How well would thai muay thai fighters do in the ufc...

doubleg

I will reak
Banned
Reaction score
Havnt seen a pure top.class muay thai stadium champ in the ufc. I wonder if they could have a chance in the ufc?

With no other discipline?
There are plenty MT fighters

Havnt seen a pure top.class muay thai stadium champ in the ufc. I wonder if they could have a chance in the ufc?
If they can't stop this, they won't do very well..

ql9YDL3.gif

Judging by your username, you should know this..

How well would bowlers do?

Muay Thai is the best striking base for MMA IMO.

This is largely because it already prepares you for clinch work, and knees are helpful for dealing with wrestlers.

But we’ve already been through the whole “pure” martial artist thing...it doesn’t work anymore. You have to be well rounded to be successful in MMA.

That’s all there is to it.

Oh great, thanks for sending this here mods...

It’s all about how they adapt their game to fully encompass all aspects of fighting.

Obviously they would do good on striking exchanges, but I have trained with regional champs who have pieced me up on the feet sparring but when it game to grappling they become a fish out of water.

There are also little details about changing a pure kickboxing game over to MMA that really matter.
Such as the glove size. It’s much easier to block strikes with big gloves and that can be a physical tendency for a lot of kickboxers/boxers to compensate that few inches of space with their glove. Rather with 4oz gloves, it is much harder to shell up and leaves a lot more openings.
An example would be to watch Gokhan Saki UFC fights, he doesn’t cover up properly to accommodate for the glove size.

But With that said, I’ve seen plenty of guys adapt high level Muay Thai to MMA. And seeing a top class stadium fighter do well would be plausible as long as they learn how to encompass grappling and tweak their style for MMA.

Watch some Malaipet ShoXC fights or some Rambaa Somdet fights. I'm sure there are other examples, but those are the ones that come to mind when thinking about pure Muay Thai guys in MMA.

I think they’d do well because they have got the stand up and Muay Thai clinch is the same as Greco roman so they have excellent takedown defence and can do takedowns

Why has this landed on this forum? The question is about MMA and UFC...

I think Thai fighters would do better than any other strikers against grapplers because they have developed really great balance and strength from their clinch work, but at the same time a really kick heavy style and a weight back stance aren't the best for mma, so they would have to adjust in that regard. Boxing also compliments wrestling better imo, so for a wrestler trying to diversify his game with some striking, he's better off trying to be a wrestle boxer than a wrestle kicker. I also think as you get into the heavier weight classes punching becomes more and more important but all the elite Thais are in light weight classes anyways.

Back