I can bench more than I can squat.

O

Overtures

It's not because I skip leg day, either.

I don't really know what I'm doing in the gym. I just work out for fun, but I do want to see some gains. But yeah, I can naturally bench (210lbs) more than I can squat (200lbs).

My lower body is just really weak. My hips always feel jacked up, my lower back feels uneasy under weight, my knees pop. It's just generally sloppy.

Question is, what do I do? I mean, is it really even important to squat a lot? Like why do we call upper body stuff accessory lifts?

Q: What do I do?
A: Squat more. Try Bill Starr's 5x5. There might be better alternatives, but you haven't given us any information on your routine, so I can only guess.

Q: Is it really even important to squat a lot?
A: Squatting (of some kind) is very important if you want to get strong. Not so much if you're just looking for some beach muscles.

Q: Why do we call upper body stuff accessory lifts?
A: We don't. I believe you're confused on this matter. There are plenty of lower body accessory lifts.

I don't know how you train, but sometimes when you aren't good at something, it's because you don't like it, so you don't do it much. Meanwhile, things you like, you do a lot and so you don't suck. "Don't like = suck at = rarely do". I think the right approach is to do the thing you suck at a tonne... you tend to get better at it, and tend to start liking it.

You probably need to get on a program that ensures you squat plenty.

well if you're worried about lifting bros thinking less of you, it might be a slight problem.

otherwise there's literally no other reason to give a shit.

I don't really know what I'm doing in the gym.

We don't either.

Less snarky response: By your numbers, it looks like you either haven't trained very long, or haven't trained very seriously. You can't expect to get stronger under those conditions. I'm sure there's a tonne of advice on technique, programming etc you could benefit from, but if you're squatting 200 pounds those aren't the major problems yet. Just start by doing squats like, twice or three times per week, and get some volume in with weights that feel reasonably heavy*. Right now you're probably not doing that.

*as in, not too light. 200 pounds might not be comparatively much, but it is still a level at which you have to start pushing yourself to see results.

Last edited:
There was lots of good information here that I'm going to be able to apply.

Thanks to everyone.

To be honest, this was the most helpful sherdog thread I've ever created.

Squat more. Benching is great, but the Squat is king if you want to do anything athletic.

Start squatting 5x5, then move to 3x5 when you cant do 5 sets anymore.

It's not because I skip leg day, either.

I don't really know what I'm doing in the gym. I just work out for fun, but I do want to see some gains. But yeah, I can naturally bench (210lbs) more than I can squat (200lbs).

My lower body is just really weak. My hips always feel jacked up, my lower back feels uneasy under weight, my knees pop. It's just generally sloppy.

Question is, what do I do? I mean, is it really even important to squat a lot? Like why do we call upper body stuff accessory lifts?
The first poster already nailed it. I'm a casual who works out at home, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

But yeah 5 x 5 lifts will be the best remedy for you. Personally I like Reg Parks 5 x 5 routine the best.

1st Set 60% of your work load.
2nd Set 80% of your work load.
3rd to 5th Set 100% of your work load.

You determine your 100% rate by subtracting anywhere from 30 to 45 lbs from your 1 rep max.

The program is based on 3 days a week rotation. Each day you increase your work load by 5 lbs. as long as you can do it 3 x 5 times.

I've used this for almost two years now. Made allot of progress. I started off humble and set myself at pretty small minimums. I was consistent enough, but I most definitely took my days off as well. (being married with kids will do that to you)

Day 1
Squat 135 lb x5
Deadlift 135 lb x5
OHP 65 lb x5
Bench 135 lb x5

Presently I'm at this.
Squat 335 lb x 5 (200 lb increase)
Deadlift 365 lb x 5 (230 lb increase)
OHP 135 lb x 5 (70lb increase)
Bench 255 lb x 5 (120lb increase)

I've never bothered to ever do a 1RPM, because personally I just don't care. (When my penis needs to be big, its for my wife whom I love.) I'm closing in on 40 sooner then later. 6'0 ft 175lb 14% body fat (damn Latina wife and all that mexican food lol)

I'm sure there's others that will post likely more useful stuff. But if you want a good base then 5 x 5 lifts is the best option.

The first poster already nailed it. I'm a casual who works out at home, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

But yeah 5 x 5 lifts will be the best remedy for you. Personally I like Reg Parks 5 x 5 routine the best.

1st Set 60% of your work load.
2nd Set 80% of your work load.
3rd to 5th Set 100% of your work load.

You determine your 100% rate by subtracting anywhere from 30 to 45 lbs from your 1 rep max.

The program is based on 3 days a week rotation. Each day you increase your work load by 5 lbs. as long as you can do it 3 x 5 times.

I've used this for almost two years now. Made allot of progress. I started off humble and set myself at pretty small minimums. I was consistent enough, but I most definitely took my days off as well. (being married with kids will do that to you)

Day 1
Squat 135 lb x5
Deadlift 135 lb x5
OHP 65 lb x5
Bench 135 lb x5

Presently I'm at this.
Squat 335 lb x 5 (200 lb increase)
Deadlift 365 lb x 5 (230 lb increase)
OHP 135 lb x 5 (70lb increase)
Bench 255 lb x 5 (120lb increase)

I've never bothered to ever do a 1RPM, because personally I just don't care. (When my penis needs to be big, its for my wife whom I love.) I'm closing in on 40 sooner then later. 6'0 ft 175lb 14% body fat (damn Latina wife and all that mexican food lol)

I'm sure there's others that will post likely more useful stuff. But if you want a good base then 5 x 5 lifts is the best option.

Holy shot your original numbers are very close to mine and your current numbers are very close to my goals.

Holy shot your original numbers are very close to mine and your current numbers are very close to my goals.
It's a very doable program. I loved it because it's simple and actually very fast. You take anywhere from 1:30 second breaks to an upward of 5 mins between sets. This allows you to regain your ATP for the next set.

Allot of the times I found myself finishing my training session in just under 45mins. For the first year. As the weights got heavier I found myself taking the longer breaks between sets. This helped out immensely. Another thing is you have to realize that at some point you won't be able to add 5lbs ever single time. You will naturally hit a wall. Don't be disappointed or discouraged it happens to everyone.

I hit several walls throughout my two years. It usually goes like this. Your first walk is your OHP, then bench, then squat, lastly deadlift. (At least it was this way for me)

When you hit a wall there's several remedies you can do.

1. Take longer rests between sets. Sometimes I took a full 5 minutes, no joke.

2. De loads. Drop the weight down by 10% of what you're presently doing. Do that same weight for like 3 sessions in a row, then go back up. (I personally thought this would never work, but it actually did. This helped me allot when it came to my squat and deadlifts)

3. Take time off. Yes this is going to sound crazy. But there were times when I would get burned out of doing this, or I had no time because of family or work. Don't get discouraged. The time off can secretly be a God send. The longest break I took at one point was literally two weeks. When I first came back I was worried as fuck, that I was going to be super weak. I basically started back on a de load of where I left off. Doing that was great because I was able to still do my work loads at 100%. I did that for a week and I was back right where I left off and continued to add more weight.

Lastly keep a log book or journal. I remember when I started and then when I saw I was squatting 225 for 3 x 5 that was the most amazing feeling in the world.

Listen I don't care what other people tell you. If you can squat 225 x 5 times your likely stronger then 97% of the world populace. (I'm not kidding) I know you'll get some guys coming in here and being like I don't even warm up with that bro, but never mind them. Let the egotistical douche bags be just that.

Your here to please yourself and no one else. I don't care if I'm not the strongest guy in the world, heck I don't care if some of the guys that hang out in this subsection call *me* weak. Good for them! Lol. Just be happy with yourself, pace yourself, be patient and results will come.

I hope this helps.

I'd also submit a video of your form or have someone knowledgable watch your form and help with any corrections you might need.

Also what are your limiting factors why your squat numbers are so low. Where do you fail? Is it in maintaining the form in the back or are you just not able drive with your legs? Are you deadlifting as well? I've noticed a lot better performance in the stabilizing of my core especially back when I maintain my deadlifting regimen as part of my workouts.

Finally, did you start out like most of us as teenage bench monkeys? If so then of course your squats will be weaker than your bench.

and also include front squat in your routine. i noticed front squats make you lift heavier in back squat. and will make you even deadlift heavier. + eat a lot. .

I was the same I just spent time focusing on form and also 5x5 routine it really evened out my body and pushed my squat about 45lbs higher then my bench

Back