I don't think UFC wants Conor to fight again.

They knew when he got his Floyd money, he'd never fight for UFC money again and they let him do it anyway.

It became no longer cost effective for them to pay Conor' price to have him fight anymore.....cuts too much into profit margin.

And they've already reaped any residual benefit of his meteoric cross over rise in popularity.

They'd have to fall on miserable times financially in order for it to be worth it to them to have to pay the huge investment it would be for him to fight again.
And of course you have analyzed the revenue and cost reports of the UFC to support this, right?

I would much rather see the Conor vs Max Bless Holloway fight over any other fight. Max Holloway deserves that fight after totally dominating Jose Aldo.

Conor is responsible for several of the most successful PPVs the UFC has ever had. How on Earth does anyone think they lose money paying him?

Getting him back at this point it’s probably going to cost something like a $20 million guarantee plus a shit load of PPV. Yikes.

I don’t care about him at all and wish he would disappear. The guy is skilled, but his attitude and shtick are annoying as hell. Fight, don’t fight, whatever, as Dana has said “the show must go on.” We already have a new lw champ and he is defending his title against Khabib. Much more excited fight as far as I’m concerned.

Hard to find motivation to put yourself through training and the actual fight/fight promotion when you're worth a couple hundred million getting money from so many other sources.
I highly doubt he’s worth a couple hundred million.

Getting him back at this point it’s probably going to cost something like a $20 million guarantee plus a shit load of PPV. Yikes.
Really ufc gonna be hurting from 20mill and some more from ppv points lol cmon let’s just say his return fight sells 2M ppv that’s 120mill generated from that alone plus the gate can bring in another 15-20m alone from his fight plus all the other stuff apparels etc that will come too plus all the sponsors for that fight. I think you don’t realize how cheap the ufc is at paying their fighters compared to other sports.

Conor is responsible for several of the most successful PPVs the UFC has ever had. How on Earth does anyone think they lose money paying him?

it's kind of simple to think that, tbh

The cards he is on have to be huge. Huge cards cost a shitload of money in marketing and promotion. If the amount of PPV sales don't cover that cost plus the cost of Conor's purse, all their other overheads, and result in a high profit margin then it's not worth it. What the OP is suggesting is that Conor's purse has become too high for the possible return. And it very well could have if his guaranteed pay has skyrocketed. The events might sell a lot, but might not enough to be considered highly profitable.

Best way to handle it, imo, is to keep his garaunteed pay reasonable but up his % points if he has to earn a certain amount of money to fight. Let him earn it through his efforts in the promotion process.

Really ufc gonna be hurting from 20mill and some more from ppv points lol cmon let’s just say his return fight sells 2M ppv that’s 120mill generated from that alone plus the gate can bring in another 15-20m alone from his fight plus all the other stuff apparels etc that will come too plus all the sponsors for that fight. I think you don’t realize how cheap the ufc is at paying their fighters compared to other sports.

Just because they can afford to dish out 20 million doesn't mean it's worth it for them to.

$20 million could be reinvested to the company to allow for better growth than a single fight from the double stripped champ champ

How backwards can one's logic be? His popularity is wildly higher than anyone else in MMA, and they don't want him to fight again? Huh?

A lot of people obviously get a cut of that amount of money you were talking about. If the pay-per-view generates 120 million the cable companies get about half. So that’s 60 million. It’s going to take a huge number to get him back. And that is their fault for allowing him to box and make as much money as he did.

If they don't hold their ground and pay too much, either he or the next one like him, will just do it again. You already have divas like Twood and Diaz trying to copy certain aspects of his game. They can't just sign him at any cost and financial gain, as it sets a dangerous precedent and they may have a mutiny on their hands. WME may keep him in their stable for other projects, but perhaps not for the UFC.

Silly. Doesn't matter what the price tag is if you make a return on it. He's all fans talk about and the media reports every little thing he does - they're begging him to come back.

And $20 million is peanuts if you look at the difference in what the PPV's make with and without him. They could easily pay him that and be massively profitable. The other thing is that when you have hugely popular fighters, the sport becomes bigger overall.

Just because they can afford to dish out 20 million doesn't mean it's worth it for them to.

$20 million could be reinvested to the company to allow for better growth than a single fight from the double stripped champ champ
Reinvest in what all these crap cards they’ve been shelling out to us lately and promoting some more sage nnganou and PVZ to me you wanna be considered a real sport pay your athletes what they’re worth think anyone in the nfl wanna pay Kirk cousins and all those QBs 25+ million no but you have to do it

And $20 million is peanuts if you look at the difference in what the PPV's make with and without him. They could easily pay him that and be massively profitable. The other thing is that when you have hugely popular fighters, the sport becomes bigger overall.

I am fine with them paying him a huge number. But it has never been really the way they do business. Yes fighters have earned more money over the years in terms of guarantees but nothing and I mean nothing like he is asking for.

I am fine with them paying him a huge number. But it has never been really the way they do business. Yes fighters have earned more money over the years in terms of guarantees but nothing and I mean nothing like he is asking for.
What fighters have been like him tho he’s a unicorn and all the others fighters knows he’s on a different level he plays by his own game from everyone else. They should be happy he’s upping the game and showing you can make more than what they holding out on everyone trying to keep them all the same.

Well, but that is the way negotiations work- he starts out at an astronomical number, then they bargain from there. They have always paid their best fighters way more than the others, and the gap in popularity between Conor and everyone else is way bigger than has been the case in UFC history. He is their only guaranteed massive draw. They need him way more than he needs them.

Back