How would you handle going back to the pre-Internet, pre-television days of radio?

I can only tell you my experiences. I didn't notice people starting to really retreat from one another until 1990-present. Up until then your choices were pretty easy to make and almost none of them included sitting at home. If you were a kid before the internet era then you went outside with your friends and played until dark. If you were a teen then you went to the local lake with some guys and girls or you went to a party or even just to the library, anywhere but home. Adults were also affected by this even if it was to a lesser degree. Let me tell you something, the house gets real boring real fast with no internet and no cable T.V. It sort of forces people to seek out others more often.

So yea, its one of those situations where if you weren't there to see the definite difference then all I can offer is sort of anecdotal evidence but it certainly felt like a different time.

It makes sense and I get what you are saying. This is something that's trended for a long time though...people probably started becoming more isolated after WW2 with people moving out to the surburbs, better tv options, air conditioning..etc. You might not have notice this until 1990 but i'd venture that people from the 1920s probably considered the 80s MTV generation to be recluses from their perspectives. Example; this photo is NYC in 1900. It was a different world when there was no radio, no tv, no air conditioning. I'm sure the perspective from then was a lot different than the 60s or 80s. http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/wp...ulberry-Street-Detroit-Publishing-Company.jpg

You're saying cable TV becoming really big in 1990 was the big change....i'd say the internet boom around 2000(when broadband really came into play) was by far the biggest jump we've seen as a society. I mean shit, it's 2018 and here we are discussing this on a forum that started in 2001 or 2002.

tenor.gif

bring it. It will make the world a better place to live.

I would get a transistor radio that runs on a 9 volt and listen to it while riding my bike with a banana seat

It makes sense and I get what you are saying. This is something that's trended for a long time though...people probably started becoming more isolated after WW2 with people moving out to the surburbs, better tv options, air conditioning..etc. You might not have notice this until 1990 but i'd venture that people from the 1920s probably considered the 80s MTV generation to be recluses from their perspectives. Example; this photo is NYC in 1900. It was a different world when there was no radio, no tv, no air conditioning. I'm sure the perspective from then was a lot different than the 60s or 80s. http://stuffnobodycaresabout.com/wp...ulberry-Street-Detroit-Publishing-Company.jpg

You're saying cable TV becoming really big in 1990 was the big change....i'd say the internet boom around 2000(when broadband really came into play) was by far the biggest jump we've seen as a society. I mean shit, it's 2018 and here we are discussing this on a forum that started in 2001 or 2002.

I petty much concur. I have nothing to add.

raw

Before the Internet, there was television. And before television, there was radio.

How do you think you'd handle it if you had to go back to that bygone era, when radio was the most advanced mass communication device to be found inside a home and a fun night indoors was the family gathered around the radio listening to the latest episode of The Shadow?

For news and entertainment there's the radio, newspapers and books, or if you want to go out then there are movie theaters. No Internet. No TV sitting in the living room. No smartphones.

Could you handle it or no?

e1ef546a92cf70a8f0f8ac82fdcf4176.jpg
Yes, and I think society would almost be better for it too.

I grew up when TV was only about 30 yrs old. No cell phones, no internets, nothing.
It was pretty simple I guess, but I like the amazing access we have now to almost everything.
Twitter and FB I could do without though, just a place for abject narcissism and self-absorbed whining.

A heavier reliance on community lasted a helluva lot longer than just the first half of the 20th century. Radio and television didn't provide any real demarcation from the way people were leading their lives. You have to remember that for the longest time there was no cable television. You had, if you were lucky, channels 4, 5, 8, 11, 13, and possibly some UHF like 27, 33, and 39. Meaning, there wasn't shit on television. I don't even remember my family even having basic cable until at least 1983-85ish. So what I'm saying is, you don't have to go all the way back to radio, the world was essentially the same even after the advent of television.

Everything changed in society when computers and specifically cell phones began its march towards becoming ubiquitous. Even in the 1980's a common week would be work, go out, work, go out all week then on the weekends go to the local lake and drink beer with a group of people or something similar, but always out and always with groups of friends or family. I can't ever remember being home in the 1980's man. There was no reason to be home unless you were going to sleep or eat. Everything really began to change from 1990 to present, so it happened quickly, in about 25 years. I would say at least 90% of the 20th century was an entirely different reality than what we are experiencing now. Only the last 10 years of the century did I notice any difference in what people did as far as interaction and being around people all the time.

In the 80s and 90s, you could go out and if there was a favorite TV show, you could just record it with VHS and come back and see what you missed. But damn, that was some inconvenient shit.

As far s now goes, I have become addicted to those horror narrating channels and so, if there was a horror radio station, then fuck it I am down to go to that time line.

I love listening to pod cast so I'm guessing I'd really enjoy radio as a source of entertainment.

Back