How to transition between kicks and punches?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How can I make the transition from kicking range to punching range more fluid, and vice versa? I want to miss less.

Let's clarify some things: Are you asking how to close space in general, how to do combinations that have kicks followed by punches, how to close space with kicks into punching range, or something else?
The answer any way is proper footwork, but the right tactic is going to depend on what you are trying to accomplish in what sort of context.

Let's clarify some things: Are you asking how to close space in general, how to do combinations that have kicks followed by punches, how to close space with kicks into punching range, or something else?
The answer any way is proper footwork, but the right tactic is going to depend on what you are trying to accomplish in what sort of context.
I want to be able to dictate the range well enough so that whether I follow a kick with a punch or if I follow a punch with a kick they both will land in their own respective ranges. No punches in kick range hitting air or kicks in punch range without enough room to get full extension. I've been thinking of just working the jab alot more but I'm looking for more advice about this.

Thai pads and sparring imo
Also back and forth drills where one guys defends and the other attacks

Lead hook-rear low kick-cross-lead body kick-cross-lead hook- rear low kick- lead hook-cross- lead head kick

Iv drilled this specific combination for around 3 or 4 months and i found its help me transition from punches to kicks and kicks to punches.As well bazooka joe has some videos on it specifically episode #17 building combinations #3 and #4 thats punches to kicks and kicks to punches accordingly

I always felt that Savate fighters had the market cornered on this specific practice:

Not speaking about their form specifically, but just their awareness of when you're close enough for a punch or far enough for a kick

Your weight might be too far back after punches or you're telegraphing it massively by pre-step, pre-pivot, or lag in timing that your partner/opponent backs out before

Back