I grew up in a cult

Oh yeah I was born into that stupid shit. Even as a little kid I hated it. Both parents came from JW backgrounds. Especially my biological fathers side. By13 I’d often get beat the hell out of due to refusing to want to go followed by incoherent retarded lectures about how I need to just do it and follow the cults beliefs. It’s so stupid, it’s like there’s some gathering or Kingdom Hall meeting every freaking day, listening to some “elder” whose probably as big of an alcoholic jackass like my biological father was. Eventually by 14 he’d given up forcing me to go and left me alone for the most part except randomly coming home drunk like the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: he is to announce we’re gonna go to an all day assembly for the church.

My grandma from my biological mothers side was a devout JW. Using that as her excuse of why she was so poor and even tried preaching once every blue moons of why everyone should just “do what god says”, but I knew it was just because she fucked jp her own life making dumb decisions and ending up living off her new disabled husbands social security.

I disowned both parents by 19 that’s why I say “biological”. Both are trash.

Some cults are more "culty" than others but growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, I now realize that I grew up in a cult. The JW organization uses fear, shame, and guilt in order to control every aspect of their member's lives. I was "born in" since my mom was a member before my birth. I stopped being an active member about 10 years ago or so but still held the beliefs for some time after. Once I started thinking for myself and realizing the amount of control they exert, I left.

Just a few things about their control. Beards are not allowed. Tattoos are not allowed. Only short hair allowed for men. Going to college is not allowed. Short skirts are not allowed. Associating with non-church members is not allowed. Playing school sports is not allowed. Sex outside of marriage is not allowed. Smoking, drugs, getting drunk is not allowed. Rated R movies and "questionable" music is not allowed. You must go preaching door to door and attend church twice a week. These are just a few of the rules. Violating the rules will result in being counseled or excommunicated, called disfellowshipping by JW's. Disfellowshipping means that you are completely shunned by members including your family. My sister was disfellowshipped so she had to move out and we were not allowed to have any contact with her.

The JW's are under scrutiny for their sexual abuse handlings. JW members are so indoctrinated they go to the church leaders or "elders" without even considering the police. They have a rule called the two witness rule. It's a centuries old biblical rule stating that there had to be two witnesses to an incident to be considered. Well, when there is a sexual abuse it's the victim's word vs. the perpetrator. So when there's an accusation, the elders wont even consider it. There's another old biblical rule saying you have to face your accuser. So they make the victim sit there in a room with the perpetrator to make the accusations. Now, if there is a known child molester they will have him repent, promise not to do it again, and go on like nothing happened. This person should be reported to police and be thrown in prison.

There are many other fucked up things about this religion. These are just a few things off the top of my head. I'm willing to try to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edit: Forgot to add the whole doomsday aspect. JW's believe the second coming of Christ occurred in 1914. They thought that Armageddon was going to come in the 20th century before the generation of people born around 1914 died. They even predicted it coming in 1975. A lot of members sold their houses and ran up credit cards anticipating the end of the world in 1975. A lot of them left the religion in 1976 when Armageddon didn't come. They believe that after Armageddon, 144,000 people will go to heaven while the rest of the faithful will come back to life and live forever on Earth with no sickness or dying or pain.
why 144,000 ??? where did they get that number?

What evidence?

If your talking religion there's surely a great deal of that? philosophy itself has been largely agnostic for over 200 years.

In general though the idea that rationality and morality are not innate to humans is I think highly questionable, I would argue their clearly traits that exist and can be potentially played up or down by the environment and benefit from knowledge.

If your talking religion there's surely a great deal of that? philosophy itself has been largely agnostic for over 200 years.

In general though the idea that rationality and morality are not innate to humans is I think highly questionable, I would argue their clearly traits that exist and can be potentially played up or down by the environment and benefit from knowledge.

So where is the evidence? That is not evidence, history proves that.

History is the only evidence I need, where as you are stating we can be rational and moral without religion, and there is no evidence for that. None.

The only evidence you may go off is how rational we became when communism killed millions .. see how rational we became when man decided he could play at being God or godless.. master of himself.. real rational and moral.

Cults are great. All those babes are looking to bang

LOL.

I remember being around 17/18ish and in pretty good shape (that's long gone) and getting a knock at our front door. Got out of bed in boxers still half asleep and answered door. Now being a young man in his prime although I didn't have full morning wood I wasn't exactly limp...answered the door to 2 people. Now we lived in a bungalow that was close to a river so it was elevated on brick pillars in case the river flooded...so that meant there's stairs to the front door....

The first woman was in her 40's and was about level with my chest but the younger (quite attractive) was lower down the stairs and was roughly in the vicinity of my waist. They both were surprised but the older one did her spiel and I bought a copy of Watchtower from her. I suspect from the way the younger one was staring at me though that they were going to have problems with her in time....she was fascinated by certain parts of my anatomy and I don't mean my mind..

Some cults are more "culty" than others but growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, I now realize that I grew up in a cult. The JW organization uses fear, shame, and guilt in order to control every aspect of their member's lives. I was "born in" since my mom was a member before my birth. I stopped being an active member about 10 years ago or so but still held the beliefs for some time after. Once I started thinking for myself and realizing the amount of control they exert, I left.

Just a few things about their control. Beards are not allowed. Tattoos are not allowed. Only short hair allowed for men. Going to college is not allowed. Short skirts are not allowed. Associating with non-church members is not allowed. Playing school sports is not allowed. Sex outside of marriage is not allowed. Smoking, drugs, getting drunk is not allowed. Rated R movies and "questionable" music is not allowed. You must go preaching door to door and attend church twice a week. These are just a few of the rules. Violating the rules will result in being counseled or excommunicated, called disfellowshipping by JW's. Disfellowshipping means that you are completely shunned by members including your family. My sister was disfellowshipped so she had to move out and we were not allowed to have any contact with her.

The JW's are under scrutiny for their sexual abuse handlings. JW members are so indoctrinated they go to the church leaders or "elders" without even considering the police. They have a rule called the two witness rule. It's a centuries old biblical rule stating that there had to be two witnesses to an incident to be considered. Well, when there is a sexual abuse it's the victim's word vs. the perpetrator. So when there's an accusation, the elders wont even consider it. There's another old biblical rule saying you have to face your accuser. So they make the victim sit there in a room with the perpetrator to make the accusations. Now, if there is a known child molester they will have him repent, promise not to do it again, and go on like nothing happened. This person should be reported to police and be thrown in prison.

There are many other fucked up things about this religion. These are just a few things off the top of my head. I'm willing to try to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edit: Forgot to add the whole doomsday aspect. JW's believe the second coming of Christ occurred in 1914. They thought that Armageddon was going to come in the 20th century before the generation of people born around 1914 died. They even predicted it coming in 1975. A lot of members sold their houses and ran up credit cards anticipating the end of the world in 1975. A lot of them left the religion in 1976 when Armageddon didn't come. They believe that after Armageddon, 144,000 people will go to heaven while the rest of the faithful will come back to life and live forever on Earth with no sickness or dying or pain.

This is bullshit, I grew up as a JW till I was 18 and most of what you say is incorrect. You can go to college, have a beard, drink, and have friends out of the church. Playing sports for school is also allowed.

And for some of the other complaints about fear, shame, no sex before marriage, listening to the pastor, most churches have that same bullshit rules as well

The. JW religion is just like any of the other stupid religions out there in terms of rules and regulations. They're just a bit more strict with their teachings

This is bullshit, I grew up as a JW till I was 18 and most of what you say is incorrect. You can go to college, have a beard, drink, and have friends out of the church. Playing sports for school is also allowed.

And for some of the other complaints about fear, shame, no sex before marriage, listening to the pastor, most churches have that same bullshit rules as well

The. JW religion is just like any of the other stupid religions out there in terms of rules and regulations. They're just a bit more strict with their teachings
Heathen scum, you will burn in hell for your transgressions against Jehovah!

why do only 144,000 people get into heaven? whats that number all about... seems random

LOL.

I remember being around 17/18ish and in pretty good shape (that's long gone) and getting a knock at our front door. Got out of bed in boxers still half asleep and answered door. Now being a young man in his prime although I didn't have full morning wood I wasn't exactly limp...answered the door to 2 people. Now we lived in a bungalow that was close to a river so it was elevated on brick pillars in case the river flooded...so that meant there's stairs to the front door....

The first woman was in her 40's and was about level with my chest but the younger (quite attractive) was lower down the stairs and was roughly in the vicinity of my waist. They both were surprised but the older one did her spiel and I bought a copy of Watchtower from her. I suspect from the way the younger one was staring at me though that they were going to have problems with her in time....she was fascinated by certain parts of my anatomy and I don't mean my mind..

I'm not even following this story but it sounds great that you showed your chub off to some door to door people. I applaud that

why do only 144,000 people get into heaven? whats that number all about... seems random

they differentiate between heaven and paradise (all the good people go to paradise but only a select few join jesus in heaven), the number is taken from a bible excerpt. JW take the bible a bit too literal. That's why they don't accept blood transfusion, etc...

At least that's my understanding of it, fuck if I remember.

I dont know what congregation you went to but if I was in that one I may still be in. I said in my original post that violating rules would get you counseled or excommunicated. The things you listed would not get you excommunicated but they would get you counseled, ostracized, and cause you to lose "privileges". I went to college and was looked down upon and talked to about it. The elders are janitors and window cleaners on power trips. A girl I started to date called the elders in my congregation to get an update on my "standing" and one told her that I was spiritually weak and would not be good to get involved with because I went to college. They have spoken against these things from the platform as well as in print.

College for example:
w08-sep1-education.jpg

Is there anything you miss about belonging to a religious organisation (assuming you don't belong to one now) ? Is there anything you definitely don't miss ?

The camaraderie was nice. Since associating with "worldly" people was highly discouraged there was a closeness among the JW's. But, along with the closeness was extreme gossiping. What I definitely do not miss was all of the guilt, shame, and fear tactics they use to control members.

did you get baptized?

Yes, I was baptized at 13

Interesting stuff. Why the whole end if the world and second coming? They didn't prioritze it until later on. Weird that they got all into that. It's a weird religion for sure. They've had trouble since all their nonsense is online like the Mormons , it's hard to defend your faith when theirs so much whacky about it

Back