Howard Davis is horrible pad holder

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score

Chuck is not the most smooth or fancy striker. But come on..

A lot of trainers in boxing use mitts for little more than ego-stroking. In other words, they make their fighters feel good, and feel like work is being done even if it's not. After all, for most of them, the goal is to sustain a living, not necessarily do amazing things.

That mitt work sucks. Not sure how you could NOT see that.

I have a theory on what's good holding and that's palm facing up, not down. It sure feels better to punch against that.

i didnt see anything wrong? chuck looks a little rusty perhaps but def not bad for his age. isnt he like 50 now?

Chuck look like should look. Its the guy holding the mitts i have a problem with.

i didnt see anything wrong? chuck looks a little rusty perhaps but def not bad for his age. isnt he like 50 now?

Davis shorts literally every punch thrown by Chuck because he brings the mitt to meet him at almost halfway there or more.

Also, the way he's using pads makes it so there's "two heads" of your opponent; the hook is where someone would be in one position, and the straight somewhere else - it's not helpful when the punches are in the same combo, but the mitts are if the opponent would be in two different positions.

Maybe he just wanted it to look good for the camera with some thuds or something, we never really know with relatively short clips, but yeah, nothing good was gained from that.

A lot of trainers in boxing use mitts for little more than ego-stroking. In other words, they make their fighters feel good, and feel like work is being done even if it's not. After all, for most of them, the goal is to sustain a living, not necessarily do amazing things.
literally exactly what I do with my fitness clients. Sad to see people do this with competitive fighters

Chuck looks awful as well.

Hah well yeah. I mean this is Chuck quite a few years into retirement. Just starting to get back into shape after losing some weight. Like i said: chuck look he should look.

After watching that I realise my pad holding is Ajhan Gae level ;)

Hah well yeah. I mean this is Chuck quite a few years into retirement. Just starting to get back into shape after losing some weight. Like i said: chuck look he should look.

Meh, I haven't done jack shit in 4 years, but I can throw punches with my elbows and chin down.

Meh, I haven't done jack shit in 4 years, but I can throw punches with my elbows and chin down.

Come on Luis. You know what i mean. Even in his prime liddell was not that technical clean. His power and timing was probably his best attribute. His footwork was also very underrated.

On the other side.. Maybe that kind of static boring padwork is what chuck likes to do. This is nine years old.

Back