I always loved Irish music A LOT -- .... but just found out I'm Scottish and can't find good music

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
Someone help

Does anyone have any examples of Scottish music being better than Irish music?????

Lots of great Scottish music out there. Old Blind Dogs is one of my favourites.

There are skilled, passionate, soulful musicians from all cultures. As long as you have that as a foundation, you can't say one kind of music is better than another. It's purely subjective.

Last edited:
I assume you mean traditional/folk music.

Scotland and Ireland both shared a Gaelic culture because parts of Scotland were colonised by the Irish (Scoti being the latin name for the Irish) in the early medieval period, and links between the two countries remained strong in the proceeding centuries, so the traditional music of the highlands/east coast is similar to traditional Irish music for that reason. But Scotland was always seen as the poor relations in cultural terms.

However that's specifically Gaelic culture (poets/filid/bards/harpists), the whole of the Britain/Ireland has a shared folk music culture in terms of ballads and popular songs. You wouldn't say one was better than the other, since many of the songs are the same or similar...just look at how many popular folk songs were collected along the border areas between Scotland and England. Lots of great music from Scotland too and I would guess that the Gaelic revival/Celtic twilight of the late 19th/early20th century has a lot to do with Ireland's much stronger folk/trad scene today, Scotland didn't really undergo a folk revival like that, or not to the same extent anyway.

ps. what do you mean you just found out you are Scottish, if you are from Canada/America you're sure as fuck not Scottish lmao

Last edited:
This is why you always sound drunk in your posts @Clippy
RcnAkxt.jpg

Go home Clip....your drunk

Back