I don't get this narrative that Romero's round 5 was a 10-8 round. Anyone else?

I think it was borderline 10-9/8.

Romero dropped him, had him hurt several times, controlled the grappling and the Octagon. Most importantly, Whittaker was completely defensive and trying to survive the round.

At least in Round Three he answered back, hit Romero with wicked shots and stayed even for most of the round after being hurt.

In the fifth, if you subtract out the shots that staggered or hurt Whittaker, Romero wins. If you just look st striking. Romero wins. If you just look at grappling, Romero wins. Easily, in all aspects. Is it all enough to be 10-8? Don’t know, but the fact that I’d be fine with someone scoring it that wsy says thete’s at least a solid argument there, though not as clear-cut or definitive as Romero supporters claim.

No. He fought back in both rounds. He got dropped near the 2:30 Mark of round 5. You cant ignore all the offence Whittaker scored with against Yoel prior to being dropped.
Doesn't really matter if he didn't fight back he was almost out on the ground and almost tkod on the fence. Anytime you almost get finished twice in a round should be a 10-8

its doesnt matter how other fights were scored, you judgeevery fight objectively, thats rule numbher one.

It was a close fight that could have gone either way, so they gave it to Whitaker.

Yes but the issue what hapoened in those fights that warranted a 10-8 but not this in round 5?

I personal think it shoulda been a draw or whittaker. Not upset over it.

Fighters who miss weight should have a point taken away each round of the fight

It depends on your viewpoint... I do wish that judges would award more 10-8 rounds. I personally think it should be a 10-8 round. The logic is simple:

Let's assume that Whittaker won the 4th round 10-9 (which I believe he did). Do you really think that Romero's 5th round should be scored equally with Whittaker's 4th round??? Of course not! Romero nearly finished the fight at one point in the 5th, whereas the 4th round was Whittaker landing jabs/kicks on a gassed Romero that did little damage.

I only wish that more 10-8 and even 10-7 round scores were handed out. However, if we are comparing the 5th round to other fights -- many other fighters have had equally dominant rounds and only been scored a 10-9. So using precedent, it's a 10-9 round.

Doesn't really matter if he didn't fight back he was almost out on the ground and almost tkod on the fence. Anytime you almost get finished twice in a round should be a 10-8
Well it's not. You can't score a fight by "should be" results. All rounds were 10-9

I think it was borderline 10-9/8.

Romero dropped him, had him hurt several times, controlled the grappling and the Octagon. Most importantly, Whittaker was completely defensive and trying to survive the round.

At least in Round Three he answered back, hit Romero with wicked shots and stayed even for most of the round after being hurt.

In the fifth, if you subtract out the shots that staggered or hurt Whittaker, Romero wins. If you just look st striking. Romero wins. If you just look at grappling, Romero wins. Easily, in all aspects. Is it all enough to be 10-8? Don’t know, but the fact that I’d be fine with someone scoring it that wsy says thete’s at least a solid argument there, though not as clear-cut or definitive as Romero supporters claim.
This is very reasonable. A mature response.

I had it 10-9, but I'm a boxing fan that watches mma occasionally.

It was significantly more dominate than the other 10-9 rounds, so WTF else can it be?

Either give the other much closer rounds 10-10 or score this one 10-8 scoring them all 10-9 doesn't reflect the reality of the fight.

Idk but he got rounds 3,4,5, by at least 10-9 in my book.

I agree, and When Joe Rogan said there might even be a 10-7 my mind was blown

Well it's not. You can't score a fight by "should be" results. All rounds were 10-9
I know I'm just saying that its ridiculous that they were score that way..once again mike Jackson got a 10-8 for nothing and you're gonna tell me that Romero got a 10-9? It's such crap.

I know I'm just saying that its ridiculous that they were score that way..once again mike Jackson got a 10-8 for nothing and you're gonna tell me that Romero got a 10-9? It's such crap.
I believe jackson got a 10-8 because punk looked like a fish out of the water and couldn't even fight back.

Im truly flabbergasted

Romero dropped Whittaker, and then the rest of the round was Whittaker holding on to a single, Romero riding the back, or both battling for position in the clinch

Where is this fake news coming from that Romero beat Whitaker from corner to corner while scoring multiple knockdowns?

Under no criteria was it a 10-8 round

It wasn't a round where a fighter had total and absolute full control from a very dominant position for the entirety of the round ala Shogun's round 5 against Hendo (Shogun was robbed of a DRAW)

It wasnt a round where a fighter was dropped numerous times and had an absolute striking clinic put on them ala Conor's massacre striking clinic on Nate in round 2 of their rematch (Conor was robbed blind of a clear cut dominant UD decision over Nate)

There was NOTHING about Romero's round 5 that ever consistuted a legit 10-8 round, no matter the criteria you try to use.

Just goes to show you how many were brainwashed by Rogan's insanely biased commentary

Remember, all MMA fights are scored round by round, so based on the actual scoring criteria, the only correct decision was Whittaker 48-47. Judges were actually bang on spot on with this fight. Super super super close fight, but a fight that Romero in no way deserved to actually win

For all the talk about 10-8s, how ABOUT WHITTAKER'S round 1. Whittaker out struck Romero in the numbers by some crazy amount in that round.
Re-read yer post

Nearly every paragraph has a contradiction. Can you spot them all? ;)

Robert clearlywon (He even did the most damage) Romero nuthuggers are a joke.

I'm not switching to the new mentality of handing out 10-8's more readily. To me, a 10-8 is still a fighter that lands virtually no offense the entire round and is basically a human punching bag.

That said, Yoel didn't need a 10-8.

He won rounds 3 to 5 pretty handily, IMO.

Robert had a good round 1 and 2, in part because Yoel was doing all that weird shit.

Whittaker got the Hel beaten out of him in the last 3, though.

Because MMA shouldn’t be judged as point karate. Romero marched right through that wimpy shit in round 1, but Whittaker was flopping around like a fish when Romero landed his bombs in round 5. Is it really that hard to comprehend?
When you do absolutely fuck all but cover up and take punches, it should be a 10-8.

It was a very dominant round from 1 fighter.

Yes but the issue what hapoened in those fights that warranted a 10-8 but not this in round 5?

I personal think it shoulda been a draw or whittaker. Not upset over it.

plz read the first sentence again.

"It doesnt matter how the other fights were scored"

"Ya well what about how the other fights were scored?!?"

Please read

"I didn't watch the fight" stopped reading there.
Whittaker definitely won, but how could you present a case with that as your opening statement. Come on TS.

I can accept the narrative

I’m not buying the narrative that Romero
somehow won or “tied” the 4th round in 30 seconds or that the 3rd was a 10-8.

Back