I felt the real power of my instructor and I don't know if I can continue

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a purple belt. Been doing jiu jitsu for 9 years now and my instructor just destroyed me so bad I don't even know if I can continue. I posted a message on the private gym page on facebook about how I'd like to do a flow roll group before class and he was like that time is for beginners. Help me be good

Bring fishing line with you next time you roll. Tell him you've been practicing some chi stuff and you think you can beat him. Choke him with the fishing line and become the new sensei of the gym

Catch him in the carpark with a tire iron, I can guarantee he won't be able to continue after you give him a few slugs with that.

Take your belt off mid roll and choke him with it next time

Obviously life isn't worth living if you can't win gym rolls, so your only option at this point is to challenge him to mortal combat; winner inherits the mantle of master and loser commits ritual suicide to die with honor.

Last edited:
Are people strill doing flow rolls?
I do. I am an older guy and some days I just get in the groove with another high rank. It helps me stay on the mat and keep the saw sharp without breaking it down all the time.

Put your big girl panties back on and go out there get in his face as a humble student and roll with him at every opportunity!

That's how you get good, that's how you show him you are a Purple Belt ready to take on the challenge of reaching the next level.

Question: Did you think you were that good already? Did you think he wouldn't crush you?

Take your lumps swallow your pride and get the fuck back on the mat!

I'm a purple belt. Been doing jiu jitsu for 9 years now and my instructor just destroyed me so bad I don't even know if I can continue. I posted a message on the private gym page on facebook about how I'd like to do a flow roll group before class and he was like that time is for beginners. Help me be good

Another way of looking at it is to keep nine years in perspective. After nine years of school did you know as much as your high school teachers, or a university professor? Think about how great it is that you're doing something with enough depth that you're still learning after nearly a decade -- it means you're likely to enjoy it for a long time.

As you get older this becomes more important; you look around and you've been doing the same things for twenty, thirty years. Sometimes you've long since gotten tired of some of them, but continue because you have no choice -- part of your job, or your family's interests. But some things, like playing a musical instrument, are always fun because there's always something new to learn. Looks like BJJ fits into that category, which makes it worth sticking with.

Obviously life isn't worth living if you can't win gym rolls, so your only option at this point is to challenge him to mortal combat; winner becomes the new master and loser commits ritual suicide to die with honor.

I do. I am an older guy and some days I just get in the groove with another high rank. It helps me stay on the mat and keep the saw sharp without breaking it down all the time.
I can imagine it making sense for old dudes.

Im here to tell you the rabbit hole goes deeper than your coach.

I remember being a purple belt and almost taking my coach's back one time, and it was like he just instantly shifted into a higher gear and beat the snot out of me. As a black belt now he still beats me, but it's a lot more even and I understand what's happening at every point even if he's putting it on me. Just takes time.

Have you considered moving to a different gym?
I mean 9 years is a long time and maybe it is not working from this particular instructor.
Maybe trying out with another instructor with different teaching skills and program.

There's always Karate.

your mad and quitting cause you cant beat your coach? lolz isnt that the point? unless hes old or severely out of shape he should smash you sorry but this sport isnt for youif you feel this way lol id love for my coaches to smash me then they can help you improve if your just smashing them then you wont know your weak points

your mad and quitting cause you cant beat your coach? lolz isnt that the point? unless hes old or severely out of shape he should smash you sorry but this sport isnt for youif you feel this way lol id love for my coaches to smash me then they can help you improve if your just smashing them then you wont know your weak points

I can give my coach a run for his money. I am also 10 years younger. The reality is he is a great coach and has a lot left to tech me. I am going to go ahead and say Bill Belichick cant out play a single player on his team yet we still expect the best jujitsu players to make the best coaches.....

I was pretty drunk last night as I was snowed in. Just plateaued a bit in the past month or two and feeling bad about it. Definitely not gonna quit or move schools.

Are you doing any competitions? Sometimes people get stuck rolling limp and can’t switch gears when they need to.

Back