I am training myself for the 2019 Golden Gloves

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
Chicago Golden gloves to be specific. So here's the run down. I have been training off and on Different styles since I was probably 17-18. Technically a yellow belt in TKD when I was like 12. But didn't seriously start training until about 17. Im 24 now. Started at an MMA Gym here in Chicago called victory MMA. Learned the basics but gave it up for a couple of years to work.

Been moving around gyms for the past few years learning from different coaches. But some bad luck always seems to happen. Injured my back and knees and took like 2 years off.

Come back and Now have decided to try out for the Senior Novice division in the Chicago Golden gloves in March 2019. I have made the bold decision to train myself for this. I know sounds crazy. But here's the deal. I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape.

I do train at a boxing gym called Windy City boxing and have been here for about a month and 10 days now. Basically my routine is. Mon, wed, fri- Boxing specific training. Cardio. Heavy bags rounds. Shadown boxing. Ring circles. Double end bag. Sparring(Although haven't started sparring again yet). Tues,Thurs- Conditioning/Lifting. Saturday and Sunday off.

Current stats. 6 feet tall. 181.7 last weigh in. Was 190 a month and a half ago. Trying to be 165 come March for the event. Eating on a caloric Deficit until then. I'm a long and lanky guy who loves using the jab. I have a more defensive boxing style like Floyd, but fight hands down/Low like RJJ.

Just wanted to let you guys know my journey and if you have any advice let me know. Thanks.

Chicago Golden gloves to be specific. So here's the run down. I have been training off and on Different styles since I was probably 17-18. Technically a yellow belt in TKD when I was like 12. But didn't seriously start training until about 17. Im 24 now. Started at an MMA Gym here in Chicago called victory MMA. Learned the basics but gave it up for a couple of years to work.

Been moving around gyms for the past few years learning from different coaches. But some bad luck always seems to happen. Injured my back and knees and took like 2 years off.

Come back and Now have decided to try out for the Senior Novice division in the Chicago Golden gloves in March 2019. I have made the bold decision to train myself for this. I know sounds crazy. But here's the deal. I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape.

I do train at a boxing gym called Windy City boxing and have been here for about a month and 10 days now. Basically my routine is. Mon, wed, fri- Boxing specific training. Cardio. Heavy bags rounds. Shadown boxing. Ring circles. Double end bag. Sparring(Although haven't started sparring again yet). Tues,Thurs- Conditioning/Lifting. Saturday and Sunday off.

Current stats. 6 feet tall. 181.7 last weigh in. Was 190 a month and a half ago. Trying to be 165 come March for the event. Eating on a caloric Deficit until then. I'm a long and lanky guy who loves using the jab. I have a more defensive boxing style like Floyd, but fight hands down/Low like RJJ.

Just wanted to let you guys know my journey and if you have any advice let me know. Thanks.

I'd advise not to do it. I know you're not likely to heed the warning but I'll leave you something to consider. The guy in this video in the grey outfit won the Chicago Golden Gloves as novice, he only had 3 flights when he won it. He recently had his Pro debut, but he still only had about 6 amateur fights. Adult notice divisions are no joke:

Keep in mind my fighter in the green is Elite Open division and has fought in 2 National Qualifiers and has over 20 amateur bouts.

This is one of my guys in the adult novice division of the Roy Jones Jr. Invitational last year:

This is one of my other guys in the Adult novice division of the Gene Lewis invitational last year, against the Arizona Golden Gloves Champion:

I'd advise not to do it. I know you're not likely to heed the warning but I'll leave you something to consider. The guy in this video in the grey outfit won the Chicago Golden Gloves as novice, he only had 3 flights when he won it. He recently had his Pro debut, but he still only had about 6 amateur fights. Adult notice divisions are no joke:

Keep in mind my fighter in the green is Elite Open division and has fought in 2 National Qualifiers and has over 20 amateur bouts.

This is one of my guys in the adult novice division of the Roy Jones Jr. Invitational last year:

This is one of my other guys in the Adult novice division of the Gene Lewis invitational last year, against the Arizona Golden Gloves Champion:

Are you basically saying, there are competitors in novice division that have been gym rats for years, and years, and have as much experience as high level ammys, and pros in terms of quality sparring partners? And they can actually become just as good as some high level ammys, and pros just by sparring in gyms?

Actually I should ask that in your youtube series thread. Are most "boxers" guys that just go around to different gyms and spar for fun? And do people do that, without being "headhunters"?

Are you basically saying, there are competitors in novice division that have been gym rats for years, and years, and have as much experience as high level ammys, and pros in terms of quality sparring partners? And they can actually become just as good as some high level ammys, and pros just by sparring in gyms?

Actually I should ask that in your youtube series thread. Are most "boxers" guys that just go around to different gyms and spar for fun? And do people do that, without being "headhunters"?

Bingo

Also, are most sparring partners for Pros or ammy's actually just gym rats? Or at least, do most pros only bring in other pros, or high level ammys?

actually I really ought to ask this in your youtube series thread, so you can go over in your vids. Well here is more. Are pros licensed? How do you get license? How may licensed boxers actually do fight pro, or just have just in case wink wink.

I can cover that stuff. But basically adult novice is a lot like the Wasteland of Mad Max movies. Most of the competitors there are clowns who want validation of some weird form, then you have the few who seriously want to progress, and then hidden in there are guys who are very dangerous. The kinds of guys who have years of experience but started competing late.

I can cover that stuff. But basically adult novice is a lot like the Wasteland of Mad Max movies. Most of the competitors there are clowns who want validation of some weird form, then you have the few who seriously want to progress, and then hidden in there are guys who are very dangerous. The kinds of guys who have years of experience but started competing late.
That would actually be a really interesting video taking about that and what it takes to become a pro and as a low level pro or as most on the Dog call a tomato can. In my experience none of the guys I have trained with were close to being world beaters in fact most of the guys had 50-50 to negative fight records in the pros but were some of the best martial artists I have ever met.
Also so me of the smoke screen of fights. Like one of the guys I know is a good boxer, or maybe good a boxing but a bad boxer. His biggest fight he was going through some drama with his wife and he never showed up for training and came into the ring pretty much cold and folded midway through the fight.
Most guys on here were calling him a fat can, know that dude can fight he is just bad at his own business.

That would actually be a really interesting video taking about that and what it takes to become a pro and as a low level pro or as most on the Dog call a tomato can. In my experience none of the guys I have trained with were close to being world beaters in fact most of the guys had 50-50 to negative fight records in the pros but were some of the best martial artists I have ever met.
Also so me of the smoke screen of fights. Like one of the guys I know is a good boxer, or maybe good a boxing but a bad boxer. His biggest fight he was going through some drama with his wife and he never showed up for training and came into the ring pretty much cold and folded midway through the fight.
Most guys on here were calling him a fat can, know that dude can fight he is just bad at his own business.

There's a lot of that sort of thing.

Fight as many times as you can between now and then. Don’t go in there and bust your cherry in the citywide tournament against an open class fighter.

@Sinister , question for you since you are an experience coach. Are you able to look at someone and kind of determine how much boxing experience or experience in fighting a person may have?

@Sinister , question for you since you are an experience coach. Are you able to look at someone and kind of determine how much boxing experience or experience in fighting a person may have?

Sometimes. I can tell if they're well-seasoned or had good education, but not always length of time.

Go for it bro. If you can get some exhibitions between now and then you'll be good.

Get your physical and book out the way, and if you have time do some shows or even get some bouts. Stay within novice regulations, I don't know how busy you are.

My friend won Regionals two years running, and just went Nationals in TN this past year.

One year he fought a guy as open class, when he had less than 20 fights. The other guy had something like 70+. He beat the guy for the Regional Title. He works his ass off however.

You can do it, I'd drop to 154 if you could. If not, then 165 is good for your height.

Fight as many times as you can between now and then. Don’t go in there and bust your cherry in the citywide tournament against an open class fighter.

He'd fight a sandbagger who should be open class. They have those lol

Then again, his division may not be stacked this year. He should be expecting to fight all weekend however. Hopefully he only fights twice. Each year is different.

Go for it bro. If you can get some exhibitions between now and then you'll be good.

Get your physical and book out the way, and if you have time do some shows or even get some bouts. Stay within novice regulations, I don't know how busy you are.

My friend won Regionals two years running, and just went Nationals in TN this past year.

One year he fought a guy as open class, when he had less than 20 fights. The other guy had something like 70+. He beat the guy for the Regional Title. He works his ass off however.

You can do it, I'd drop to 154 if you could. If not, then 165 is good for your height.

Did your friend have actual boxing training?

P.S. - There's no 154. It's 152

He'd fight a sandbagger who should be open class. They have those lol

Then again, his division may not be stacked this year. He should be expecting to fight all weekend however. Hopefully he only fights twice. Each year is different.
GG is all open fighters. He should fight open to understand what he’s getting into

GG is all open fighters. He should fight open to understand what he’s getting into

Some States still have a Novice division in their Golden Gloves. Whether or not they do is up to the State. Nevada doesn't, but someone was telling me just a couple of days ago about another State that does (not Illinois) but I forget which one it was.

If you're really motivated to fight then I'd recommend seriously finding yourself a quality coach/trainer....or pester one enough to convince him to spend his time with you.

You are young enough to have a good few fights etc, but you need to make every training session count to catch up with guys whove been at it for 15 years longer than you who HAVE had quality coaching. The only way to catch up is structured training, quality coaching and quality sparring.

Some States still have a Novice division in their Golden Gloves. Whether or not they do is up to the State. Nevada doesn't, but someone was telling me just a couple of days ago about another State that does (not Illinois) but I forget which one it was.
New England has a novice division for the Golden Gloves. I’m surprised more states don’t have novice GG. It packs the tournament and provides some of the best fights.

Did your friend have actual boxing training?

P.S. - There's no 154. It's 152

I thought it was either 154 or 152. I get numbers mixed up sometimes, especially with the pros being different. Light middleweight (154).

In any case, no, he didn't. He was a very determined street tough, who believed in himself.

He claims he learned from "YouTube". Pros at the gym get on him for saying that.

He learned through being self taught and sparring a lot (good guys).

Back