I finally won a round

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I ve been whining for awhile I have a SP friend whos giving me pain in spars.

I finally won a round or two against him in yesterday's work out.

Few realizations I had in order to cope with him:
- backing up is bad. I just stood there, repositioning in place when he attacks instead of backing up. I definitely ate more shots, but I was able to counter too. He got hesitant in his attacks when I started counter. In one of the counters I trowed a power cross and cought him and almost knocked him down.
- jab needs to be purposeful, well guarded when doing it against SP. I had a lot of problems with him countering my jab. I finally worked on it and made it more defensive. I used two types of jabs - one shown by Sinister here and one my coach showed me (he basicallycorrected the jab I was doing)
- cross - hook and hook - cross are good attack starters against SP - I have always tried to start with a jab, but I against this SP friend and him countering my jabs, made me work on other attack starters
- jab head, double jab head, tripple jab head and adding a cross to the body actually works very well
- dips are great :) - I worked a bit on dipping and first his cross started missing. Then he tried to uppercut me or cross body but my hands were up when dipping.

Aye I am so happy with this progress. Now I need to start taking him rounds more often.

@Ilk nice post
I had a lot of problems with him countering my jab. I finally worked on it and made it more defensive. I used two types of jabs - one shown by Sinister here and one my coach showed me (he basicallycorrected the jab I was doing)
Can you elaborate on this??

- backing up is bad. I just stood there, repositioning in place when he attacks instead of backing up. I definitely ate more shots, but I was able to counter too. He got hesitant in his attacks when I started counter. In one of the counters I trowed a power cross and cought him and almost knocked him down.
- jab needs to be purposeful, well guarded when doing it against SP. I had a lot of problems with him countering my jab. I finally worked on it and made it more defensive. I used two types of jabs - one shown by Sinister here and one my coach showed me (he basicallycorrected the jab I was doing)
- cross - hook and hook - cross are good attack starters against SP - I have always tried to start with a jab, but I against this SP friend and him countering my jabs, made me work on other attack starters
- jab head, double jab head, tripple jab head and adding a cross to the body actually works very well
- dips are great :) - I worked a bit on dipping and first his cross started missing. Then he tried to uppercut me or cross body but my hands were up when dipping.

Aye I am so happy with this progress. Now I need to start taking him rounds more often.
Congrats

The round was fixed :p

Nice, glad to hear it! What is dipping?

i definitely started seeing improvements in my game when i started pushing forward, pressing the pace more.
when i first started sparring 3 months ago i was thinking i could stay on the outside using the jab and 1-2 all the time and outbox them, but my reach is on the shorter side for my height and all i was really doing was constantly backing up when they'd come forward and my jabs would mostly be blocked, and i couldn't get any hooks off. and when they'd rush me to get inside i'd keep backing away and getting hit on the inside. and the rounds were generally low action.

Now, over time ive gotten less and less prone to back up to the point where now ive changed my style up completely from what i did when i started and i now move forward getting mid to inside range and try not to give ground, if the sparring partner doesn't back up we end up face to face a nose distance apart and work the hooks/uppercuts at close range until one of us forfeits the skirmish - until someone tries to move around it. Or if we are at mid range ill pushing in and throwing my cross and lead hooks more as well the jab. I can land hooks now. It is a lot of work, the pace is much faster now and i feel a lot more accomplished with this style when the round ends. It's definitely helped me be more relaxed in the ring too and keep my guard up.

@Ilk nice post
I had a lot of problems with him countering my jab. I finally worked on it and made it more defensive. I used two types of jabs - one shown by Sinister here and one my coach showed me (he basicallycorrected the jab I was doing)
Can you elaborate on this??

Well my jab was reaching very forward or just checking distance. When reaching very forward my right hand that was protecting my chin was going back. And because it was reaching forward it was comming back very slow and it was easy to counter.
My coach showed me my mistake with the jab and we worked few rounds on it. He wanted that jab with more protection, weight more down, left shoulder more covering - basically we corrected the technique.

Sinister has showed in these posts on the other hand, how one should jab when facing a SP. The head instead going to the left, to go to the right and down, almost as you are jabbing and taking a slip to the outside as it makes the SP jab or counter hook harder to land and the cross seems to be outside of range too.

So I took both phylosophies in mind and my jab became harder to counter. I got countered of course but not as often as before :)

Nice, glad to hear it! What is dipping?

Ducking? I do not know, perhaps I use the wrong word. English is not my first language. I used ducking more often. It is a very nice defensive tool and I just realised it.

i definitely started seeing improvements in my game when i started pushing forward, pressing the pace more.
when i first started sparring 3 months ago i was thinking i could stay on the outside using the jab and 1-2 all the time and outbox them, but my reach is on the shorter side for my height and all i was really doing was constantly backing up when they'd come forward and my jabs would mostly be blocked, and i couldn't get any hooks off. and when they'd rush me to get inside i'd keep backing away and getting hit on the inside. and the rounds were generally low action.

Now, over time ive gotten less and less prone to back up to the point where now ive changed my style up completely from what i did when i started and i now move forward getting mid to inside range and try not to give ground, if the sparring partner doesn't back up we end up face to face a nose distance apart and work the hooks/uppercuts at close range until one of us forfeits the skirmish - until someone tries to move around it. Or if we are at mid range ill pushing in and throwing my cross and lead hooks more as well the jab. I can land hooks now. It is a lot of work, the pace is much faster now and i feel a lot more accomplished with this style when the round ends. It's definitely helped me be more relaxed in the ring too and keep my guard up.

Yeah what I do not like about it is that most guys in our group are newer. And I try to push them, but then when we go to a close distance they try to break it and want to break it as they do not feel comfortable. If they do not I have to protect them and make the bad habit of hitting their gloves on purpose. I should try to add more body shots in my arsenal so at least I can practice some nice hooks and uppercuts to the body instead of hitting their gloves.

With this SP friend though we exchange a lot in close distance and I kind of enjoyed it. I ate lots of shots to the body, some of them heavy ones as our original group of 3 who started going to the gym for privates, we agreed on heavy shots to the body, but careful in the head. Anyway It was nice for me realising I need to relax and stop backing off. I could just stand there focus on defense and countering. Then I saw lots of oppenings. Landed some nice left hooks and one really good cross.

The problem with backing up is that I get my guard too high up and I barelly see the opportunities for counter as he swarms me with shots. I do the same to the newer guys, they get their guard up and it is invitation to swarm them with shots.

Congrats man on this victory! It's fun to have these milestones along the way. :)

Congrats man on this victory! It's fun to have these milestones along the way. :)
Haha when you are a boxing hobyst you have small goals like that one. Beat the strongest guy in the gym and etc.

Back