How would Bas Rutten do in MMA today?

really miss him clomping around in those boots

Is this assuming he is a healthy young version with old training or healthy young version with modern training?

Exactly, I've never understood these threads.

If modern training, diet, etc, were being used, wouldn't almost every formerly successful fighter do well today?

I'm not sure exactly where you're drawing the lines to separate these 'cohorts', but I'm pretty sure I disagree. (That's a really strange way to use that word, btw.) I think the floor has gone up significantly more in MMA than the ceiling. I think 2008-2009 BJ Penn could hang with any lightweight in the world. Same goes for GSP, Fedor, Anderson, and Sakurai at their peaks. I think the guys outside the top 10 of any given division are way better now than they used to be, though. I think 2008 GSP and Anderson would beat the current champs in their divisions, actually.

It is hard to draw the lines, and somewhat arbitrary, like when people try to categorize who is generation x and who is a millennial. But remember how Wanderlei Silva was a big LHW? Now he would be a small to medium sized MW.

And I agree with your assessment of Penn, Sakurai, and those other guys. But keep in mind Bas is from a cohort of fighters that was long before any of those guys, and the skill disparity between great MMA fighters of his time and those of Anderson Silva’s prime would be even greater than the disparity between those who were in a more recent cohort.

I also agree that GSP in his prime would at least be a really tough matchup for Woodley. Anderson would probably do well against Whittaker, but not so great against Romero.

In short, I agree with most of what you said. However, the word cohorts is pretty standard when discussing groups of people, especially when they are separated by points in time.

this is similar to what I was gonna say. Bas showed an incredibly high fight IQ, and an insane ability to not only learn new skills quickly, but to be able to successfully put them into practice almost immediately. If he was around today and being the fighter and sponge he was back then, there's no reason to think he wouldn't be a monster.

Bas lived and breathed fighting. I heard him say that when he was coming up he had lines of tape on the floor all over his house. to simulate the center line in fighting. and he was constantly aware of his balance, weight distribution and body positioning at all times. and it was all geared towards perfecting his fighting.

even his workouts were insane. remember those old workout videos and books he put out? those were nuts and it was just him and the simple, but highly effective techniques he came up with to get into and stay in fighting shape.

you take that kind of OCD personality and put him in a modern training camp, and he could seriously do some damage to these pansy, "owe I sprained my ankle I can't fight now," so called "athletes" and prima donnas we have polluting todays mixed martial arts.

Prime Bas teleported to today: Gets wrestlefucked consistently

Prime Bas with modern training: MONSTER. Could be dual MW and LHW champ.

How would a battle of the Dutch turned out?

Rutten vs Mousasi
Rutten vs Overeem

Rutten loses to both of them by submission?

How would a battle of the Dutch turned out?

Rutten vs Mousasi
Rutten vs Overeem

Rutten loses to both of them by submission?
If you´re talkin´ about Allistair, zero chance he gets a sub over a post-Pancrase Bas .

Now, Valentijn could indeed surprise him with a kneebar or a toe hold.

Mousasi wouldnt sub Bas.

Bas was always a threat
True Warrior/Motherfuc.ker
Tough as nails
Great Mentor

Overrated as fuck in sherdog though..

Top 5 MW and up smoke him though.

As much as I like him, he'd get murked.... bad

He had practically no take down defense and could be held down at will. He trained wrestling even back then and it didn't help him one bit. He's just done of those fighters who weren't built for TDD, like that guy I forgot the name of but he knocked out Dan Hardy.

bas rutten is the typical old school fighter in 90s mma but he was ahead of the times in his game.

i think good because he already was a well rounded fighter with a fight IQ in the past but i think he would have problems against guys like jon jones or cormier or rumble.

Last edited:
Fedor vs todays heavyweights is one thing. I think he would kick ass.

Bas today would not do well. His skill set is awesome but limited. And that won't work anymore.

Who from that time (taken as they were back then) would do great in today's MMA? The sport has drastically evolved since then.

However if you just take Bas Rutten and give him today's training and techniques, he'd probably be a champ in this era too. He's got a mental attitude that's hard to defeat.

It is hard to draw the lines, and somewhat arbitrary, like when people try to categorize who is generation x and who is a millennial. But remember how Wanderlei Silva was a big LHW? Now he would be a small to medium sized MW.

And I agree with your assessment of Penn, Sakurai, and those other guys. But keep in mind Bas is from a cohort of fighters that was long before any of those guys, and the skill disparity between great MMA fighters of his time and those of Anderson Silva’s prime would be even greater than the disparity between those who were in a more recent cohort.

I also agree that GSP in his prime would at least be a really tough matchup for Woodley. Anderson would probably do well against Whittaker, but not so great against Romero.

In short, I agree with most of what you said. However, the word cohorts is pretty standard when discussing groups of people, especially when they are separated by points in time.
In my experience, cohorts is usually used for people who do something together, not just people who do the same thing.

Anyway, yeah, I just think Bas was far ahead of his time and really athletic. I think he could compete with any LHW who didn't work the takedown.

No, I don't remember Wand being a big LHW. He was smaller than Chuck, Randy, Rampage, Shogun, Reem, Forrest, Bonnar, Jardine, and others. I agree that fighters have gotten significantly bigger on average, especially at WW and MW, but I don't think Wand is a good example of someone who used to be considered large for the weight class.

This thread is a laugh a minute:

1. Wand would be a small MW.
2. Bas would not ve well-rounded enough (compared to Woodley, Colby, DC, Stipe, Khabib, Bisping, Gus, Volkan, Maia, Rumble, and several others who are virtually one-dimensional as wrestlers, grapplers or sprawl-and-brawlers).
3. The game has changed with these young studs (there are a ton of fighters age 35+ who are champs and contenders -- most of them, in fact, in the top classes)
4. He'd be submitted regularly (virtually no athletic fighters are regularly submitted in 2018).

Sherdog, keep Sherdogging.

Today he wouldn’t be fighting a Randleman who just laid in your guard. Someone like Glover would crush the 1999 version of Bas.

Back