HS teacher under fire for calling military persons "dumbsh*ts," "lowest of our low" intellectually

110330-F-DW547-007.JPG

Picture of the dudes in sandles that beat us in Vietnam.

14f_aug14_sa2battery_live.jpg

Vietnamese farmer trying to figure out his AK47.

t34-85_viet_1.jpg

Vietnamese farmer on water buffalo ready to engage US military.

why do Anti Americans always misrepresent the Vietnam war?

LOL. I live in San Diego.

My point stands. You are bitching about a teacher who is making broad, ignorant statements about all military personnel ... ... ... ... by making broad, ignorant statements about all teachers in California.

Makes a ton of sense.

Any Californian older than 30 would have zero problem acknowledging the joke that the K-12 public education system in this state has become. Just hit up Google with the keyword "California public school decline" and there wouldn't be any shortage of "broad, ignorant" statistics into this well-known fact.

I've got used to so many outrageous local headlines about California High Schools' teachers over the last 15 years, this scum is actually mild in comparison. THAT's why I wasn't surprised whatsoever to learn he's from LA. Tell me, were you honestly surprised?? o_O

Funny thing is, I bet you don't even disagree that for most parts the quality of our public schools and their educators are shit now compare to the previous two decades. The difference between you and I is that I have zero problem calling a spade a spade, even if it's from my own State.

That's why you're simply arguing just for the sake of arguing, instead of actually disputing anything at all.

Last edited:
The teacher was right though. Our countries intellectual elite certainly don't join the military lol
By liberal snob you mean educated and intelligent. haha
Sorry, 99% of them aren't intellects

It’s only fitting you were defensive of the term liberal snob. Apparently you have a crystal ball in your hand, too.

Yeah, instead they stay in school their whole lives, never leave, and talk about things rather than actually accomplishing them.

He’s an example of a teacher who lives up in an ivory tower. The world becomes different when you are always viewing things through rose colored glasses.

Well, he shouldn't phrase it like that. But he does have a point, not on the intellectually or dumb but that a lot of people join because they don't have much better options.

We Europeans like to criticise the Americans a lot for not having healthcare or free education and other benefits from a social democracy.
But by the Americans not having that they are able to get a lot of lower class people sign up for the military. Something lower classes in Europe see no need to.
The freedom of the west mainly gets carried by the US lower class.
If that would stop, Europe would be standing with their pants down because we would not be able to have anywhere near the same available supply of young men.
We would either have to increase wages or bring back the draft. Both are not an as good option as just having the US lower class carry that burden.

I was poor and a minority. I could have gone to community college on the tax payers dime in California. I decided that the Marines was better for me.

110330-F-DW547-007.JPG

Picture of the dudes in sandles that beat us in Vietnam.

14f_aug14_sa2battery_live.jpg

Vietnamese farmer trying to figure out his AK47.

t34-85_viet_1.jpg

Vietnamese farmer on water buffalo ready to engage US military.

why do Anti Americans always misrepresent the Vietnam war?

Bahahaha.. That's fucking funny ! Nicely done

I was poor and a minority. I could have gone to community college on the tax payers dime in California. I decided that the Marines was better for me.

Yeah, I didn't mean that as criticism to the people that join.
Like I don't think they are dumb or "low" its just that they are in a position that joining the military makes economic sense.
I think if you would not have that incentive in the US anymore. You still would have enough man to defend the US. But the sort of "world police" large force would not be possible.
I did military service in Germany no problem that was normal, and I liked it. But signing up for four years or so would have put me back four years in education or apprenticeship.

Yeah, I didn't mean that as criticism to the people that join.
Like I don't think they are dumb or "low" its just that they are in a position that joining the military makes economic sense.
I think if you would not have that incentive in the US anymore. You still would have enough man to defend the US. But the sort of "world police" large force would not be possible.
I did military service in Germany no problem that was normal, and I liked it. But signing up for four years or so would have put me back four years in education or apprenticeship.

I didn't take it that way.
Just saying people have options. I worked for a community college after the Marines in LA. Tons of people get money. California community colleges are actually pretty good.
Poor people contrary to popular belief can go to school relatively cheap. Well at least in California. They pay tuition and books for 2 year colleges.

This is a despicable example of classism. Nothing more.

Has everything in common with the comments I see here constantly from right-wingers about the supposed worthlessness and imbecility of people in various entry-level jobs that don't require college degrees or tech certifications.

I guess it's OK to call the black girl with the GED working at Walmart a "dumb shit". But once that same girl decides to go down to the recruiting office and enlist we have to consider her one of America's fine minds.

Sounds like that black girl at Walmart decided to step up.

That scene in Generation Kill:
"Man, when the Judge gave me the option of the Marines or jail... I shoulda just shut up and done my time"

https://www.ratemyteachers.com/gregory-salcido/484351-t

That is his Rate My Teacher score. However, I can see there have been a few additions since the story came out
It's a shame then that this is probably is going to tank his career. Still, it's his own fault.

He's not wrong about people who join the military, generally speaking. All you have to do to confirm that is to take a look at ASVAB scores. The problem is how he said it, and also that he said it to teenagers. Students will take things the wrong way all the time because they think in pretty broad strokes. Then take into consideration that he was being a real dick about it. It was clearly meant to be insulting, and insulting your students is asking for trouble.

Also, there's something like 1.5 million people in active service. There are going to be a lot of really bright folks in a group that large, so even if his comments fit the average armed forces member, there are going to be enough exceptions that it's really just a dumb thing to go on about. Also, I was kind of a soup sandwich when it came to field stuff. So regardless of my academic history, I wasn't going to go around making fun of grunts. Most people can look like idiots if you put them in the wrong setting.

Any Californian older than 30 would have zero problem acknowledging the joke that the K-12 public education system in this state has become. Just hit up Google with the keyword "California public school decline" and there wouldn't be any shortage of "broad, ignorant" statistics into this well-known fact.

I've got used to so many outrageous local headlines about California High Schools' teachers over the last 15 years, this scum is actually mild in comparison. THAT's why I wasn't surprised whatsoever to learn he's from LA. Tell me, were you honestly surprised?? o_O

Funny thing is, I bet you don't even disagree that for most parts the quality of our public schools and their educators are shit now compare to the previous two decades. The difference between you and I is that I have zero problem calling a spade a spade, even if it's from my own State.

That's why you're simply arguing just for the sake of arguing, instead of actually disputing anything at all.

Well, I'm older than 30, so I guess that's strike 2 with your assumptions.

Second, I did as you suggested, and searched Google for "California Public School decline" and the only thing that came up was a Salon.com article, which is hardly a justification for your hasty generalization fallacy.

Lastly, I'm not arguing just for the sake of arguing, I'm disputing your outrage at stereotyping, in which you employed a stereotype yourself. Using your logic, does a google search for "US military decline" somehow justify the teacher's comments?

Back