I grew up in a cult

From what I know, the followers of this religion is known for going door to door knocking on your house and giving you leaflets to read.

And inviting you join them, that makes me go shiver.

I'm a devout Catholic, so I say no to these guys.

I went to college with multiple Jehovahs witnesses.

It sounds like Jehovah Witnesses are Amish, but without being farmers and pretending like technology doesn’t exist.

I don’t know, I really don’t know much about the Amish other than what Weird Al told me, and from what I’ve seen in movies like Kingpin, For Richer or Poorer, and Witness.

That last part is a good reason not to talk about them.

Sounds like a cult to me. Not as dangerous a cult as the NRA for example but a cult nonetheless.

I work with one. He's a pretty cool guy but everyone says if you go to his house to help do electrical work or something he all does is try to convert you. Never heard of the no college thing

I grew up as a JW. Where I went, college amd sports were frowned upon since they “Distracted you from god” (but I still did sports). It depends what church you go to, I’ve known some younger JWs that went to college. But yes generally it is frowned upon with these people.

I feel your pain TS. It took me years to get over my anger and bitterness from my time with them. Luckily I got out at 18 so they didn’t get a chance to fuck me up as an adult.

Every cult member thinks the other guy is a cult. Lol

Last edited:
To qualify as a cult there needs to be large aspects of mandatory isolation and idolization of one living figure.

Jehovah's witnesses sound just like any other religion, but not a cult.

All religions are cults, the only difference to classify as a cult is the number of followers. Cults typically have less followere but they all believe in bat-shit crazy stuff. Virgin births, ascending to heaven on a winged beast, a 600 year old man building a boat, worship different saints for different problems, child molestation at a global pandemic, holy wars, etc..

I know a JW. He drinks and hangs out with people who aren’t JWs. But a lot of their shit is very cultish. Like not being able to accept blood transfusions. It’s kind of Oddly specific.

What?? Lol. Ritualistic fear tactics are used in all religions. Religions are about power and control, based on nonsensical fairy tales. What you eat, how you dress, what you do on certain days, with the threat of hell if you don’t follow.....where is the choice? Now some are looser in enforcement but all have same premise....control
You truly do not understand religion (or at least Christianity) at all. Like, not even a little bit. I know it’s cool on here to dump on religion, so I expect that.

is being annoying one of their rules? cause they're great at it.

those cats are hilarious

everytime them or a Mormon knocks on my door (happens quite a lot actually) I just answer w/ a blunt in hand....

works everytime

Wow the cult you grew up in is pretty ghey. How can I join?

Is it true JW's cannot drink soda or wear jeans? or is that the mormons?

I work with one. He's a pretty cool guy but everyone says if you go to his house to help do electrical work or something he all does is try to convert you. Never heard of the no college thing

Some of the nicest people I have ever met were JW trying to convert me. I remember eating in a mall food court, and these two well dressed younger guys kept on looking at me (I thought I may have known them from school). They sat down and gave me their hard sell, but to their credit, they sat and answered all of my questions about their religion, and were very respectful given that I am an ardent agnostic who was extremely critical at times(spiritual, but dislike most forms of organized religion).

My take away was that they were well intentioned people who genuinely believed conversion was the only path to salvation. They also do alot of volunteer work for the elderly in the community (delivering groceries, minor repairs etc.). If only all religious nut jobs would be so considerate when attempting to convert others.

Some of the nicest people I have ever met were JW trying to convert me. I remember eating in a mall food court, and these two well dressed younger guys kept on looking at me (I thought I may have known them from school). They sat down and gave me their hard sell, but to their credit, they sat and answered all of my questions about their religion, and were very respectful given that I am an ardent agnostic who was extremely critical at times(spiritual, but dislike most forms of organized religion).

My take away was that they were well intentioned people who genuinely believed conversion was the only path to salvation. They also do alot of volunteer work for the elderly in the community (delivering groceries, minor repairs etc.). If only all religious nut jobs would be so considerate when attempting to convert others.
I had two Mormon missionaries knock on my door a little while back. As I was closing the door in their face, they yelled "we just need a bicycle pump!". They had locked their bikes to a road sign across the street and had two flat tiresm. Turns out someone slashed their tires. I ended up having to patch one tube and give them a new one. Not one word about religion from them. They werent very thankful like you'd think. I think they thought I was the one who slashed their tires

You truly do not understand religion (or at least Christianity) at all. Like, not even a little bit. I know it’s cool on here to dump on religion, so I expect that.

Lmao....I went to Catholic High School, and college. Took 5 years of theology. I dump on religion not because it’s cool. I do so because I believe it divides people, causes Wars, and is discriminatory. Some of them are out right scams created to rule and control. I believe in God, I’m no atheist. But the hierarchy and structure of religions have corrupted them.

As far as Christianity goes, how do you go from the teachings of Jesus to what the church does?

Were you ?
No. It was probably the crazy Chinese lady across the street. It happened right in front of her house. She always yells at people who try to park in reont of her house

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back