I am urgently in need of advice

Tom Moore

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Morning All,

I'd appreciate a bit of assistance if possible. Situation is as follows:

I'm looking to do an amateur MMA fight for Cancer Research, around December time. I've never fought before. Would be 3x 2 minute rounds, 1 minute breaks. You get 8 weeks free training in MMA from the organisers before the fight, and it's supposed to be for beginners, so I don't want to cheat and go in having done loads before.

I work out 3 times a week, mainly bodyweight stuff. Been working out for 15-20 years, so I'm fairly happy with that.

I've started incorporating some standing bag work into that twice a week, doing 4 or 5 2 minute rounds. Finding it difficult but manageable. Just doing punches and knees (rules say no elbows, and I'm not flexible enough to kick! ).

My issue is that my cardio sucks. I've started doing one morning a week of hill sprints and one of a two mile jog. Sprints are 10x30m with one minute rest in between.

I thought I was going well. Then I played 5 a side football with work and got a brutal reality check. Not an issue with breathing, but legs tightened up and stiffened within 10-15 minutes. Two days later, I'm still walking like a robot.

My questions, if you could help, are as follows:

What cardio should I be doing to get ready for this (reckon I could do 3 mornings a week), specifically to do 3x2's?

Can anyone recommend some basic level flexibility work?

Can I get as fit as I need to in the next 5 months?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Tom

I think some steady state cardio like jogging is supposed to help, although I always got mine through brutal circuits.

Biggest thing will be you won't breathe. Make that a conscious aspect of all your practice. With rounds make it 4-5 three minute rounds, always train for more than you'll be doing.

Train almost exclusively straight punches and leg kicks. 1,2, right leg kick. 1,2, knee if he ducks to takedown.

The other guy will likely cheat and do more training, at least I've seen that a lot. Also if you start now you'll still be a beginner in Dec.

Just to say , I used to train heavily many years ago and would generally be fine the next day BUT whenever I did exercise that I wasn't used to I would suffer with doms etc the next couple of days.

I would be lifting, doing cardio and conditioning work but every once in a while there would be a charity football game or a challenge match that I would play in and you could write me off for a couple of days after...

I think some steady state cardio like jogging is supposed to help, although I always got mine through brutal circuits.

Biggest thing will be you won't breathe. Make that a conscious aspect of all your practice. With rounds make it 4-5 three minute rounds, always train for more than you'll be doing.

Train almost exclusively straight punches and leg kicks. 1,2, right leg kick. 1,2, knee if he ducks to takedown.

The other guy will likely cheat and do more training, at least I've seen that a lot. Also if you start now you'll still be a beginner in Dec.

Thank you, appreciated, I will take that on board.

I thought that doing more of the same length rounds was a good option, but looking at what you said, I see the sense in doing longer before you break.

Just to say , I used to train heavily many years ago and would generally be fine the next day BUT whenever I did exercise that I wasn't used to I would suffer with doms etc the next couple of days.

I would be lifting, doing cardio and conditioning work but every once in a while there would be a charity football game or a challenge match that I would play in and you could write me off for a couple of days after...

I feel slightly better for reading that! My legs are still in bits

Horses for courses mate. I've had people train with me who thought they were in good shape...and they were -for lifting weights or playing footie or running long distance...just not for rolling around on the floor or standing up in the clinch ....they've not been able to walk or move properly whilst I was fine..

Just wondering, is this an event called Ultra MMA?

Yeah, do you know much about it?
Its for a good cause. They seem to match everyone very well(I suppose they dont want any beat downs) My brother stepped in at very late notice to fill in for sombody at one of these, he was much better than his opponent so he took it fairly easy on him and it went to a draw. from what he said it seemed to be very well run.

Its for a good cause. They seem to match everyone very well(I suppose they dont want any beat downs) My brother stepped in at very late notice to fill in for sombody at one of these, he was much better than his opponent so he took it fairly easy on him and it went to a draw. from what he said it seemed to be very well run.

I'm pleased about that. I know it's mainly about the fundraising, but I'm under no illusions that I couldn't end up getting a proper pasting if I end up against someone who isn't a novice.

I won't pop up with a couple of mates to watch you then...that's a bit far for a Southern softy to come.

The less witnesses to my potential public embarrassment the better! :)

Sprints and jogs are good, but you simply can't get conditioned for striking and wrestling, without doing striking and wrestling. It's a very specific kind of conditioning, and you have to practice something in order to become energy efficient at it.

With that, you can still build your overall cardiovascular conditioning. Depending on your fitness level, I would do 2-3x jogs a week. Do 2 strength days instead of 3, and replace it with more conditioning and skill work. Your cardio will be more important for the match.

Just keep working, lower the strength training a little, do more long distance work and do more wrestling drills and shadowboxing/bagwork. Be patient.

When you do the bagwork and wrestling drills, you can start putting a timer on it and do it for 3x2 minute rounds to begin with, and then gradually do more rounds as time passes. You don't have to rush it, just be consistent. 5 months is a decent amount of time. Stay active during the rounds.

Mobility work, well, there are several options out there. It's about what you feel comfortable doing and what works for you. The limber eleven is pretty popular:

Personally I never used it though, but I do use a lot of simular active stretches.

This one is a pretty quick warmup drill which was posted here the other day:

Do that warmup drill and mix in horsestance isometrics like this, and you should be good to go:

Doesn't have to take more than 5-10 minutes each time. What you don't want is spending too much time additional stuff. It can become a drag and suddenly you are using 30-40 minutes each workout for warmups, stretching, mobility and what not. Less is more sometimes, just stay consistent.

Good luck with your fight, and respect for taking the challenge!

Sprints and jogs are good, but you simply can't get conditioned for striking and wrestling, without doing striking and wrestling. It's a very specific kind of conditioning, and you have to practice something in order to become energy efficient at it.

With that, you can still build your overall cardiovascular conditioning. Depending on your fitness level, I would do 2-3x jogs a week. Do 2 strength days instead of 3, and replace it with more conditioning and skill work. Your cardio will be more important for the match.

Just keep working, lower the strength training a little, do more long distance work and do more wrestling drills and shadowboxing/bagwork. Be patient.

When you do the bagwork and wrestling drills, you can start putting a timer on it and do it for 3x2 minute rounds to begin with, and then gradually do more rounds as time passes. You don't have to rush it, just be consistent. 5 months is a decent amount of time. Stay active during the rounds.

Mobility work, well, there are several options out there. It's about what you feel comfortable doing and what works for you. The limber eleven is pretty popular:

Personally I never used it though, but I do use a lot of simular active stretches.

This one is a pretty quick warmup drill which was posted here the other day:

Do that warmup drill and mix in horsestance isometrics like this, and you should be good to go:

Doesn't have to take more than 5-10 minutes each time. What you don't want is spending too much time additional stuff. It can become a drag and suddenly you are using 30-40 minutes each workout for warmups, stretching, mobility and what not. Less is more sometimes, just stay consistent.

Good luck with your fight, and respect for taking the challenge!

Thank you for all this, I'll change the training round as suggested. Much appreciated

No worries, let us know how it's working for you!
Apologies for taking a bit of time to respond, things haven't gone entirely well.

Basically, since my last post, I've had a couple of neurological issues that I suspect would stop me passing a medical. Even if they wouldn't, they've scared the wife and I to an extent that I don't feel comfortable taking the risk and scaring her into the bargain.

Thanks for all your advice (I feel much fitter for it), but I'm afraid it'll have to stay in the realms of what if.

Cheers

Tom

Apologies for taking a bit of time to respond, things haven't gone entirely well.

Basically, since my last post, I've had a couple of neurological issues that I suspect would stop me passing a medical. Even if they wouldn't, they've scared the wife and I to an extent that I don't feel comfortable taking the risk and scaring her into the bargain.

Thanks for all your advice (I feel much fitter for it), but I'm afraid it'll have to stay in the realms of what if.

Cheers

Tom
Thanks for the update. Your health and wellbeing has to come first and I'm sure we all hope it works out okay.

Tone.

Steady state cardio for sure. Have to build a solid base. My suggestion is to not over do it. Just bc you can do more don't. Keep it light enough you can remain consistent just enough to get your heart rate up a little bit and keep it there. It might not look pretty and the numbers/pace pace may be unimpressive but don't be in a rush to pick up the pace or do more

Back