how to swing your arm while kicking

Very good, and one of the most important fundamentals of Muay Thai.
Besides it is good to see a video recorded by a forum participant because we only speak with each other through text.

interesting stuff. my knowledge about kickboxing to fairly limited (kinda make it up as i go allow) so it's cool to learn about techniques i have been winging for years.

I used to do the arm down, but never liked it, it always fucks with my balance, been doing the arm across since I switched gyms, and my pivot goes through stronger, and its a counterweight for me so balance aint an issue

Swing your arm in the way that gives you the best balance, for some people it's more downwards, others it's more sideways, it all depends on the mechanics of your kick. Heck, you'll even see the same fighter swinging his arm differently depending on the targeting & balance on his kicks. Experiment and play around, throw low kicks and try out all the different arm swings, then go body and do the same, then repeat with high kicks. Also, throw the kicks straight from your stance, stepping into them, or on the retreat while trying out different arm swings. See what works best for you, it might be the same swing for every kick or it might be different.

In my case I was also taught arm down which worked pretty well for me on everything except low kicks. On my low kicks I prefer a diagonal to sideways swing while my body or high kicks work better with a more downward swing.

Swing your arm in the way that gives you the best balance, for some people it's more downwards, others it's more sideways, it all depends on the mechanics of your kick. Heck, you'll even see the same fighter swinging his arm differently depending on the targeting & balance on his kicks. Experiment and play around, throw low kicks and try out all the different arm swings, then go body and do the same, then repeat with high kicks. Also, throw the kicks straight from your stance, stepping into them, or on the retreat while trying out different arm swings. See what works best for you, it might be the same swing for every kick or it might be different.

In my case I was also taught arm down which worked pretty well for me on everything except low kicks. On my low kicks I prefer a diagonal to sideways swing while my body or high kicks work better with a more downward swing.

exactly right, comes down to personal preference. Its generally taught down in the west only, and nothing wrong with downwards, this is just a variation. I typically see more thais swing in a horizontal direction, youll see some swing down as well.

For myself, I find horizontal really helps with the switch kick, since the hip is already fwd a bit, its harder to get that extra little pivot. I find the more horizontal I swing my arm, the later the pivoting point is in the kick.

I would agree with you as good advice to experiment with the arm position for all kicks and on both sides. Something I left out in the video, is you can also play with what way your palm is facing, down, or back.

swinging horizontal will prevent you from doing this.

down
23167466_10215518656105927_4170563385037691772_n.jpg

horizontal
15095438_10211696036062815_4752004347101338221_n.jpg

I’ve always liked arm down and tucking my chin into that shoulder, but I also have severely limited mobility which explains why. Great video man

I prefer not to swing it. Instead, I put my whole body into it, like an exaggerated step.

1924-french-boxing.jpg

But I'm not an MT guy anyway.

I prefer not to swing it. Instead, I put my whole body into it, like an exaggerated step.

1924-french-boxing.jpg

But I'm not an MT guy anyway.

that picture looks like savate. I know in savate they put the rear arm up in that type of position while kicking. but savate kick is more of a snap kick rather than swinging

I always carry a 10kg kettle bell in each hand..... during sparring........my kicks are that powerful I need them to counter balance my kicks.....and @Azam said hands are useless in MT anyway.....

I always carry a 10kg kettle bell in each hand..... during sparring........my kicks are that powerful I need them to counter balance my kicks.....and @Azam said hands are useless in MT anyway.....
Arize not azam. Lol

@j123 your love for fried chicken, both fascinates me and repulses me at the same time......

giphy.gif

As far as the thread goes - it varies but usually i throw my arm out then swing down when I kick.

So jelly of Black Beast's lifetime popeyes deal

You just need to work harder.......and one day you might be as big a chicken lover......as Black Beast.....

But it is a well known fact that the real prize of the fight between Daniel Cormier and Black Beast was actually shares in Popeye's.........it's one thing to have a never ending supply of fried chicken but it is a truly unique opportunity to shape the very future of fried chicken.....

Back