Hypothetically, What Would it Take for McGregor or Nurmagomedov to Become the LW GOAT?

Do you rank GOAT by skill -- who would win on their best night -- or accomplishments? If skill then they're both already the 2 GOATs. No one in LW history would beat either at LW. If by accomplishments, both would only need to defend the belt 3-4 times to get up there. LW hasn't had a really accomplishment defining fighter like 125 has DJ, 145 has Aldo, 170 has GSP, 185 has Anderson, 205 has Jones, HW has Fedor. 135 is also up for grabs like that.

Just stop.

i_cfc.jpg

Breaking the LW title defense record (which means defending it successfully at least four times) would be a strong start. Imagine Conor beating Khabib, Ferguson, Diaz, Lee, etc., or Khabib beating Conor, Tony, Lee, etc.

GSP just said MMA is first and foremost about business and entertainment, and that he himself is first and foremost an entertainer.

GOAT in MMA is therefore first and foremost about someone who does the most business and is most entertaining.

I'd take GSP's words over some rando Sherbros when it comes to MMA any day of the week.
I get it you troll. Good stuff buddy.

I think McGregor would have a great chance of becoming the LW goat with wins over:

Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Dustin Poirier (again?), Eddie Alvarez (already beaten him) and Gaethje/Vick winner?

Nurmagomedov would be the LW goat if he were to beat:
Conor McGregor, Rafael Dos Anjos (already beaten him), Edson Barboza (Already beaten him), Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and Darrell Horcher (already beaten). Poirier would make a great addition to his record too, and Alvarez, depending on where he signs now that his contract is finished.

Thoughts?

What would Khabib and Conor have to do to become the LW goat?

and yes, I joked when I wrote Darrell Horcher...

Both need to have dominate title defenses surpassing bj penns 5 IIRC ..all agaisnt top ranked challengers...then new goat crowned

Edit : 3 Wins

"I can't argue against his points, so I'm just going to call him a troll"

Okay there buddy
Go watch WWF man. In real fighting your ranked at being the best based of your techniques. Entertaining is what pays them. Moneys important to everyone. But it doesn't dictate who the goat mma fighter is no matter how much you attempt to twist logic.

They each need to fly to Hilo, drive to BJ's house, knock politely, ask BJ nicely if he would like to have some easy work this afternoon, suit up, get their ass kicked, say goodbye, fly back home, and just accept the best they can do is live in BJ's shadow as the second greatest LW ever.

I think McGregor would have a great chance of becoming the LW goat with wins over:

Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Dustin Poirier (again?), Eddie Alvarez (already beaten him) and Gaethje/Vick winner?

Nurmagomedov would be the LW goat if he were to beat:
Conor McGregor, Rafael Dos Anjos (already beaten him), Edson Barboza (Already beaten him), Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and Darrell Horcher (already beaten). Poirier would make a great addition to his record too, and Alvarez, depending on where he signs now that his contract is finished.

Thoughts?

What would Khabib and Conor have to do to become the LW goat?

and yes, I joked when I wrote Darrell Horcher...
It's easy. Obtain then defend the title more than DJ has. The end.

In real fighting your ranked at being the best based of your techniques.

Oh really?

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Well look at that, Conor is ranked no.2 P4P, that must mean he's the second best in terms of techniques in the UFC, right?

In fact I think they're wrong, I have Conor ranked at no.1, but hey, individual opinions can vary, no.2 is close enough
#GOAT

{<Mcgoat}

Oh really?

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Well look at that, Conor is ranked no.2 P4P, that must mean he's the second best in terms of techniques in the UFC, right?

In fact I think they're wrong, I have Conor ranked at no.1, but hey, individual opinions can vary, no.2 is close enough
#GOAT

{<Mcgoat}
Goat is greatest of all time
Not even the worst of his nutt huggers try to make that claim
Never go full retard man

It's easy. Obtain then defend the title more than DJ has. The end.

Title defenses doesn't mean jack shit. If you want to sit here and have a debate about how MM might be technically superior to Conor, go right ahead. Don't sit there and pretend he's had a tougher road to victory though when he hasn't.

Goat is greatest of all time
Not even the worst of his nutt huggers try to make that claim
Never go full retard man

It's really a very simple concept:
  • Tiger Woods is the golf GOAT because he made more money than anyone else playing golf.
  • Lance Armstrong is the cycling GOAT because he made more money than anyone else cycling.
  • Phelps is the swimming GOAT because he made more money than anyone else swimming.
  • Bolt is the sprinting GOAT because he made more money than anyone else sprinting.
  • Serena Williams is the female tennis GOAT because she made more money than any female playing tennis
  • Conor is the UFC GOAT because he made more money than anyone else in the UFC fighting
  • Floyd is the combat sport GOAT because he made more money than any fighter fighting

Khabib = some more wins over top lightweights

Conor = a hell of a lot more wins

It's really a very simple concept:
  • Tiger Woods is the golf GOAT because he made more money than anyone else playing golf.
  • Lance Armstrong is the cycling GOAT because he made more money than anyone else cycling.
  • Phelps is the swimming GOAT because he made more money than anyone else swimming.
  • Bolt is the sprinting GOAT because he made more money than anyone else sprinting.
  • Serena Williams is the female tennis GOAT because she made more money than any female playing tennis
  • Conor is the UFC GOAT because he made more money than anyone else in the UFC fighting
  • Floyd is the combat sport GOAT because he made more money than any fighter fighting
No. Conor is not the greatest mma fighter of all time. You are wrong. Embarrassingly wrong

No. Conor is not the greatest mma fighter of all time. You are wrong. Embarrassingly wrong

"You're wrong" is not an argument. Look through my list of GOATs with GOAT pay and tell me where I made an erroneous leap in logic.

MMA is a business, first and foremost, according to GSP himself, the one many of you purists consider GOAT.

Therefore GOAT fighter in MMA, based on GSP's logic, is first and foremost a fighter who achieves most financial success.

This is not unique to MMA either, like all the other examples I listed, this is literally the case across all pro sports. The only exceptions are if you go back in time long enough where inflation must be taken into account, but MMA is such a young sport that's not an issue.

If either one can rack up 5 consecutive defenses against legitimate contenders, there is a strong argument to be made in their favor.

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

MMA is first and foremost business entertainment. Therefore the MMA fighter who generates most business and entertainment is the GOAT. This is according to none other than GSP himself

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/g...ners-first-people-need-to-understand.3809497/

Conor McGregor is the highest grossing UFC star by a long shot. He's the business GOAT, and since MMA is a business above all, Conor is the MMA GOAT.
Noooo Bolanos. That's like if they brought in LeBron James for a 1 contract fight in the HW division and generating money for the UFC, wouldn't make him the HW GOAT.

Conor is GOAT of money making, but not even close to GOAT of FIGHTING.

Defending the belt multiple times and defeating all contenders make one the GOAT of the division.

I know people fawn over BJ Penn as LW GOAT but I'm not sure why. He defended against Sherk, Florian, and Sanchez. Not a great title run if we're being honest
Benson Henderson had just as many defenses against better competition: Edgar, Diaz, Melendez.

But I know people want to hate on Benson because of his close decisions, so there's no clear cut LW GOAT...

That's why McGregor is already LW GOAT for moving up and challenging larger men in title fights, don't forget he's fought at 145 most of his life

Back