I can't finish off opponents with submissions

Chinawhitebelt

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi

I am a recently promoted two stripe white belt been training for about 1 year. I can submit people but more experienced opponents even white belts see me coming, and even if I get side mount or full mount they escape my rubbish submission attempts! Any tips for this?

Train more, focus on control and setups. To be honest, at white belt your focus shouldn't be on submissions, it should be on surviving, positional escapes, and controlling positions once you get em. Submission sharpening will come naturally afterwards.

If you don't have an element of surprise (doing it during transition, you do a feint, you do something they don't know about...) it's tough to finish someone that has better escapes skills than your submission skills.

In my experience, you need to have far better execution skills than your opponent escape skills to manage an obvious submission. If it's an obvious armbar (he takes the time to set it up and get into position...), I will escape them 80% of the time, even against guys way better than me.

You need to be fast and not thinking so much. So you don't need to have a wide arsenal of attacks. For me it's ezekiel to make him put his arms up and I try a arm triangle that I can switch to ezekiel if he gets away. If he's going on his side I go to S mount and I try the basic armbar. I used to try the mounted triangle a lot but the success rate was very low and I was getting reversed a lot.

your a white belt and you are concern because people better than you escape your subs attemps? hmmmmm

Any tips for this?

U5ViXWC.png

First you get ze position then you ze submission.

Punch them in the face to open up the subs

subs are alot easier when they're KO'd

Learning guards and escaping first helped me a lot.

Also, I would wait patienly and control my stamina until they're gassed. White belts are super aggressive at sparring and get tired too quick.

Hi

I am a recently promoted two stripe white belt been training for about 1 year. I can submit people but more experienced opponents even white belts see me coming, and even if I get side mount or full mount they escape my rubbish submission attempts! Any tips for this?

how many hours a week do you train to reach 2 stripes?

Learning guards and escaping first helped me a lot.

Also, I would wait patienly and control my stamina until they're gassed. White belts are super aggressive at sparring and get tired too quick.

You tricky sob lol...

Just coming back after long (1yr +) layoff.

Had a nice little arsenal of high % subs. Now I can finish fucking nothing.

So hopefully you're doing what I did just in reverse. You'll get there eventually.

Ive seen striped white belts who dont even know how to tie their fucking belt let alone pull off submissions against people with more training time.

I'm still trying to figure out what a white belt gets promoted from?

Focus on 1 submission, say a choke or armbar or kimura or triangle for the whole month or 6 weeks or until you are successfully submitting people with it. Try to get it from all positions. Then move on to another. Soon you will see that the steps (or principles) you followed to secure position and get the sub you have been working on for the month will be the same for the second sub you will work on. They will also connect too, a kimura can turn to an armbar, an armbar to a triangle, triangle to kimura, and so on. It requires patience and persistence but it will help.

Focus on 1 submission, say a choke or armbar or kimura or triangle for the whole month or 6 weeks or until you are successfully submitting people with it. Try to get it from all positions. Then move on to another. Soon you will see that the steps (or principles) you followed to secure position and get the sub you have been working on for the month will be the same for the second sub you will work on. They will also connect too, a kimura can turn to an armbar, an armbar to a triangle, triangle to kimura, and so on. It requires patience and persistence but it will help.
Sound advice. Picking one money sub at a time is what’s im doing when ive been doing bjj for 5 years

Back