I bought a knife

you have been buying garbage then. Spyderco are very durable razor sharp knives. I know several people who used them as everyday/utility knives in Iraq and love them. Benchmade are great knives. Even their red class (around $40 are quality). That would be my vote.

I just got issued thisGerber

I think Spyderco knives are great, I would just think twice about owning one because I dislike lockbacks. If I can open a knife with one hand, I'd like to be able to close it with one hand.

Should I keep it at home or carry it with me?

Should I train something for knife use?

Is a knife a good self defence tool or are you more likely to get in trouble (similar to newb lifters/martial arts overconfidence)?

Knives are best used as tools to take care of day to day tool opportunities, a good knife fighter knows how to walk away from a fight before someone gets killed or hurt badly, if you need protection and can't purchase a gun your better off leaving it at home and staying away from sketchy places that may be dangerous to your health...

Training with knives can be fun, but it makes you think that you could have gotten yourself killed against someone thats better than you.

Should I keep it at home or carry it with me?

Should I train something for knife use?

Is a knife a good self defence tool or are you more likely to get in trouble (similar to newb lifters/martial arts overconfidence)?

I personally carry a knife at all times and I will use against multiple opponents or one armed opponent. Don't expect to use it in a 1 on 1 fight and get away with it because you won't...you will end up in jail unless the guy was trying to kill you.

If you carry one then you better learn how to use it as well how to deploy it. Get some knife training...preferably with an FMA. Also learn the knife laws of the state you live in.....you don't want to carrying one if the law states you can't. Good luck

Where the hell do you people live to be so worried about carrying a knife 24/7 :/

Afghanistan?
Do you wear a seatbelt? is it because you WANT to get into an accident, or because it's helpful just in case?

And a knife is a multitasker. I mean, odds are REALLY good you'll never use it for self defense, but having something on hand to open boxes or packaging or whatever is really handy. I use my pocketknife at least once a day.

on topic: I've been looking at getting a spyderco stretch 2. Nutnfancy says it's the probably the best folder he's ever seen, and I dig the blade shape. Can't go wrong with the endura though (another nutnfancy project favorite).

Man when I can afford it, I'm getting a SOG Tech Bowie, also highly regarded by Nutnfancy.

SOG_SOGS10P_SOG_Tech_Bowie_Polished_Blade.jpg

Man when I can afford it, I'm getting a SOG Tech Bowie, also highly regarded by Nutnfancy.

SOG_SOGS10P_SOG_Tech_Bowie_Polished_Blade.jpg

I'm not really a fan of fighting fixed blades. For my money, I'd rather get a survival blade like the trailmaster or recon scout. I just bought a RAT 6 knockoff made by ontario knives and I love it. The real difference between combat knives and survival knives seems to come down to length and blade thickness. A thicker blade allows for things like better chopping and wood splitting (and edge retention I'd bet, and a longer blade asside from aiding in chopping will let you better do things like digging more effectively. While a combat knife can certainly function in the capacity of a survival knife, a survival knife (specifically something like the recon scout) has greater carryover to combat IMHO.

But it's all about what you're going to do with it. if you never go backpacking, then something like the SOG tech may serve your purposes just fine (and it would STILL make an ok survival knife). but since I think most blades will be used for utility purposes 99% of the time, I shy away from thinner and shorter fixed blades in favor of something camping oriented.

Kabar makes some fine combat knives as well that you may want to consider if that's your thing. I think Nutnfancy just had a hardon for that double bowie shape on the SOG tech.

I'm not really a fan of fighting fixed blades. For my money, I'd rather get a survival blade like the trailmaster or recon scout. I just bought a RAT 6 knockoff made by ontario knives and I love it. The real difference between combat knives and survival knives seems to come down to length and blade thickness. A thicker blade allows for things like better chopping and wood splitting (and edge retention I'd bet, and a longer blade asside from aiding in chopping will let you better do things like digging more effectively. While a combat knife can certainly function in the capacity of a survival knife, a survival knife (specifically something like the recon scout) has greater carryover to combat IMHO.

But it's all about what you're going to do with it. if you never go backpacking, then something like the SOG tech may serve your purposes just fine (and it would STILL make an ok survival knife). but since I think most blades will be used for utility purposes 99% of the time, I shy away from thinner and shorter fixed blades in favor of something camping oriented.

Kabar makes some fine combat knives as well that you may want to consider if that's your thing. I think Nutnfancy just had a hardon for that double bowie shape on the SOG tech.

If I do end up getting it, it will almost certainly remain a safe queen, I'd have second thoughts about using an AUS 8 fighting blade as a camp/survival knife. If I were in the market for a survival/camp blade, I'd probably lean towards a Kabar/Becker TacTool.

BK3_large.jpg

If I do end up getting it, it will almost certainly remain a safe queen, I'd have second thoughts about using an AUS 8 fighting blade as a camp/survival knife. If I were in the market for a survival/camp blade, I'd probably lean towards a Kabar/Becker TacTool.

BK3_large.jpg
Went to a gun show the other day and got to handle one of those. Neat tool, maybe something I'd keep on my turnouts, but I still like the recon for outdoorsy stuff. The tactool is meant to function as a prybar if needed, which is cool but near useless in outdoors situations, and while the seatbelt cutter could function as a guthook, that certainly wasn't it's original intent. You COULD sharpen the front edge (it's dull) but that kind of negates safety of the using the seatbelt cutter on the back AND creates an edge that could pierce viscera if you were using it as a guthook.

Neat, but too job specific for a survival/camp blade for me. It belongs on my turnouts, not in my backpack. It'd be cool to have a gas key and O2 bottle key milled into the middle of it though and a ceramic window punch drilled and epoxied into the bottom of the handle... maybe I'll get one after all.

on SOG's website they hint at some new knives for 2010. I am trying to decide whether to order a Trident with serrations, which I don't particularly like, a Centofante 3 spyderco, or wait to see what's new from SOG..

decision decisions

on SOG's website they hint at some new knives for 2010. I am trying to decide whether to order a Trident with serrations, which I don't particularly like, a Centofante 3 spyderco, or wait to see what's new from SOG..

decision decisions

Get a Kershaw Leek.

decision decisions

Firstly, don't ever directly order from SOG or any other manufacturer because you can always find a better price at a retailer like yourcornerstore.com or something. Secondly, are you really that dead set on the Trident? From what I've seen it's a pretty mediocre knife and the Flash 2 or Aegis can be equally as competent without the "scary" tactical look. As far as I know, SOG's "big things" in '10 are their new flashlight and R. Lee Ermey.

The Centofante 3 is also a good choice but as I said before, lockback mechanisms are a deal breaker for me.

Back