I hate audience manipulation in entertainment

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stuff like only showing one side of a conversation, or having the character see something we can't see. This is especially prevalent in mystery stories, which actually makes them lamer because it's not actually a mystery, it's just hiding it from US.

THE WORST though is unannounced time shifts. Just screw you. You don't even give clues to what is going on and you just completely change the time period and sequence of events!

What else drives you nuts like this?

Well.. it's part of the game to craft an enjoyable experience for the audience. You ever wonder why comedians ask "how you guys doing tonight?" before they start their set? It's to get you applauding before we even tell a joke.

Dude it's a mystery, if they showed everything where the hell would the mystery be?

Well.. it's part of the game to craft an enjoyable experience for the audience. You ever wonder why comedians ask "how you guys doing tonight?" before they start their set? It's to get you applauding before we even tell a joke.

Dude it's a mystery, if they showed everything where the hell would the mystery be?

In a mysterious situation. I want to discover the mystery with the character, not have them realize what is going on this get shown later.

Take Westwood season 1 for example...literally the whole season was predicated on hiding what most characters on the show knew going in.

It’s a form of storytelling. I’ll leave it up to the writers and directors to choose how they want to create.

It’s a form of storytelling. I’ll leave it up to the writers and directors to choose how they want to create.

I want them to tell it well. Get it right, get it tight.

Hitchcock didn't stoop to suck weak shit.

4.5 beers plus 2 at dinner.

CxG2.gif

I agree it's pretty lazy. What REALLY bothers me is murder mysteries where one of the characters is the murderer, and they show that person acting scared of the killer while they are alone. That doesn't make any fucking sense, other than to keep the audience guessing with nonsense. This is the example that STILL pisses me off

81-sLQMiNQL._SY445_.jpg

Movies about several couples camping, and one couple is a pair of serial killers. They show that couple alone several times throughout the movie, questioning which of the other characters are the killers. Like.... did they forget they were the murderers? So LAZY.

Back