I absolutely suck at overhead pressing

I watched couple more of that dudes vids.

I may need to re-evaluate how I've been gripping the bar for flat bench pressing.

You know how there's two width markers on the bar?
I normally place the knife edge of my hand in line with the OUTER marker.

He seemed to go with the inner marker....?

Here's an idea: how about you humble yourself and ask the "fucking dweeb" next to you what he's doing in regard to his OHP? Perhaps you can learn something new and valuable.

By the way, if you're going to the gym mainly for the purpose of checking out other girls' asses, then I don't think you have the right mentality for training in the first place.

I don't go for that express purpose but - by example;

There's this chick comes in with her boyfriend/husband - and makes a point of immediately getting in my space, doing deadlifts, ass first in front of me - shit like that.

I imagine it's unquestionably to make her man jealous - cause, initially I was checking out her ass, sure.
But now I'm like, "just leave me alone dammit".

Her husband goes out of his was to say hello to me and chat a little - make sure I'm not actually about to creep on his woman - which I understand; even respect - cause I'd do the same in his position.

By further example - there's this other chick - younger - comes with her dipshit boyfriend.
He's like, an undesirable - but she's of the age where she must think that's cool (yes - that young; like, 18 maybe).

She pulls much the same stunt - but her dipshit boyfriend actually tries to act tough with me, throws me dirty looks etc.

Point being - at one point I thought it was boss, or maybe even funny, to flirt with other dudes girlfriends.
Now - I wish I was never so foolish to think that cause - it draws unwanted attention; and my time would be better served picking up single women, not chicks that I might bag, but whom are letting me, just as a means to fuck with their boyfriends head.

Which is a pretty lame reason to be hitting some chick.

Alrighty.

I fixed my grip width - low and behold - my reps didn't increase, but the most I ever pressed for a single rep was 62.5 kgs.

I hit 67.5 kgs with the grip fix - without too much difficulty.

This dude seems to explain with good clarity - not to grip the bar too wide, or too narrow.

I assume I'm basically starting over with pressing now, and building muscle from square one.

He did the push press wrong though. You don't push with a squat movement, but rather with a sort-of front squat movement. Might sound like nitpicking, but it's actually a pretty big deal.

Last edited:
You're way overthinking this by a mile.
Regards to where to grip the bar grip it where you feel the strongest.

That skinny dweeb probably has mechanical advantages to you in that lift all you can do is focus on improving, like any other compound it will go up in weight

I don't go for that express purpose but - by example;

There's this chick comes in with her boyfriend/husband - and makes a point of immediately getting in my space, doing deadlifts, ass first in front of me - shit like that.

I imagine it's unquestionably to make her man jealous - cause, initially I was checking out her ass, sure.
But now I'm like, "just leave me alone dammit".

Her husband goes out of his was to say hello to me and chat a little - make sure I'm not actually about to creep on his woman - which I understand; even respect - cause I'd do the same in his position.

By further example - there's this other chick - younger - comes with her dipshit boyfriend.
He's like, an undesirable - but she's of the age where she must think that's cool (yes - that young; like, 18 maybe).

She pulls much the same stunt - but her dipshit boyfriend actually tries to act tough with me, throws me dirty looks etc.

Point being - at one point I thought it was boss, or maybe even funny, to flirt with other dudes girlfriends.
Now - I wish I was never so foolish to think that cause - it draws unwanted attention; and my time would be better served picking up single women, not chicks that I might bag, but whom are letting me, just as a means to fuck with their boyfriends head.

Which is a pretty lame reason to be hitting some chick.

Whoa there, Casanova. I'd better make sure my girlfriend steers clear of you at the gym.

You're way overthinking this by a mile.
Regards to where to grip the bar grip it where you feel the strongest.

That skinny dweeb probably has mechanical advantages to you in that lift all you can do is focus on improving, like any other compound it will go up in weight

Agree, or he's on steroids.

Whoa there, Casanova. I'd better make sure my girlfriend steers clear of you at the gym.

I get your point.

But the practical reality is - if such a situation were to ever transpire, you may in actual fact be prudent, to ensure exactly that.

Then there's the other type of gal - she's committed to her man - but does not forego at least considering an upgrade, should she encounter what/whom she deems a "suitor".

That is to say - she's not going to go out of her way to fuck with her mans head and make him jealous and shit - but she may in fact ditch him entirely, if she feels there is another desirable and stable branch she can clutch, whilst releasing the former.

What I'm saying is - I've encounter this type of biznatch also.

Agree, or he's on steroids.

I don't agree with either.

Refined technique advances ability to move more weight, and develop better musculature.

This, "fuck refinement, just let me fucking lift bro" - in my experience, is a good weigh to not make solid advancements, not develop better gains and musculature, and last - and perhaps most importantly - not fuck the cream of biznatches within your vicinity.

There are some young girls at he gym I frequent who do all sorts of shit to get my attention. Like walk on their hands in front of me in the squat rack with a loose t shirt on. No really. That exact thing happened. Emptyish gym with 2 large areas for that. I’m in the rack. They walked over to squat next to me and I kind of ignored them so hey upped their game. Other girl pulled her shirt up it was a just under her boobs. Annoyed at my age honestly. If you want me to fuck you just pull it out. I’m down. I’ll do it here in front of everyone. If not fuck off

Refined technique advances ability to move more weight, and develop better musculature.

This, "fuck refinement, just let me fucking lift bro" - in my experience, is a good weigh to not make solid advancements, not develop better gains and musculature, and last - and perhaps most importantly - not fuck the cream of biznatches within your vicinity.
It's called refining your own technique everybody has different leverages and mechanical advantages and disadvantages.
There is no one perfect place to grip the bar for anything it's all relative to that person.
You refine your technique through trial and error, or else all the best lifters would be gripping the bar at the same place.

My OHP is absolutely shit tier also.

I get your point.

But the practical reality is - if such a situation were to ever transpire, you may in actual fact be prudent, to ensure exactly that.

Then there's the other type of gal - she's committed to her man - but does not forego at least considering an upgrade, should she encounter what/whom she deems a "suitor".

That is to say - she's not going to go out of her way to fuck with her mans head and make him jealous and shit - but she may in fact ditch him entirely, if she feels there is another desirable and stable branch she can clutch, whilst releasing the former.

What I'm saying is - I've encounter this type of biznatch also.

Ahh, the joys of lifting in a globo gym. I do all my main lifts at a 24/7 private access gym and do my accessories and take a shower at a 24 Hour Fitness.

I can imagine how unnerving it can be when a unfaithful attention whore tries to grab my attention with that ratchet shit, but when I'm at the gym, I have tunnel vision and I tend to avoid social interactions with other people, let alone glance at them. I train for the gains, not for the girls.

There are some young girls at he gym I frequent who do all sorts of shit to get my attention. Like walk on their hands in front of me in the squat rack with a loose t shirt on. No really. That exact thing happened. Emptyish gym with 2 large areas for that. I’m in the rack. They walked over to squat next to me and I kind of ignored them so hey upped their game. Other girl pulled her shirt up it was a just under her boobs. Annoyed at my age honestly. If you want me to fuck you just pull it out. I’m down. I’ll do it here in front of everyone. If not fuck off

Who gives a fuck about your age? Just go up to them and tell them something along the lines of, "Hey, I really enjoyed your ritualized mating dance there, but could you do that somewhere else? You're distracting me. Oh, and give me your number if you wanna hang out someday."

That's all there is to it.

Is it about gains or strength? You can get good gains with lower weights by pumping too. In some grip it might be easier in some more difficult depends on what you are used to, as many people I have met as many opinions I heard. Brosience. So what should it be wide grip or narrow? I think slightly muscular group difference in there too. If you trying to impress others in your gym go with easiest one and tell everybody how fucking technical you are.

Ahh, the joys of lifting in a globo gym. I do all my main lifts at a 24/7 private access gym and do my accessories and take a shower at a 24 Hour Fitness.

I can imagine how unnerving it can be when a unfaithful attention whore tries to grab my attention with that ratchet shit, but when I'm at the gym, I have tunnel vision and I tend to avoid social interactions with other people, let alone glance at them. I train for the gains, not for the girls.

Who gives a fuck about your age? Just go up to them and tell them something along the lines of, "Hey, I really enjoyed your ritualized mating dance there, but could you do that somewhere else? You're distracting me. Oh, and give me your number if you wanna hang out someday."

That's all there is to it.
Nah. Too young. The one girl is eighteen. I’m 38. I’ll bang but no chasing

Alrighty.
I fixed my grip width - low and behold - my reps didn't increase, but the most I ever pressed for a single rep was 62.5 kgs.
I hit 67.5 kgs with the grip fix - without too much difficulty.
This dude seems to explain with good clarity - not to grip the bar too wide, or too narrow.
I assume I'm basically starting over with pressing now, and building muscle from square one.

OHP is great exercise for shoulders, triceps. Core control is important as the video said. Too many people including myself started with seated military/behind neck press and haven't developed enough 'standing up' skills like keeping the legs and core tight and proper scap control for OHP.

You're probably wasting alot of power by not having your legs and trunk stiff enough when you press. Flex calves, thighs, glutes, core when you press up. And having enough shoulder mobility so your arms when pressing overhead should be a straight line thru your shoulders, hips, legs, heels.

Is it about gains or strength? You can get good gains with lower weights by pumping too. In some grip it might be easier in some more difficult depends on what you are used to, as many people I have met as many opinions I heard. Brosience. So what should it be wide grip or narrow? I think slightly muscular group difference in there too. If you trying to impress others in your gym go with easiest one and tell everybody how fucking technical you are.

Not with my body type.

I gotta lift heavy as possible to see gains.
Pumping does literally shit for me, except make me lean.

And lean doesn't mean shit in the discotheque with a shirt on.

The narrower grip is fantastic - and fabulous - for me.

I find though - that I push through the balls of my feet - no heels.

Does that compromise it being a strict press?

I don't bend my knee at all.

I also tried the narrower grip on the bench like I mentioned - and it felt awesome.
Definitely using that in future.

I found for the bench though that - if I went too narrow - it compromised the depth a little.

It's just maybe an inch or two narrower on either side but - makes huge difference.

Also - I came in the gym this morning.
Just one other chick there.

She's fucking eyeballing me, gives it, "heeeyyy" - all pathetic and shit (she has unbelievable ass BTW - and not a butter face).

I start throwing on my wraps like a boss.
Next thing she's beside me getting plates.
She's bending down - like she's going for the blowjob - and I'm thinking, "lol - pathetic".

Funny, but that spineless shit kind of turns me off.

Then she asks me to help her lift the hex bar - which I do.

So I'm checking her out doing some glute bridges - and I ask her some random question, just to see what her mood is; is she game here.
I get a smile a brief answer - which I interpret as - not game.

So I'm like, "cool - no probs".

Get back to lifting like a boss.

Next thing she's over beside me asking some irrelevant question about squat depth and could I check her form and shit - which I do.

Then she finishes her squats and bounces - without giving any sign that she's down to fuck - despite bending over for the blowjob only a few short minutes earlier.

And I'm like, "bitch you trifling!!"

Last edited:
I found for the bench though that - if I went too narrow - it compromised the depth a little.

It's just maybe an inch or two narrower on either side but - makes huge difference.

Also - I came in the gym this morning.
Just one other chick there.

She's fucking eyeballing me, gives it, "heeeyyy" - all pathetic and shit (she has unbelievable ass BTW - and not a butter face).

I start throwing on my wraps like a boss.
Next thing she's beside me getting plates.
She's bending down - like she's going for the blowjob - and I'm thinking, "lol - pathetic".

Funny, but that spineless shit kind of turns me off.

Then she asks me to help her lift the hex bar - which I do.

So I'm checking her out doing some glute bridges - and I ask her some random question, just to see what her mood is; is she game here.
I get a smile a brief answer - which I interpret as - not game.

So I'm like, "cool - no probs".

Get back to lifting like a boss.

Next thing she's over beside me asking some irrelevant question about squat depth and could I check her form and shit - which I do.

Then she finishes her squats and bounces - without giving any sign that she's down to fuck - despite bending over for the blowjob only a few short minutes earlier.

And I'm like, "bitch you trifling!!"

Whoa dude! Like, she was like, totally down to fuck, bro. High five, broham.

Shit. I wish I were as cool as you, dudemeister.

Back