I do some heavybag and shadowboxing, watch bjj videos. Could I wack your average joe?

I've posted video of myself hitting the heavybag in the boxing forum previously, I am told my left hook (lead hook) is pretty sick. Won't enroll to a proper hym though cause I don't wanto get bruised up or concussed. Also I'm not sure if I have a good chin, sometimes I purposefully hit myself on the chin and I kinda go wobbly.
Never trained bjj, onyl watched videos, but I sometimes get friends to roll with me to show off some moves.

Btw the question is, do you think that someone who like me follows MMA and maybe hits the bag a few times a week and knows some bjj and wrestling theory, could easily dispatch the average joe in the streets?

5'9''
bout 195 pounds
If you'd like to hear from the voice of ignorance, I'll be glad to weigh in; let's drop the word "easily" from the equation. Just winning is good enough. An average woman can potentially be a pain in the ass to dispatch if the need was to arise. So, seeing as how the average Joe on the street is a sedentary couch potato, I'd say you'd be well above average. However, I'd say the odds are pretty good that the type guys that are aggressive and apt to cause you problems would typically be a bit above average. Not always of course, but more times than not IMO. All that being said, there are those guys who do no training and may even look totally harmless who could clean your clock. These guys are just blessed with certain natural gifts and can sometimes best trained fighters so never get cocky.

30, no formal training, hasn't fought in 13 years, watches MMA videos, throws a mean hook to an inanimate object that can't duck or swing back.

You'll do fine. I recommend you punch pretty much anyone and then report back when you wake up.

Once you've gotten the fight bug out of your system, you should then retire from fighting and take up MMA announcing.
It is the natural progression.
Besides, sometimes your friends think you say a funny thing and also, how hard could it really be?
You've heard plenty of words. Right? Go for it ! !

You'd obviously destroy them easily.

your bag work and "pretty sick left hook" mean nothing unless you have proved that you can do it in real sparring, have you ever done real sparring or been in any kind of real fight?. It seems that you are scared of getting hit which is not a very good sign. If any of those "average joes" you refer to have been at least in a real street fight once before I'll give them the upper hand

I've posted video of myself hitting the heavybag in the boxing forum previously, I am told my left hook (lead hook) is pretty sick. Won't enroll to a proper hym though cause I don't wanto get bruised up or concussed. Also I'm not sure if I have a good chin, sometimes I purposefully hit myself on the chin and I kinda go wobbly.
Never trained bjj, onyl watched videos, but I sometimes get friends to roll with me to show off some moves.

Btw the question is, do you think that someone who like me follows MMA and maybe hits the bag a few times a week and knows some bjj and wrestling theory, could easily dispatch the average joe in the streets?

5'9''
bout 195 pounds

I stopped fighting at parties and randomly on the street because dentistry is very expensive(for my apponent or myself). My buddy knocked some dude out at a party and the guy lost a few teeth! He got sued for $12000 in dental bills and beat jail time and a bigger suit because the judges declared it mutual combat.

If you'd like to hear from the voice of ignorance, I'll be glad to weigh in; let's drop the word "easily" from the equation. Just winning is good enough. An average woman can potentially be a pain in the ass to dispatch if the need was to arise. So, seeing as how the average Joe on the street is a sedentary couch potato, I'd say you'd be well above average. However, I'd say the odds are pretty good that the type guys that are aggressive and apt to cause you problems would typically be a bit above average. Not always of course, but more times than not IMO. All that being said, there are those guys who do no training and may even look totally harmless who could clean your clock. These guys are just blessed with certain natural gifts and can sometimes best trained fighters so never get cocky.

Last part is very true. Everyone knows one guy that is natural born fighter. My buddy "sharky" was 5'8" about 160lbs in high school and he was like a mini Mike Tyson. He used to ko every one and not afraid or intimidated by anybody!!! Ahh man getting old sucks!!

Have to say you'd get mauled

Know why I know that ? You won't join a gym because your afraid to get bruised and concussed

Sorry to say it but that alone says you don't have a fighters heart or mind. Mate, hitting the bag is a lot lot different to fighting, even sparring is, if you attended a gym regular and fought competitively you'd know that.

You also have doubts on your chin, that's another seed of doubt that would be in your mind if trouble flared up, there is some rough, rough, violent people in the world out in them streets and if you haven't got the right mentality it doesn't matter how 'sick' your lead left hook is on the bag you will get savaged

I think you should stick to training for fitness

Fighting ain't a game bruva

You don't want to be one of those 'I train UFC' people that thinks they can fight cos they watch the sport and move about on the bag a bit

Not trying to put you down or dishearten you but just marking your card about the fact you could get absolutely battered due to not having the mental make up and proper training

But really this is a divvy question and insulting to proper fighting men who work tirelessly at their craft. Why would you want to beat an 'average joe' anyway, are you a bully? There's no respect in beating people who have no interest in fighting

Plus on the streets you may not have to contend with just punches, a geezer might literally try and bite your nose off, gouge your eye out or even stab you. You'd wilt

Last edited:
Back