I hate SouthPaws

I am a south paw guy... I love seeing orthodox people be confused when sparring with me. I love it when I see them try to figure me out, and then all of a sudden switching to southpaw midway. By then, I am even more comfortable sparring against me in the same lead. It's fun. Then they're like "Fuck this guy can fight me in both my stances" Hahahaha
{<huh}

I'm slightly joking. It's not always like that.

What I meant to say was, sparring orthodox people sometimes was in my advantage because those particular people happened to be only adjusted to sparring against other orthodox guys. A handful of them have commented saying they hate sparring southpaw. I noticed a pattern in a couple of these people that they would start off orthodox and then try to fight me southpaw. They do it to match leads and try to understand it or something, but when they do that the advantage is sometimes still mine as I am more used to fighting people in matching leads, whereas they were not, they were orthodox people trying to figure out southpaw. I hope that makes sense, but not trying to be cocky or anything.

So was sparring against my friend who is SP yesterday. The dude has been consistently training the past 2 years, while I have not really.

This is what happens. He has learned a couple of things to do well.

First the jab war - he was just able to out jab me from that side and often was pushing my hand down or countering my jab with his. I was successful in a couple of occasions to come around with a hook. But he couht me with few good jabs.
- Looking for advice here on how to win the jab war with a SP.

Second winning the footwork war. No matter what I tried (even stepping on his feet) he got that angle way more often than me.
- Can someone give more advice here what do I do to win the foot positioning war more often

Lastly I was in a position where he has the angle. I got rocked once with his cross, and in the next attack he hit me in the solar with a good body hook with his rear hand. I eventually figured him out and was able to catch his rear hand. In few cases I even countered him - once when blocking his cross, I immediately send mine. Once when blocking his body hook I immediately send an uppercut. However he also figured out I am able to see his rear hand and started adding right hooks after the jabs and mix up his rear cross and right hook in a good way. By the end I was in a panic mode, hands up, sending some jabs and trying few combos and pressing in order to not let him attack.
- So what do you do once you lose the angle war? How do you defend properly? Looking for advice here.

And lastly ... I try to do a body jab and go up for a cross. The asshole pivots and sends his cross while I am going up and catches me, cuts my lip and almost dislocates my jaw. This shit has never happen against an ortodox partner, but this SP friend finds an angle outside my body jab.
Im a southpaw for the most part. Mostly i think you just have to spar that guy more. Its just something you don't have much experience dealing with. Look for his liver though, southpaws lead with there liver in the front.

@Ilk

You can also if you jab with him hdie behind your shoulder take a step on the inside of your lead foot and beat him to the jab from an inside angle instead of trying to jab over his jab. And you can do the same with a lead hook.

I think I remember an interview or fight commentary from George Foreman. He basically said fighters think too much about the foot position jsut forget about it and hti the other guy. In the end if his footwork is that much better don't try to make it a war of footwork and be slick.

As long as your lead foot points right at the opponent you can hit him so do it. If he takes an outside angle just accept it and work from an inside angle if the he takes an inside angle work from an outside angle.

The only thing that is 100% important is that you face the opponent as long as you do just forget about the angles.

I really think some people think too much when sparring a southpaw and thus block their own boxing by overthinking. Salido beat Lomachenko. Even that green version of Loma has 100 times the footwork of Salido and he was younger fresher and more athletic. Yet Salido won a close fight and I doubt Salido spent much time thinking about footpositioning he wouldn't have won a tactical boxing match anyway. And you are not sparring Lomachenko you are sparring some guy who apparently has been a hobby boxer for 2 years.

Maybe he is also just better overall than you then get better but you are overthinking it (most likely)

i use to hate southpaws in boxing but learnt to keep my left hand up and throw tons of arm punch right hands at there face doubling up on them too southpaws hook comes over your jab easily if you dont stiff it up i never throw lazy jabs every jab i throw has to be hard and stiff

We sparred today again 3 rounds. He kept pushing forward for 2 rounds, but this time I defended well. As we were only 2 in the work out today the coach gave me some solid advice to add more crosses right after his jab or lead hook and add a lot more of 2-1-2s. By the end of round 3 he gassed and I pushed forward and landed some shots. Still a lot to work on though.

I tried to hook over his jab by blocking his jab with my right hand but he kept jabbing way left toward my left hand, so it did not work out well.
However my cross was better.
I tried a few times to close the distance with high guard and push forward after his jab, waiting for his rear hand and it got me mixed results. I usually blocked the jabs and the rear but could not land clean when closing the distance.
Added a lot more lateral work both sides and I have to say this played a major role in a better defence.

The lead foot angle. You best know that when fighting a SP as an Ortodox you need to win the lead foot angle.

That's a myth. You don't need a SINGLE angle, you just need better positions. The mantra of always being outside their lead foot only works if they have no idea what to do about it. And sure, the majority of modern Southpaw don't. However, you don't train to fight the worst scenarios for the other guy, you train to fight the smartest ones out there:

If you only ever try to go one way, I will always know what way you're going to go. Predictability

That's a myth. You don't need a SINGLE angle, you just need better positions. The mantra of always being outside their lead foot only works if they have no idea what to do about it. And sure, the majority of modern Southpaw don't. However, you don't train to fight the worst scenarios for the other guy, you train to fight the smartest ones out there:

If you only ever try to go one way, I will always know what way you're going to go. Predictability

Thanks a lot. I guess they teach newbies like us about it. That head position explanation is very helpful. Appreciated your contribution a lot :)

my brother is a southpaw and one of my best friends was a paw-paw (right handed southpaw). so i learnt to fight against southpaws. this is just what works for me and some won't agree, but abandon the jab. catch his jab and counter with a straight right. if you land the right every time he jabs he will soon get discouraged. the right hand and left hook are your best weapons against southpaws. once you are able to catch the jab and counter with the right (from the outside angle) everything else opens up. mix up the right to the body with a left hook to the head and vice versa. taking the inside angle isn't really one of my strengths, but sinister is a big advocate. it allows you to use the jab more effectively and hook inside their lead.

its funny i love fighting mma "strikers" because every camp says same thing.. circle away from his power hand!! which to me is stupid your going the same direction everytime and they r gonna run into my left hook all day then

its funny i love fighting mma "strikers" because every camp says same thing.. circle away from his power hand!! which to me is stupid your going the same direction everytime and they r gonna run into my left hook all day then

For some reason the quotes made me laugh <45>i find the same thing though. Mma striking and pure stand up are very different even without the takedowns. I think it may come in the subtletys in it

So was sparring against my friend who is SP yesterday. The dude has been consistently training the past 2 years, while I have not really.

This is what happens. He has learned a couple of things to do well.

First the jab war - he was just able to out jab me from that side and often was pushing my hand down or countering my jab with his. I was successful in a couple of occasions to come around with a hook. But he couht me with few good jabs.
- Looking for advice here on how to win the jab war with a SP.

Second winning the footwork war. No matter what I tried (even stepping on his feet) he got that angle way more often than me.
- Can someone give more advice here what do I do to win the foot positioning war more often

Lastly I was in a position where he has the angle. I got rocked once with his cross, and in the next attack he hit me in the solar with a good body hook with his rear hand. I eventually figured him out and was able to catch his rear hand. In few cases I even countered him - once when blocking his cross, I immediately send mine. Once when blocking his body hook I immediately send an uppercut. However he also figured out I am able to see his rear hand and started adding right hooks after the jabs and mix up his rear cross and right hook in a good way. By the end I was in a panic mode, hands up, sending some jabs and trying few combos and pressing in order to not let him attack.
- So what do you do once you lose the angle war? How do you defend properly? Looking for advice here.

And lastly ... I try to do a body jab and go up for a cross. The asshole pivots and sends his cross while I am going up and catches me, cuts my lip and almost dislocates my jaw. This shit has never happen against an ortodox partner, but this SP friend finds an angle outside my body jab.

I think that just as much as being a southpaw is posing a problem for you, so is the fact that he has been training harder for two years.

Like one guys said, what works for a southie, works for an orthodox. When in doubt, chuck the straight right and then dip out.

I wrote a breakdown on this a few months ago:

The first thing to understand about fighting in the open guard is understanding the footwork.

You will often be advised to circle away from your opponent’s lead hand. In an open guard match, this means that the orthodox fighter needs to circle in the direction opposite of his normal movement. This prevents his opponent from circling headlong into the southpaw’s left hand and left body kick.

Stepping outside of the opponent’s lead leg to throw a rear straight is the best way to counter your opponents jab. When you step to the outside, you set in motion two actions:

1. You bring your rear shoulder directly in front of your opponent’s face
  2. It shortens the path that the hand needs to take in order to find the chin
This also brings your opponent’s body closer to your rear leg. This means that your kick will meet your opponent’s gut in the middle of its arc. While a step in before a body kick is not necessary, it is certainly beneficial if you’re looking to pack more power into that kick.

Knowing when to step to the power side or step straight forward is mandatory for winning a fight in open guard. If you constantly step towards a southpaw’s right side, eventually he’ll use the opportunity to slam your spleen with switch kicks. Alternatively, he’ll let you step outside his lead foot and use that inside angle to land a lead hook.

121.jpg

(TL) Kaew Fairtex takes a deep step past his opponent’s lead leg and into his blind side. (TR) This angle is only available in open stance match ups. (BL) He uses this moment to catch his opponent with a left kick as they turn. (BR) He then resets ready to exchange again.

Alternate Angles
Let’s elaborate on the inside angle. When a southpaw is looking to land a lead hook and wants to take an angle to do so, he has two ways of going about it:

1. Take an outside angle, pivot around, and throw a hook from the opponent’s blind spot
  2. Step inside the opponent’s lead foot
The latter options brings the lead hand directly in front of the centreline, allowing the jab or lead hook to easily land without having to worry about a counter right. In boxing, this was how Miguel Cotto decked Sergio Martinez multiple times.

When your opponent steps outside your lead foot in punching range, he will always give up a potential inside angle to do so. This means that if you time it right, you can step straight in with a hook or jab.

The rest is here:
http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/dismantle-the-sneaky-southpaw.html

For some reason the quotes made me laugh <45>i find the same thing though. Mma striking and pure stand up are very different even without the takedowns. I think it may come in the subtletys in it

well i say mma striking cause alot of the coaches at gyms dont have great credentials but 99% of guys try tot ell everyone to circle away from power hand depending on stance which is funny and you cant convince hem otherwise but i love fighting a guy that i know if only gonna move to my left cause my left hook is my best punch and i love to step towards my right t make him walk right into my left hook

Is this strictly boxing or kickboxing as well? - I'm a southpaw and spar with former UFC fighters weekly, I usually get caught a lot by the left overhand, straight right cross and left outside low kick. But other than that my advise to you is to just bite down on your mouthpiece and slug it out if the SP is giving you to much trouble from the outside. That's the way I get beat up in the gym lol. But being a southpaw is awesome I confuse everybody the first couple of rounds I spar them.

Is this strictly boxing or kickboxing as well? - I'm a southpaw and spar with former UFC fighters weekly, I usually get caught a lot by the left overhand, straight right cross and left outside low kick. But other than that my advise to you is to just bite down on your mouthpiece and slug it out if the SP is giving you to much trouble from the outside. That's the way I get beat up in the gym lol. But being a southpaw is awesome I confuse everybody the first couple of rounds I spar them.

<{JustBleed}>:meow:{<Mcgoat}<{JustBleed}>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back