I bought a PS4. Now what?

Now what? You watch two nerds bitch at each other for days on end.

You have literally begun to regurgitate logical arguments I introduced to the thread as assumptions in order to defend-- inappropriately & inadequately, btw-- the vagueness of your initial language (i.e. "if a gamer could have either Slim or Pro, with no consideration of price, then nobody would pick the Slim"). You are blissfully unaware that my logic is so powerful and undeniable that it has consumed you. I came into the thread just musing on the nature of a lighthearted troll of you by ITJ in order to provided an objective framework that any individual could use to further subjective considerations.

You don't even grasp the heart of the philosophical distinction between subjective and objective. You are determined to prove yourself right, not wrong, but there is no right or wrong in the subjective realm; there is just preference. To opine that there is a correct answer, even according to different needs, is to opine a variability of the objective. That's the sort of phenomenon you observe in biochemical study of human subjects. There is almost unexceptionally a spectrum of responses to any stimuli. Scientists assemble their conclusions by rooting them in what is mostly true, and that has objective value.

Here. This will cover it pretty exhaustively:
  1. https://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4
  2. http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/game...astupdate=0&showlastupdate=1&showothersales=0
  3. https://blog.us.playstation.com/tag/top-downloads/
  4. https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps4/filtered
  5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards
  6. Keeping it fresh: https://www.twitchmetrics.net/games/viewership
Sherdog's own threads:

Oh yeah, more succinctly curated from the first page:

Aren't you supposed to be a mod? Take this shit to PMs.

Aren't you supposed to be a mod? Take this shit to PMs.
giphy.gif

Feel free to contribute a post on the direct topic of the OP at any time, toy cop. You have three so far, and all have entertained this tangent (one I didn't initiate). I've contributed more responding to the OP in the single post you just quoted than you have in the thread.

Titanfall 2.
It's an AMAZING game, the story is top notch and the multiplayer is nothing short of awesome. Plus you can get it on the cheap..

DO IT.

giphy.gif

Feel free to contribute a post on the direct topic of the OP at any time, toy cop. You have three so far, and all have entertained this tangent (one I didn't initiate). I've contributed more responding to the OP in the single post you just quoted than you have in the thread.

This is rich. None of your posts have anything to do with the topic. You're spamming and you're also the one who started it. As I said, do your job and take it to PMs. TS doesn't care about your PCs framerates.

Last edited:
This is rich. None of your posts have anything to do with the topic. You're spamming and you're also the one who started it. As I said, do your job and take it to PMs. TS doesn't care about your PCs framerates.
That post lists 6 wonderful resources (and 4 Sherdog threads) for recommended PS4 games. This tangent also focused on PS4 Pro vs. PS4 Slim framerates, graphic differences, load times, overall performance snappiness, and relevance of longevity (particularly with a predictive eye towards backwards-compatible Console Exclusives & Platform Exclusives made for the next generation). Had nothing to do with PCs, so I'll infer that you didn't read it.

I'm quite partial to the remake of TLOU, myself, but many played that on PS3. A more obscure recommendation that won't be obvious in these resources is Until Dawn, which a female friend's high school son recommended to me, drew me in immediately, and that I found far more immersive than I expected. Perhaps an even more obscure recommendation would be PT, but that would prove pretty fruitless since he can't download that now after they pulled it from the PSN, and the project collapsed. He could check out Journey, but that's more an interactive short film than a game.

The other big-hitting exclusives are all pretty obvious.

Here’s my take, from an outsider(sort of) looking in, with an example that might heed some reasoning.

I loaded up Doom yesterday for the first time in a long time, I noticed there is now a 4K update available.

Now, I have an original One, which cannot output 4K, and no 4K tv.

But , my main tv my Xbox is on is getting long In the tooth, when it’s time to replace it(which i should do to some weird bars in the screen from the woman non stop putting candles on the entertainment center corners in front of the tv, exactly where the bars have popped up!! Madness!!) i might get a 4K.

So now, I have a 4K (assuming I replace it with a 4K which I probubaly will) tv, a game that has 4K capability and a non 4K console.

Let’s assume my One dies, I have the option of a one s, or an x or ps4slim or pro.

The s and the slim are cheaper, sure and happy enough I am now with this graphics level, since I have a 1080 tv, assume the 4K tv purchase.

Now, I buy the non 4K consoles and every game going forward has 4K capability for the respected system(Xbox or ps).

I only have 200.00 for a console, ok no problem I get the non 4K variant.

I have 400.00, but don’t want to spend it all on the console. , 3 months from now, every game I buy is 4K compliant and I have a 4K tv.

I’m stuck playing at a nerfed graphical version of my games, it getting everything out of them, or I buy ANOTHER console to play them the right way

Now I’m not out 400.00, I’m Out 600.00, the cost of both consoles.

Where as if I had nutted up and bought the latest one from the get go, I wouldn’t have that issue.

Then there is also the possible issue of the developers NOT MAKING the games with down playable capability on the non x or pro.

So now you are stuck with a console that only plays the old games and none of the new releases.

Historically I see this being a possibility from the PS side but not Xbox.
As my ONE will play 360 and Xbox games(not all, but you get the point)

With these considerations taken, I could not see purchasing a Slim, UNLESS, and a big UNLESS all you have feasbly at the time is 200.00 and can’t wait till you have 400.00, and know you’ll never be able to afford a 4K tv, in this console generation.

Cutting edge graphics are NOT my main concern, BUT I understand the possible future issues with not buying the best console version at the time, and either shell out the cash, or WAIT until I can.

TL:DR /Rant

For you 4k seems to be important so it would make sense for you to find a way to spend the money on something that will get you what you want in the long run. My point in this discussion has always been that a good purchase for someone is entirely dependent on their own criteria for what they want. Someone who doesn't have a 4k tv and most likely won't have one for many years isn't going to be worried about getting a 4k console. Is the Pro even considered a 4k console? I'm not sure. Anyways I was stoked at getting such a great deal on a PS4 to play all the games I have wanted to play for a long time. The price and the games are all I cared about. How much longer the slim is supported with games is not a concern for me. Any advantages a Pro might bring is not a concern for me. I stand behind my original post here that not everyone cares about slightly better graphics but that is no diss on those who do care about what the pro does. I would definitely recommend the Pro to professional gamers and streamers that want every ounce of performance that they can get.

For you 4k seems to be important so it would make sense for you to find a way to spend the money on something that will get you what you want in the long run. My point in this discussion has always been that a good purchase for someone is entirely dependent on their own criteria for what they want. Someone who doesn't have a 4k tv and most likely won't have one for many years isn't going to be worried about getting a 4k console. Is the Pro even considered a 4k console? I'm not sure. Anyways I was stoked at getting such a great deal on a PS4 to play all the games I have wanted to play for a long time. The price and the games are all I cared about. How much longer the slim is supported with games is not a concern for me. Any advantages a Pro might bring is not a concern for me. I stand behind my original post here that not everyone cares about slightly better graphics but that is no diss on those who do care about what the pro does. I would definitely recommend the Pro to professional gamers and streamers that want every ounce of performance that they can get.

Did you even read my post? i covered that??

BUT if your TV is getting older, and you think 4k's might be in your budget before the NEXT console generation comes, you might be sorry you skimped..

I clearly covered those scenario's...

Ive seen 43" 4k's for under 200.00 on some internet deals....

here is a referb for 229.00

4k 60hrz..

when all 4k tv's were 2k(like when 1080p FIRST came out, or 720p FIRST came out) i was on the same "who needs 4k" feeling, hell im still that way.

My Bedroom TV is STILL 720p, it's a 55" PLASMA, that hoe is still going strong, and my bedroom is big so we are far back from it so it really isnt a graphical sensible option to upgrade, but when It DOES die, and I find a good deal on a 4k, that's what I'll get unless i can't find a deal, then it will be 1080..

I think you are looking for ways to argue here...

I gave reasons why to buy a slim, and reasons why I most likely would NOT

Did you even read my post? i covered that??

I skimmed it and then just ranted a bit.

BUT if your TV is getting older, and you think 4k's might be in your budget before the NEXT console generation comes, you might be sorry you skimped..

I clearly covered those scenario's...

Ive seen 43" 4k's for under 200.00 on some internet deals....

Yeah 4k is much cheaper for those who are really interested. I'm not in any hurry to replace my 50 inch Samsung I have been using for awhile. When I finally do replace it I don't even know how important 4k will even be.

I think you are looking for ways to argue here...

I don't believe I was arguing with anything you said. Just responding with stuff.

No, I'm blaming you for being upset that he chided you for not telepathically divining your position before properly articulating it:

My post commenting on this exchange preceded any mention by you about money or value.

Of course you're wrong. There is subjective value and there is objective value. The matter of purchase preferences is subjective (with objective considerations). This dispute about your language is patently objective, and you are objectively wrong.

Jeez Mick, this guy is a true plebeian, why are you even bothering?

Plebs will be plebs. Let him be.

Last edited:
The Last of Us Remastered, God of War, Uncharted, Until Dawn, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Show if you're a baseball fan.
Great list. I still have to play Until Dawn though!

TC, if you haven't played the Last of Us, def pick up the remastered version. It's a slow burn, but it really picks up. Horizon is awesome too. Yakuza Kiwami is amazing as well. If you like that, get Kiwami 2, they are remakes of the first two Yakuza games, compelling stories with fun combat.

I never cared much for the uncharted series, but a lot people like it. I didn't like God of War either, but like Uncharted, tons liked it.

I'd highly recommend Wipeout. It's such an incredible game. It takes a bit to master, but once you do, it's a total zen experience. It's amazing in VR too, but I only played that a bit at a friends place. I'm waiting for the PS5 and their eventually upgraded VR set, as the playstation is very limited compared to the Rift, especially control wise.

Great list. I still have to play Until Dawn though!

TC, if you haven't played the Last of Us, def pick up the remastered version. It's a slow burn, but it really picks up. Horizon is awesome too. Yakuza Kiwami is amazing as well. If you like that, get Kiwami 2, they are remakes of the first two Yakuza games, compelling stories with fun combat.

I never cared much for the uncharted series, but a lot people like it. I didn't like God of War either, but like Uncharted, tons liked it.

I'd highly recommend Wipeout. It's such an incredible game. It takes a bit to master, but once you do, it's a total zen experience. It's amazing in VR too, but I only played that a bit at a friends place. I'm waiting for the PS5 and their eventually upgraded VR set, as the playstation is very limited compared to the Rift, especially control wise.

Until Dawn is fantastic

I'm not going to bother reading up on whether it's a slim or a pro. I just bought it because the price was right. It was the Spider-Man bundle so whatever version that was on Black Friday.

But I will say that I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and started into it last night and WOW!!! Awesome game so far.

Last edited:
I'm not going to bother reading up on whether it's a slim or a pro. I just bought it because the price was right. It was the Spider-Man bundle so whatever version that was on Black Friday.

But I will say that I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and started into it last night and WOW!!! Awesome game so far.

It's the Slim. A Pro would have cost something like $150-$200 more. Out of curiosity would you have wanted to pay that to get marginally better graphics and quicker load times?

I was stoked to get that same deal. Already have an Xbox One and I never planned to get both consoles so I wanted to spend as little as possible.

No man. I already stated that I'm content with the graphics on my OG Xbone and whatever version of PS4 this is. The human eye can only see so much detail, and I'm a twitch player anyways so it's all a blur.

Man i am jealous.

One of the best games I've ever played. I hope you get the same enjoyment out of it that i had. Loved the action, the story, everything.

Hell i might play it again but it ain't ever gonna be as good as the first time...

If there is one gaming sequel i truly crave for it would be this one.

Back