I got picked for C.L.E.E.T. I need a handgun and 12 gauge pump

IceCold ADCC

🔥 20 years on Sherdog and counting 🔥
@purple
Reaction score
Well I got picked for Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training.(aka CLEET). I have a great back ground with military weapons. Everything from the M-16, M-4, M-249 SAW, M203 grenade launcher to the .50 CAL.

But the sad truth is my cillvan weapons experience outside of my 9mm kel-tech and my AR-15 is little to none. Even worse my experience with handguns and shotguns is very limited.

Anyways class starts in 2 weeks and I want to get caught up with all the other hillbilly gun toting crazys in my class so I dont look like a girl. I have to buy a hand gun and 12 gauge pump action. Im balling on a budget so try and take that in to consideration. For the hand gun, I want somthing that dead accurate and reliable . Thats my main thing. It has to be a 9mm, 40 cal, .45, or 357. Preferable models are S&W, COLT, RUGER, GLOCK, SIG, H&K(MODEL USP ONLY) KIMBER, or SPRINGFIELD.

As for the 12 gauge....Well Im at a loss here. I have nearly no exp with them. I think he said it had to be a 18 or 20 inch barrel. I know it has to be a pump action 12 gauge tho.

So if you could reply with your anwser like this.

Hand gun
Cheap good buy:
Most bang for buck:

12G pump
Cheap good buy:
Most bang for buck:

Also any addtional info on hand guns and shot guns would be great. Everything from shooting techniques to what ever may be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you're truly looking for most bang for your buck, Ruger P95 or another in the P series is the way to go. You can get them for like 300 dollars and even less sometimes. They are probably the most underrated models out there. They're every bit as reliable and sturdy as any of the more expensive guns. I used to have a P944 and regret trading it in all the time.

Come on guys. I know alot of you guys are carrying.

Yeah. Little bit of pain never hurt anybody, if you know what I mean. Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, fuck-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.

When I got my Springfield XD it was $450 (after the additional CA processing fees I got charged it was $700...), great gun for the price. They have essential and gear packages with them again now, so that does make it an interesting buy. It looks like they are going for $480-550 right now, it's something to look into.

Not a lot of US guys up at this hour. You'll get more replies in the morning.

Yeah. Little bit of pain never hurt anybody, if you know what I mean. Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, fuck-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.

Screw that, better if everyone just gets one of these

magnifying-glass.jpeg

From my understanding, 1911 single action trigger is about the best you are going to get. Plus, that fucking gun design is 100 years old and is still one of the absolute best.

1911 single action and a match grade barrel. Do not underestimate how much trigger pull effects your accuracy. I love my Glock, but their stock triggers are shit.

My brother shoots competitively and 2011's (which is a 1911) are what most guys use in the classes he shoots in.

Go to a handgun forum. Glock talk and ar15 are two very good ones. They'll set you very, very straight.

And if you want accuracy first, then stay away from polymers like Glock, Springfield XD, etc...

In my opinion for had gun.
1. Start of with the right Caliber i perfer 40 or 357sig. why? well the 40 has more weight in the bullet then the 9mm and is a good comprmise between the large 45 and the smaller 9 and you can carry more ammo then a 45. 357 is a good round for barrier pentratin car windows and things like that.The 357 has a bit snapier kick but it shots at a higher velocity.45 not enough rounds in most firearms 9mm not enough power.(all subjective of course)

2. personally I would say Hk in the lem configuration.Lem is a special form of DAO in were the hammer spring I beleive is pre ****ed everyround that you fire esentially bringing you as close to sao trigger pull but DAO reliability and secondary strike capability. Look at the P30 those are the newest HK. Glock is good but doesnt have a second strike capability nor does it have a safety. Kimber stay the fuck away from that shit brand. Honestly for polymers stay with HK and Glock also stay the fuck away from Sig. There not what they used to be.For 1911 the varients are endless but you need more training on them and the good ones cost 1500 dollars and up.

3. The way you grip and shoot it is up to the way they instruct you in my opinion.

Shotgun

1.remington 870 tactical so many variants all good nothing else needs to be said.

P>S> also go on pistoltraining.com for enough on alot of diffrent handgun tests the guiy shots them intill they brak.( except for the HK45 50000 rounds no jams or stopages a beleive a absolute tank.

Can a mod please move this over to the Weapons and Tactics?? Also can you guys post some prices with these guns aswell.

Can a mod please move this over to the Weapons and Tactics?? Also can you guys post some prices with these guns aswell.

You should name a price range you want to stay in. There can be a difference of hundreds dollars in the brands you posted with the handguns.

Military guy myself.

I own one of these

25047_1.jpg

Honestly the 870 model, maybe not the marine magnum version is probably one of the best most reliable shotgun models out there.

I paid about 500 6 or so years ago for mine. Non marine (special coating) were about 100 dollars cheaper.

Unless you substantially upgrade aka 1014 or a saiga, (both are automatic non pump) the 870 is going to be your best bet.

As for a handgun, we could sit and argue for days about caliber. Me personally if it aint a 45. i dont own it. small bullets are for pussies.

400px-SpringfieldXD45Tactical.jpg

My primary hand gun is a springfield xd tactical. I prefer tacticals but u can really get any version of the xd. the XD itself has won multiple awards and was rated multiple years running as the top pick for law enforcement.

Ruger's not a bad idea, but I would go ahead and spend the extra picking up a Glock 19. It's 9mm mags and parts are everywhere and it's dead dumb simple. Other than the Glock, the XD's have a solid following and I see them decently priced now days. They have an external safety which is nice.

I personally will never own an 870 shotgun. Once you've had one hang up on you like I did then witnessing the exact same hang up in a shotgun training video you'll realize it's more availability and hype than anything. The military buys Mossberg 590's, you can get a 500, or a Maverick 88 (same gun built a bit cheaper but with a far better safety) cheap and they'll serve you well.

I personally will never own an 870 shotgun. Once you've had one hang up on you like I did then witnessing the exact same hang up in a shotgun training video you'll realize it's more availability and hype than anything. The military buys Mossberg 590's, you can get a 500, or a Maverick 88 (same gun built a bit cheaper but with a far better safety) cheap and they'll serve you well.

I've never had any issues with my 870, infact the more you shoot an 870 the less chance it will jam. (action gets smoother, happens to every gun)

If your 870 ever jams its more then likely because your using cheap ammo. Its not clean, maybe your presssing on the forearm when you fire. IDK

But literally your the first person i've heard talk about an 870 being unreliable.

Everyone has their opinion though, thats why i won't even attempt to talk to you knuckle draggers about handgun caliber.

Glock handguns and Remington 870 shotguns are probably the most universally used in law enforcement across the US.
Our patrol cars have 870's but we carry SIG's and I have no complaints.

I am to understand that you are going through the police academy on your own dime?
If so I would go with:
Handgun: (9mm to save a lot of money in ammo plus if you get a LEO job you will likely be issued a department weapon)
Smith and Wesson M&P
Springfield XD
Ruger P95(only if you are absolutely trying to save every penny you can)
Glocks are good but overpriced for today's market (the XD and M&P have similar designs)
Shotguns: (12 ga only)
Remington 870
Mossberg 500

Here are links to what I own (Obviously what I prefer)
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-SW209301FC
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MS50278 (mine does not have the fancy stock)

Last edited:
I've never had any issues with my 870, infact the more you shoot an 870 the less chance it will jam. (action gets smoother, happens to every gun)

If your 870 ever jams its more then likely because your using cheap ammo. Its not clean, maybe your presssing on the forearm when you fire. IDK

But literally your the first person i've heard talk about an 870 being unreliable.

Everyone has their opinion though, thats why i won't even attempt to talk to you knuckle draggers about handgun caliber.

spend some time with them and you'll see EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It has nothing to do with the ammo or the gun being dirty, it's the action. It will hang halfway closed. I've seen this in the 870 Express models and the Wingmaster models which have a much nicer/smoother action. You shouldn't have to "work a gun in" or learn a way to cycle the action to make it reliable. I've seen this issue universally with 870s, keep an eye out for it. The action will cycle fine and jam up halfway closed. The procedure to clear it is to move the pump back and press forward again. I've seen this happen to people in training videos, I've seen it in person, and I've never seen it with the Mossberg shotguns. It's not necessarily an "unreliability" problem, it's just a quirk with the action that I can't stand. The 870s are highly available and from a respected American arms maker which is why you see them so often being used. I just feel there's better options often for less money.

Back