How would you matchmake the LW division?

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I think we can all agree Khabib is fighting McGregor next and that fight won't happen till November.

If McGregor wins, he will go Diaz and Mayweather on us, so let's not even discuss that option.

So let's assume Khabib wins, I think we can all agree that they will most likely schedule a rematch in March 2019 (excluding injuries).

Let's assume again that Khabib wins, he won't see him till fall 2019 (Ramadan hiatus).

With fighters like Ferguson, Alvarez, Poirier, Barboza, Kevin Lee and Justin Gaethje in the Top 10. How would you matchmake this division if neither get a title shot till fall 2019 (1 year and a half)?

Khabib will likely face the winner of Lee-Barboza or the winner of Poirier-Lee/Barboza.

I'm booking Khabib/Poirer today. Alvarez can fight the winner of Lee/Barboza for the next shot. Gaethje would be set to fight James Vick. Re-book Chiesa/Pettis and Iaquinta/Felder. Forget Conor exist until his legal woes have run their course. Forget Tony Ferg exist until he's healthy and give him a title shot regardless of who holds the belt at the time.

Last edited:
I'm booking Khabib/Poirer today. Alvarez can fight the winner of Lee/Barboza for the next shot. Gaethje would be set to fight James Vick.

I like it, especially considering that no one knows when Ferguson will be healthy and who knows whats going on with Mcgregor's legal situation and the whole mayweather MMA bullshit. I especially like the James Vick vs Justin Gaethje fight.... I also wouldn't mind if Paul Felder fought Vick or Gaethje.

I'm not a fan of having a health Khabib sit around doing nothing to 7 months or of letting Conor fight this year after the bus incident. I'd rather they just schedule Alvarez against Khabib and keep him active.

The winner of Barboza/Lee should be fighting Poirier next.

Justin Gaethje can fight Al Iaguinta

Chiesa/Pettis should be rescheduled

I like it, especially considering that no one knows when Ferguson will be healthy and who knows whats going on with Mcgregor's legal situation and the whole mayweather MMA bullshit. I especially like the James Vick vs Justin Gaethje fight.... I also wouldn't mind if Paul Felder fought Vick or Gaethje.
Or his original fight with Al.

Conor/Kabib is the obvious fight to make by if Conor isn't available then go Kabib/Alvarez and have Poirer fighting on the same card in case Khabib or Alvarez pulls out.

I'm not a fan of having a health Khabib sit around doing nothing to 7 months or of letting Conor fight this year after the bus incident. I'd rather they just schedule Alvarez against Khabib and keep him active.

That sounds great but I really want to see Ferguson vs Khabib when Ferguson is healed up. Surely it wouldn't be cancelled again?

IMO Poirier is more deserving of the TS now and the difference in time between potentially booking Khabib/Alvarez and Khabib/Poirier should be minimal.

Sep 15, 2018 Olympic Stadium Moscow, Russia - Mark your calendars.

Realistically Khabib is fighting Dustin next .... i honestly don't see Conor stepping up to fight Khabib , the reason why he had that meltdown and attacked the bus was because he knew people are starting to see through the Conor fiasco.

Conors only way of being relevant is to create somekind of spectacle of himself , it sure as hell won't be by being the best fighter he can be.

I think we can all agree Khabib is fighting McGregor next and that fight won't happen till November.

If McGregor wins, he will go Diaz and Mayweather on us, so let's not even discuss that option.

So let's assume Khabib wins, I think we can all agree that they will most likely schedule a rematch in March 2019 (excluding injuries).

Let's assume again that Khabib wins, he won't see him till fall 2019 (Ramadan hiatus).

With fighters like Ferguson, Alvarez, Poirier, Barboza, Kevin Lee and Justin Gaethje in the Top 10. How would you matchmake this division if neither get a title shot till fall 2019 (1 year and a half)?

-Khabib vs Dustin in NYC Nov 2018
-Conor vs Nate 3 in a boxing ring in Vegas Oct or Dec 2018
-Ferguson vs Chiesa in Seattle 2019, or vs Nate in San Jose or LA 2019
-Alvarez vs Lee in Neb Aug 2018
-Barboza vs Gillespie in NYC Nov 2018
-Gaethje vs Iaquinta in NYC Nov 2018
-Vick vs Felder in Idaho Jul 2018
-Pettis vs Sage in LA Aug 2019
-Mercier vs Khabilov in Can Jul 2018
-Hernandez vs Magomedev in Rus Sep 2018

Not sure why some think Khabib fights in Russia in Sep? It's a non ppv card,so obviously Khabib isn't fighting on it.

Get a healthy Ferguson... Let Mcgregor have his court date... While waiting on that have Khabib defend against a top contender... Poirier... The division could be top-tier.

A royal rumble. You must eliminate you opponent by throwing them over the cage

1. Khabib v Porier
2. Ferguson v winner of Khabib/Porier
3. Mcgregor v State of New York
4. Alvarez v winner of Lee/Barboza
5. Gaethje v Al
6. Felder v Vick
7. Chiesa v Showtime

Mcgregor Vs Diaz 3 or Khabib when he returns. But by god please don't give this man another belt in a new weight class to be stripped (Welterweight)

Last edited:
I would strip Khabib and give the belt to Denis Siver. Looking back, it is actually amazing how Conor won that fight, if Siver had not of gotten bored in the second round he would have beat Conor.

I want the next wave of 155 to take over the 10-15 spots.

mairbek taisumiv
Rustum Khabilov
Leo Dos Santos
David Teymur
Gregor Gillespie
Alan Patrick
OAM
Alexander Hernandez

are gonna take over the old school stalwarts like Dunham, Diaz, Chiesa, Pettis, etc.

That sounds great but I really want to see Ferguson vs Khabib when Ferguson is healed up. Surely it wouldn't be cancelled again?
That fight has to happen, but I'd assume recovering from knee surgery that the UFC would want to give Ferg a tune up fight first.

Conor who?
Nate who?
Should put your focus on current active fighters.
I like the Dustin ts, Eddy should get Tony as a title eliminator fight ( or give tony the ts when he return). Vick should get winner or loser of Lee vs barboza. He had paid his dues and needs to get a top 5 guy.
Raging Al and Eddy would be a good fight to set a Challenger.
So many great match ups in the lw division

I'm booking Khabib/Poirer today. Alvarez can fight the winner of Lee/Barboza for the next shot. Gaethje would be set to fight James Vick. Re-book Chiesa/Pettis and Iaquinta/Felder. Forget Conor exist until his legal woes have run their course. Forget Tony Ferg exist until he's healthy and give him a title shot regardless of who holds the belt at the time.

Regarding Conor, has the UFC said anything? i mean other than TMZ style videos with Dana White, they didnt hesitate much on suspending and stripping Jones for the hit & run, this shit is actually way worse (imo).

Back