I felt the real power of my instructor and I don't know if I can continue

I remember being a purple belt and almost taking my coach's back one time, and it was like he just instantly shifted into a higher gear and beat the snot out of me. As a black belt now he still beats me, but it's a lot more even and I understand what's happening at every point even if he's putting it on me. Just takes time.

Knowing what your instructor is attempting pretty much says you're there. It's when you have no clue what you're being set-up for that you have to reassess.

I don't like flow rolling but I don't mind light rolling. A world of difference between the 2. I feeling flow rolling makes bad habits by encouraging unrealistic responses and reactions

Knowing what your instructor is attempting pretty much says you're there. It's when you have no clue what you're being set-up for that you have to reassess.
i know what my coach will do to me and there isn't a damn thing i can do about it. it pisses me off to no end, i just want to bring an axe with me next time and chop off those longass fucking legs of his. but then i try to remind myself that the bluebelt i smash on a daily basis probably feels the same way about me.

getting destroyed is good. it builds character. it's also excellent proof that what we're training actually works.

well my coach is basically the head coach and is a black belt in bjj, has also been training striking (boxing, muay thai, karate) for three decades of his life. I've been training BJJ for several years and dutch style kickboxing for about five years.
I'm better than most of the fighters at my gym (talking about the amateurs, we have 4 pros and I can only hang with 1 of them on the ground and 1 of them on the feet, other 2 just smash me everywhere)

anyway, I smash other guys and it gets to me. It's pretty bad. Because I think I can take the instructor and sometimes he wants to spar me infront of everyone lmaoooo. I think I can take him until I stand infront of him.
With everyone else I have super smooth movement and punches, sometimes slipping and weaving under 4-5 punch combinations.
But with coach it's like I freeze up when he comes at me. I can't slip anything, I can't counter right, my timing and distance control is off... Just pretty bad overall.

I did ALMOST get him in an armbar one time where he thought he could just give me his back and chill without me actually doing anything.

It's whatever though, he SHOULD smash you. if he DOESNT smash you at ANY POINT during your training, you're not actually learning shit that's good enough and need to switch schools.

I think Sherdog has really become classier as I can imagine this poster would have gotten called a pansy or worse in the past.

I think Sherdog has really become classier as I can imagine this poster would have gotten called a pansy or worse in the past.
probably true. Also, these responses are gold.

Isnt your instructor kicking you ass a good thing?

I am only a blue belt and now do marginally better against my professor than my first day rolling against him. He can sub me any time he wants. I personally find that a good thing because:

A) if someone can kick my ass so easily, obviously I can learn a ton from him.
B) if you are at an academy where you can consistenly beat your coach and teammates, you won't really grow and learn and should consider a new gym.

Just my personal opinion. I find my professor smashing me motivating to improve if anything.

I once got hooks in on my turtled coach with solid seatbelt control. Soon after he sniggered, and as I was in the process of getting wrist-locked I realised he was taking the piss out of me all along. Not sure what the moral of the story is but it seems relevant....

Thread title had great potential if Stitcharoo was still around ;)

I hear taekwondo is good at giving out belts

Isnt your instructor kicking you ass a good thing?

I am only a blue belt and now do marginally better against my professor than my first day rolling against him. He can sub me any time he wants. I personally find that a good thing because:

A) if someone can kick my ass so easily, obviously I can learn a ton from him.
B) if you are at an academy where you can consistenly beat your coach and teammates, you won't really grow and learn and should consider a new gym.

Just my personal opinion. I find my professor smashing me motivating to improve if anything.

Teammates yes, you need ones that are good to progress. Coaching has to be knowledgeable, but it doesn't matter if your coach is a good competitor so long as he can train good ones. You see this in all professional sports (for instance, only a quarter of NFL head coaches ever played in the NFL themselves, the winningest coach in the NHL Scotty Bowman played less than five games in the NHL as a player, Mike Tyson's coach Cus D'amato and Muhammad Ali's coach Angelo Dundee had almost no actual boxing experience ... well, you get the idea).

Coaching is a very different skill set than competing, and in fact most great competitors are lousy coaches (again you just have to look at what happens when greats like Gretzky and Jordan etc try to coach). But a good coach should have trained a lot of good competitors, so there should be plenty of people in his club to give you all the competition you need.

I'm a purple belt. Been doing jiu jitsu for 9 years now and my instructor just destroyed me so bad I don't even know if I can continue. I posted a message on the private gym page on facebook about how I'd like to do a flow roll group before class and he was like that time is for beginners. Help me be good
Your instructor destroyed you in sparring? What does that have to do with a Facebook post?

i know what my coach will do to me and there isn't a damn thing i can do about it. it pisses me off to no end, i just want to bring an axe with me next time and chop off those longass fucking legs of his. but then i try to remind myself that the bluebelt i smash on a daily basis probably feels the same way about me.

getting destroyed is good. it builds character. it's also excellent proof that what we're training actually works.

If you're not tapping, you're not learning. This is what makes BJJ different, and better, than so many other martial arts. You attempt to apply the techniques you have learned on a partner who is trying his best to do the same to you. You will lose a lot of Rolls, especially in the early days of training. Learning from those losses is what makes you a better fighter.

I'm a purple belt. Been doing jiu jitsu for 9 years now and my instructor just destroyed me so bad I don't even know if I can continue. I posted a message on the private gym page on facebook about how I'd like to do a flow roll group before class and he was like that time is for beginners. Help me be good
Nooooo keep pushing sherbro, you can do it!!

I got owned bad tonight and feel pathetic.

Been training 13 years and up for brown belt soon. I'm only small and most of the other team are white and blue belts. Each session I will actively seek out at least one arse kicking from our coach or our gym enforcer long time brown belt who destroys me. Puts everything in perspective, shows where flaws are brings the realism.

Back