Hypothetically, What Would it Take for McGregor or Nurmagomedov to Become the LW GOAT?

With a win over Khabib, Conor already asserts himself as the LW GOAT over Frankie. LW has never had a consistently top guys that stand out. To me Frankie and Eddie have been the closest due to their longevity and consistency. However, I think the new crop of LWs are better or as good as any of them.

What a win over Khabib does is put him in the GOAT discussion P4P. Further wins against guys like Tony and Kevin or a WW belt would cement him as the undisputed GOAT.

How about he actually defends a belt.

Do you rank GOAT by skill -- who would win on their best night -- or accomplishments? If skill then they're both already the 2 GOATs. No one in LW history would beat either at LW. If by accomplishments, both would only need to defend the belt 3-4 times to get up there. LW hasn't had a really accomplishment defining fighter like 125 has DJ, 145 has Aldo, 170 has GSP, 185 has Anderson, 205 has Jones, HW has Fedor. 135 is also up for grabs like that.

With a win over Khabib, Conor already asserts himself as the LW GOAT over Frankie. LW has never had a consistently top guys that stand out. To me Frankie and Eddie have been the closest due to their longevity and consistency. However, I think the new crop of LWs are better or as good as any of them.

What a win over Khabib does is put him in the GOAT discussion P4P. Further wins against guys like Tony and Kevin or a WW belt would cement him as the undisputed GOAT.

Frankie was never LW GOAT. BJ is.

Conor can never be the LW GOAT, he has very little LW fights, and not enough time left in the game.

Khabib on the other hand has a great shot cause he is undefeated at LW which has not been done yet.

If he can beat Conor, Ferguson and Lee, plus add a catchweight superfight with GSP in there... he'll be the LW GOAT for sure. But that's not an easy road.

The only thing bugging me about Khabib is that he'll never fight his nemesis Ferguson at full potential. That Ferguson is gone.

What would also help Khabib's case is a win vs the new LW prospect, let's call him fighter X. That's the new dude that will appear in probably 2-3 years from now. The young lion.

For Conor, KO kabob, win diaz trilogy to make first title defense, KO GSP when he starves himself down to go after that belt. Then retire.

For kabob, study "decision" Dan Henderson's development of the "H-bomb." And beat Conor... which is a tall task for such a short man.

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

MMA is first and foremost business entertainment. Therefore the MMA fighter who generates most business and entertainment is the GOAT. This is according to none other than GSP himself

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/g...ners-first-people-need-to-understand.3809497/

Conor McGregor is the highest grossing UFC star by a long shot. He's the business GOAT, and since MMA is a business above all, Conor is the MMA GOAT.
To WWF fans that matters. Real goat talk is in relation to skill sets and actual fight results. With only 1 fight at LW in the UFC hes got a ways to go. I dont think he cares enough to put in that much work to be honest

There is no such thing as Goat..except michael jordan. Lebron on those designer roids.

BJ is the GOAT at LW and he has what? Three title defenses and a 50-45 loss to Frankie in the rematch. If Khabib beats Conor and Fergie then there is no way he is not the GOAT at LW. Just better competition and more wins at LW.

Conor isn't after a single GOAT title in any particular division. If he was then he would have continued to starve himself and make the 145 pound cut.

I think Khabib has more of a chance at being considered GOAT at LW simply because he has more than just one fight at LW in the UFC. If Khabib beat Conor, Tony, Eddie and Dustin I would put him way up there if not at the top of the discussion.

Although not at the top of the division, I always thought Conor vs. Edson and Conor vs. Pettis would be fun fights to watch.
And hes an actual killer..undefeated...and not some promotional prostitute for $$

To WWF fans that matters. Real goat talk is in relation to skill sets and actual fight results. With only 1 fight at LW in the UFC hes got a ways to go. I dont think he cares enough to put in that much work to be honest

GSP is considered by many to be a real GOAT.

GSP says he's an entertainer first and foremost, and MMA is a business.

GSP > you

GSP is considered by many to be a real GOAT.

GSP says he's an entertainer first and foremost, and MMA is a business.

GSP > you
Goat is talked about in regards to actual fighting. The sport itself. Not ones acting or promoting skills. They are entertainers for sure. And some guys are better at that then others. But goat talk. Is based off skills

Khabib cleaning out the division with wins over TFerg, Lee, and Poirier

Conor would have to defend against at least 5 of the top 10 since he didnt have to earn his spot (will never happen)

Goat is talked about in regards to actual fighting. The sport itself. Not ones acting or promoting skills. They are entertainers for sure. And some guys are better at that then others. But goat talk. Is based off skills

GSP just said MMA is first and foremost about business and entertainment, and that he himself is first and foremost an entertainer.

GOAT in MMA is therefore first and foremost about someone who does the most business and is most entertaining.

I'd take GSP's words over some rando Sherbros when it comes to MMA any day of the week.

Khabib is tarnished a bit by how he got the belt.

Realistically he’d have to beat Conor, Ferguson, and Max ( assuming he moves up ) before ppl would put him in GOAT talks.

If he beats Conor ( unless by KO ) ppl will chalk it up to styles make fights....if he beats Tony ppl will notice...if he beats those 2 and Max he’d certainly be up there.

I think McGregor would have a great chance of becoming the LW goat with wins over:

Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Dustin Poirier (again?), Eddie Alvarez (already beaten him) and Gaethje/Vick winner?

Nurmagomedov would be the LW goat if he were to beat:
Conor McGregor, Rafael Dos Anjos (already beaten him), Edson Barboza (Already beaten him), Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and Darrell Horcher (already beaten). Poirier would make a great addition to his record too, and Alvarez, depending on where he signs now that his contract is finished.

Thoughts?

What would Khabib and Conor have to do to become the LW goat?

and yes, I joked when I wrote Darrell Horcher...
Training. Unless they're GOAT already, in which case, nothing.

That's if we're talking reality instead of optics.

Can we get some LW title defenses, gold on the line, the stakes are higher against the top guy availible every time?

GSP
Silva
MM ( for the little guys)

Have good records, and crazy title defense runs

If khabib gets through conor, then goes on to beat tony, then maybe whoever's a contender at that time he'll be goat status. I don't see who else he would need to beat. Who exactly are we considering current lw goat? Frankie?

8 title fight defense streak. With a rematch win, and Tony on there.

Back