I don't think it's fair to use PED's as metric to rule out GOAT candidacy.

Mysterio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For one, anything pre USADA is a completely different standard of testing than what we have now, and those of us in the wise know that are still probably a lot of people getting away with it now.

Post USADA UFC testing was an absolute joke. TRT juicing was actually legal for a long period of time as well.

Pride encouraged PED's ffs.

How are we going to compare a bunch of different era's with different testing standards and just disqualify those getting popped by USADA now?

I let ring accomplishments speak for themselves and Jones/Fedor/GSP/Anderson are all frontrunners. Testing be damned.

Sure, as long as we're clear about our criteria up front there's nothing wrong with that.

For one, anything pre USADA is a completely different standard of testing than what we have now, and those of us in the wise know that are still probably a lot of people getting away with it now.

Post USADA UFC testing was an absolute joke. TRT juicing was actually legal for a long period of time as well.

How are we going to compare a bunch of different era's with different testing standards and just disqualify those getting popped by USADA now?

I let ring accomplishments speak for themselves and Jones/Fedor/GSP/Anderson are all frontrunners. Testing be damned.
I really don't hold it against them until they fail a test in the Post-USADA Era.
Everything before that was just about fair game considering 3/4ths of them were on something.

Fighters are still taking PED's in this USADA era, maybe the type and way they are taking them has changed but the end result is that they are still using them, people act like fighters have not found ways round the USADA<45>

Only if your favourite fighter gets caught.

I remember how Silva fans were all anti-PED, how Silva is special because he's beating PED users.
Then he pops( more than once) and all of a sudden they make a complete u-turn and say PEDs were always fine to use lol. Most pathetic bunch.

I let ring accomplishments speak for themselves
And if a fighter tests positive for steroids and other PEDs, that makes all their ring accomplishments have a huge asterisk next to it.

Sorry, but you can't be the GOAT if you have to take steroids and other performance enhancing drugs.

Most fighters..if not all..have used at least one time in their careers.

People always have the weirdest, most specific criteria ever for these nerdy GOAT discussions.

"Jon Jones can't be GOAT because he bought a Bentley and real GOATs don't drive British luxury cars"

But anyway, fighting is an unnatural burden on the human body and thus unnatural measures have to be taken to mitigate that.

Last edited:
I agree on comparing fighters from different eras and organizations. However, it is vital that the two fighters in the octogan are on the same playing field. I cannot ignore PED use when discussing fighters in the same era and organization when one fighter is testing clean and the other pops.

Silva and Jones fans would of laughed at anyone accusing them of peds, now that they're caught "everyone is on them". Its not about PEDS its about CHEATING. If peds are allowed in pride then no one can cheat its a fair playing field. If Jones are Silva are using peds against opponents that aren't then its a huge advantage. The only one you could claim in the goat list before USADA is GSP, and GSP came back, didn't fail a test and actually went up a weight class and finished the champ. I'm sorry for you're favorite fighter being in the Goat of cheaters list but thats just how it is

Fighters are still taking PED's in this USADA era, maybe the type and way they are taking them has changed but the end result is that they are still using them, people act like fighters have not found ways round the USADA<45>
I mean I agree, but the steroids used are probably a lot more subtle and there are just more people getting popped now.

Pre USADA fighters would probably break the USADA testing systems they have now with the rocket fuel they were on<45>

I don't really care a bit if someone uses. And it would be best for everyone if UFC would go back to old way.

How did PRIDE encourage PEDs?

They had no rules against PEDs, how is that encouragement.

That's like PRIDE guys saying, yeah fuck the UFC they encourage elbows :D

You don't have to repeat everything Rogan says you know.

I'm new to UFC, and USADA, but if Jones is using stuff that the current fighters are not, then its cheating, and thus this is a pretty stupid thread.

If that's not the case, then my apologies.

Silva and Jones fans would of laughed at anyone accusing them of peds, now that they're caught "everyone is on them". Its not about PEDS its about CHEATING. If peds are allowed in pride then no one can cheat its a fair playing field. If Jones are Silva are using peds against opponents that aren't then its a huge advantage. The only one you could claim in the goat list before USADA is GSP, and GSP came back, didn't fail a test and actually went up a weight class and finished the champ. I'm sorry for you're favorite fighter being in the Goat of cheaters list but thats just how it is
But this isn't about who cheats, it's about who gets caught.

Even if more fighters is using post usada the program might still be a success. Ever tought about that?

People always have the weirdest, most specific criteria ever for these nerdy GOAT discussions.

"Jon Jones can't be GOAT because he bought a Bentley and real GOATs don't drive British luxury cars"

And more BS like that

But Jon Jones crashes all his cars

But Jon Jones crashes all his cars

Which, as a car guy, was a tough pill for me to swallow. Especially because that Bentley was the exact year and color scheme that I would get if I could. :(

So even though Jon totalled one of my favorite cars, his fighting ability still makes up for it. :cool:

Back