How's my technique (srs)

Find the Door

Sherdog Heavyweight Champ (Big Nog)
@Yellow
Reaction score
How's Dr Door's technique? I feel like my straight is there and I'm starting to incorporate my body hook to tail combos.

Seems like you are leaning forward when you throw your right. Don't lean and instead get the extension from your arms. If you need to move closer you move your feet.

You are obviously not trained, so go to a gym and get proper training. That's the only advice that anyone should give you.

You are obviously not trained, so go to a gym and get proper training. That's the only advice that anyone should give you.

Yeah. Thats the only right answer to give here. Its not mean or hate. We cant hate on something thats not there anyway.

Find a gym. Start training.

Time and experience will take care of the rest.

Seems like you are leaning forward when you throw your right. Don't lean and instead get the extension from your arms. If you need to move closer you move your feet.

Appreciate it

More of a shit post if anything (my original post) but still this is something I'll incorporate. Jiu-Jitsu takes a lot of my time as is. Figured it's time to start working on some boxing.

No offense taken at all guys - I knowingly posted it to get blasted. So thank you

Man, the standup section is really doing well these days! Lots of vids being posted, good responses and people legitimately being interested in helping each other out! Nice.

Man, the standup section is really doing well these days! Lots of vids being posted, good responses and people legitimately being interested in helping each other out! Nice.

Well that is what the stand up section is for basically. I was wondering why when I joined the site back in 2015 or 2014 I forgot, but I was wondering why no one was posting videos. And everybody has been helpful when I post videos looking for advice too.

How's Dr Door's technique? I feel like my straight is there and I'm starting to incorporate my body hook to tail combos.

Almost no hip movement. Try to use your bodyweight more, step into your punches. Also, make them *snap*, none of that "karate, forcing/pushing punches" shit. That simply doesn't fly in full contact sports. In other words;

ROTATE HIPS
STEP INTO PUNCHES
MAKE THEM SNAP

Like literally everyone else (including Joe Louis and Mike Tyson), you're going to have to walk in there, and have a trainer tweak and modify every little aspect of what you are doing before it will click right. And then same thing, keep working on it as you modify out the wrinkles.

You seem able enough, if you stay passionate without getting stupid you can progress very rapidly

It's not about being tough, it's about doing things smart. That's literally it.

Everyone tries to go the "tough" route and their progress gets delayed by years as they run into the same wall over and over throughout their lifetime. Just be controlled and smart, you can whiz past everyone

Don't worry about sparring-- they don't put you in to spar until you're ready and if you never want to spar until you feel like it, they'll let you do that too. Get private lessons if you want to learn quickly (highly recommended), it will get you off to a very nice headstart, you can even do these before you go to regular group classes

Good luck

Like literally everyone else (including Joe Louis and Mike Tyson), you're going to have to walk in there, and have a trainer tweak and modify every little aspect of what you are doing before it will click right. And then same thing, keep working on it as you modify out the wrinkles.

You seem able enough, if you stay passionate without getting stupid you can progress very rapidly

It's not about being tough, it's about doing things smart. That's literally it.

Everyone tries to go the "tough" route and their progress gets delayed by years as they run into the same wall over and over throughout their lifetime. Just be controlled and smart, you can whiz past everyone

Don't worry about sparring-- they don't put you in to spar until you're ready and if you never want to spar until you feel like it, they'll let you do that too. Get private lessons if you want to learn quickly (highly recommended), it will get you off to a very nice headstart, you can even do these before you go to regular group classes

Good luck

Ive often read on sherdog about getting 'private lessons' which surprises me a bit. I boxed at clubs in the UK and never needed lessons, it seems to be an American thing no?

I get its a way for a coach to make extra money but if I went to my old alcoholic coach with most of his teeth missing and asked him for private lessons he'd probably accuse me of being a homosexual lol.

Ive often read on sherdog about getting 'private lessons' which surprises me a bit. I boxed at clubs in the UK and never needed lessons, it seems to be an American thing no?

I get its a way for a coach to make extra money but if I went to my old alcoholic coach with most of his teeth missing and asked him for private lessons he'd probably accuse me of being a homosexual lol.

Yeah it's very steeped in boxing tradition here for at least the last 100 years. But oddly enough, the gyms don't really advertise or talk about it. It's just the way it is done. The regular classes are more like workouts with less detailed (or no) instruction.

Glad they include the private lessons in the UK, that's cool. Neither is wrong. It's just how it is

Made a follow up video moments ago - for the record I'm wearing jeans because this is me on my lunch breaks lol.

I tried to stay at a comfortbaco distance when throwing the straight. I think I see what you're saying though in that my straight is really more of a hook/overhand because it simply isn't straight.

Will incorporate more hip and step next go round.

Again appreciate the feedback all

Haha, dig the music man! I can tell you don't have a teacher though. Either that or you just got one really recently. If you don't, get one as soon as you can man. It's alot faster to learn things.

Keep those elbows down!

Yeah it's very steeped in boxing tradition here for at least the last 100 years. But oddly enough, the gyms don't really advertise or talk about it. It's just the way it is done. The regular classes are more like workouts with less detailed (or no) instruction.

Glad they include the private lessons in the UK, that's cool. Neither is wrong. It's just how it is

mate i took my kid to a former 'national coach' boxing gym here in Texas and the fat old fuck sat in his chair for 90mins. he had people who couldnt stand right let alone throw a jab take the session. not to mention he was rude as fuck. if he wasnt so old id have been tempted to take his head clean off his fuckin shoulders. Its so hard to find a good coach lol

mate i took my kid to a former 'national coach' boxing gym here in Texas and the fat old fuck sat in his chair for 90mins. he had people who couldnt stand right let alone throw a jab take the session. not to mention he was rude as fuck. if he wasnt so old id have been tempted to take his head clean off his fuckin shoulders. Its so hard to find a good coach lol

Sometimes you have to bribe the fighters themselves to show you how they do stuff. Boxers are either poor or want small amounts of money as bad as if they were poor, so a lot of times you can bribe them with things like paying for their lunches and stuff like that. I really like that element

It's always important to find a good instructor. It's the sad truth but you can't just throw money at any guy with certification. A technical (not brawler type) trainer who has done at least decently themselves in competition and has several guys who are able and doing well in comps should be what to look for. A coach with humor usually is the best at explaining things (can't get enough dark humor)

Back