Howcome Americans like NFL but not rugby?

It's purely cultural, because objectively speaking NFL is boring as fuck. Nothing happens. "But it's physical chess", well thats dynamite but so is BJJ and I don't see anyone watching that shit either. Unless you're emotionally invested in the game through culture there's nothing appealing about it as a spectator sport.

I’m not sure I agree. The huge hits and long bomb touchdowns can be very fun to watch.

In fact since he was mentioned, just noticed it's three years to the day since we lost the big man tragically early. RIP Jonah:

14.gif

eight_col_BqwlaU.gif

13.gif

American football is the fastest growing sport in the UK, so really I think most Brits would prefer American football to rugby.

On a tactical level there is zero comparison. Rugby is like two defenses playing against each other.

American football is the fastest growing sport in the UK, so really I think most Brits would prefer American football to rugby.

On a tactical level there is zero comparison. Rugby is like two defenses playing against each other.

I really don't think so. Other than the Super Bowl, mainly because of the spectacle, there is very little interest.

A lot of it is just indoctrination. In America, from the time you are born, football is celebrated almost like a religion. Personally, I think it is one of the most boring sports to watch. Especially if you see it live.

Any suggestion that another country could have conceived of a sport that is even close to being on the same level as football is something most Americans immediately reject because it is seen as an affront to America itself.

When it comes to USA's love for football I really think it's something that runs deep on a level of like genetic predisposition, our ancestors left Europe to come here your ancestors stayed in Europe, there is something in our genes from those ancestors that makes us really like and understand and relate to the core concept of American football; one strong leader taking his team on a 97 yard game winning drive throwing the football the way it is thrown, battling against the clock and the threat of being physically maimed by the defense, the way Montana did it in Super Bowl XXIII, the way Elway did it in the 86 playoffs against the Browns, those moments are what the sport is intended to create strikes a chord with us on a very deep level, it's why the sport doesn't really resonate outside of the USA and it's why we don't really give a shit about any other sport.

Rugby League is way better than Rugby Union. One thing I hated about RU is team scores are mainly from penalty kicks, i guess tries are hard to come by but it's boring to watch as a league spectator.

Well I just got back from Wales vs Tonga .

Met up with a load of Bath fans on the way home. Good chat with them.

Got the England and Japan game to watch later on along with the Ireland vs New Zealand as well. I suspect I'll watch that with my youngest if it was such a good game....

Got into rugby a few years back due to my son starting to play. Good game.

Yeah man. I know what you mean.

I love a good bath every now and then.

I don't usually meet up with people to talk about it, but whatever, man.

I think it’s just because we didn’t grow up knowing what it was. I couldn’t name a rugby player if I had to. Serious question: does rugby have a big player? like a Michael Jordan, tiger woods,Serena Williams type? Maybe if there was a star they could market to American fans it could gain some popularity.

No, black people don't play rugby if thats what you're asking.

However, american football is by far the sport where the whole team contributes to every play and the success of the team in general.

The whole team contributes to every play?
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't American football have completely seperate teams for when they're attacking and defending?

We have the best athletes in the world. Countries where rugby is popular do not. You're looking at B tier athletes.

Not really. UK and Australia are strong sporting nations and perform very well in the olympics, compared to their population size.

Lol. So is rugby mostly European? Or is it like soccer, where the whole world is into it except America?

Mostly European.

I was joking though I know there are some black players here and there. Samoans too.

Always wondered, in recent years rugby in the USA is more prominent than before, and watching/supporting rugby wouldn't take away from watching NFL. Im not arguing which one is better here (rugby obviously), but howcome both sports aren't as big?

Considering they both involve fucking machines smashing into each other to get a ball?

Ireland are playing New Zealand right now- and it is an amazing game. 110 tackles made in the first 17 minutes, and in rugby you can only tackle the guy with the ball...
Because we didn't grow up watching rugby. We grew up watching the NFL...

Because Americans aren't very good at it.

Yeah man. I know what you mean.

I love a good bath every now and then.

I don't usually meet up with people to talk about it, but whatever, man.

We like to compare lotions that we rub on our skin afterwards. And which bubble bath is the best. And don't get me started on bath salts.

Last edited:

Not a great example when rugby is the fastest growing sport in the US, at least it was a few years ago.

I really don't think so. Other than the Super Bowl, mainly because of the spectacle, there is very little interest.

All the UK games have sold out for years, it's the fastest growing sport in the country. The nfl show on the BBC is very funny.

The number of Brits that identify as avid nfl fans is 4 million, that's double the number 6 years ago. 4 games are played a year over here now.

I'm just right on this one.

Last edited:
Not a great example when rugby is the fastest growing sport in the US, at least it was a few years ago.

Good point, but I believe both can be true. The games played over here and the huge interest is a direct result of how interested Brits are in the nfl, once they understand it.

Back