important as sparring. Do it everyday for 10round for 3 min each and you will see great results. Always go full power and speed while keeping good form.

I like to shadowbox using mirrors and/or simply the my shadow on the wall. Kinda helps you see if you're maintaining form and snap. You can put on some music to help with the rythm.

You could also try facing a video of a fighter on a 50-75% slo-mo and use that to practice.

Can you still do conditioning like "wood choppers" or sledgehammers? It's more of a "pull" motion than a push...might be less taxing on your wrists...

First of all get a brace for your wrist. It will allow it to heal faster
I broke my wrist and was actually able to train both grappling and striking after about a month or two while wearing a brace.
I used this one https://www.betterbraces.com/aircast-a2-wrist-brace

They have two metal plates covered by material on both sides of the wrist but it never gave me problems in both punching and grappling people. Never seemed to scratch or injure anyone.

Shadowboxing, road work, and weights are pretty good things when you have a fucked up wrist

Last edited:
sparring is a big part of the shadow boxing IMO. After sparring I would have an image of that person in my head. They complement one another.

Shadow boxing with mirrors help a lot. If you know and have bad habits id work on them. If you have a problem with your form slow that shit down and work on it till you do it correctly. That's with everything you do related to boxing...

I like to shadowbox using mirrors and/or simply the my shadow on the wall. Kinda helps you see if you're maintaining form and snap. You can put on some music to help with the rythm.

You could also try facing a video of a fighter on a 50-75% slo-mo and use that to practice.

Can you still do conditioning like "wood choppers" or sledgehammers? It's more of a "pull" motion than a push...might be less taxing on your wrists...

Nah, I can not. Actually I have problem with pull exercises more. I cant DL, I cant chin up... anything with pulling but some biceps curls with low weight pains the fuck out of me. Pushing seems hard with straight bars, but I can do peck deck or some machines for example, due to not having to hold a straight bar. Basically if I have to grab and hold something it is painful.

Other than that - solid advice. Tnx :)

Shadowboxing is as important as sparring. Do it everyday for 10round for 3 min each and you will see great results. Always go full power and speed while keeping good form.

Why always full power and full speed? And arent 10 rounds of 3s too much? That is like 30 minutes of active work - full power and speed that is hard workout for daily usage imo.

you have done enough boxing now to know if your practising bad form. it's actually a lot easier to shadow box with good technique as you aren't worried about timing and power. just make make sure your straights are straight, your hooks are tight, and you are always recovering your guard. shadowboxing is a great time to practice footwork as it is easy to get lazy when your punching the bag (i'm terrible for standing stationary and wailing on the bag). if your worried about form try recording yourself and review the footage. (don't do it too often, it is hard to see improvements and can be discouraging). also don't shorten up your punches for a false sense of speed, this is one of the most common mistakes in shadow sparring.

Recording sounds good. I have no mirrors and etc to use unfortunately ... yeah I know what a house without mirrors but at spots where I can shadow box there are no mirrors.

Rd 1: movement, head movement and defense only.
Rd 2: same as rd 1, but add the jab
Rd 3: same as rd 2, but add lead hooks and uppercuts
Rd4: same as rd 3, but add straight rights
Rd5: same as rd 4, but add rear hooks and uppercuts

You’re welcome.

This is a good thread, I just recently got back in a fight gym, and need to shadowbox when I'm not there so I can hone my skill. I did not want to post a thread like this because I did not want nobody to think I'm a troll like some people do. I need help with shadowboxing too. Carry on!

Last edited:
You can tell when guys haven't been shadowboxing.

Shadowboxing helps with practicing your basics, and ingraining your movement pattern into your CNS.

I fight how I shadowbox, they are the same.

Try to make your shadowboxing realistic. Work on things you can do in a fight.

The other stuff just looks good, and is for conditioning.

Do roadwork, work footwork (pivots, walk off), defense (head movement), and study tapes.

You try to bang with the air. Use your imagination mostly

go to a gym, one with a big mirror, the one with all the free weights and the most visibility, begin shadow boxing

go to a gym, one with a big mirror, the one with all the free weights and the most visibility, begin shadow boxing

He can just buy a mirror I don't think those shits are expensive, but he can just buy those things.

Pretty good, I was hoping to get a fight before the end of the year but I don't think that's going to happen. If I can get a smoker that would.be great too.
sounds great. make sure your well prepared though, losing fights only teaches you to lose, especially at this point of your career. as they say "confidence is king in the ring". how's the bag work progressing? i would like to see another video to see how much you have improved.

sounds great. make sure your well prepared though, losing fights only teaches you to lose, especially at this point of your career. as they say "confidence is king in the ring". how's the bag work progressing? i would like to see another video to see how much you have improved.

Got ya, I'll post one soon. I'm normally only going there for the classes, sometimes I stay after to hit the bag, I will post another one. Something I should mention is, they don't really have a striking class they do have one like once a week than it's sparring and then ground and pound sparring, but they do have open mat a lot of the times on fri's. So maybe on fri. When some people stay after class I usually have the fighters coach me on the bag.

I actually thought that losing my first fight would actually teach me something but I guess not. If not this year early next year I'll have a fight. I'm sure of it. And I'm going to make sure I'll be well prepared.

I actually thought that losing my first fight would actually teach me something but I guess not. If not this year early next year I'll have a fight. I'm sure of it. And I'm going to make sure I'll be well prepared.
don't fight or anything like that. just turn gay instead

Back