I hate SouthPaws

If it makes you feel better, as someone who primarily fights southpaw, I hate fighting other southpaws too.

Is this strictly boxing or kickboxing as well? - I'm a southpaw and spar with former UFC fighters weekly, I usually get caught a lot by the left overhand, straight right cross and left outside low kick. But other than that my advise to you is to just bite down on your mouthpiece and slug it out if the SP is giving you to much trouble from the outside. That's the way I get beat up in the gym lol. But being a southpaw is awesome I confuse everybody the first couple of rounds I spar them.

Strictly boxing. Well I get a beat down in Thursday again from the same SP. And in the end this is what I did - got in and swingged. Other people also recommended the left over hand hookish and I cough him once with a good hook.

I am looking more into a head movement now. Head movement and footwork and to improve on this aspect. I am noticing bad patterns such as moving only backwards and etc. Honestly the moment I went inside, while having no experience or knowledge how to in fight and started swinging I started giving him troubles. So I tough as long as I add some nice head movement with footwork going in I should do way better.

Are you not actually being taught any of these things you need to add?

Are you not actually being taught any of these things you need to add?

I have been but, it is kind of not habitual and I spar with barely any head movement and footwork. I of course have some simple stuff in my attacking repertoire such as jab-duck-jab, jab-slip outside - hook or uppercut, jab - slip inside - cross and I often use these. But it is a conscious movement. We practice these a lot on the pads. Especially the jab-slip-left uppercut, and the jab-slip-cross.

However there is a great difference in me on how I do on pads and on spar. With what power I hit the bag, the pads and then on spar and etc. Spar is just different :)

That's because when you're doing pads no one is ACTUALLY trying to hurt you. If you understand slips and rolls and whatnot, you need to trust them and just give them a shot, because it sounds like you don't. There's a missing step between the pad work and the sparring where the moves aren't translating, but that's pretty common nowadays.

That's because when you're doing pads no one is ACTUALLY trying to hurt you. If you understand slips and rolls and whatnot, you need to trust them and just give them a shot, because it sounds like you don't. There's a missing step between the pad work and the sparring where the moves aren't translating, but that's pretty common nowadays.
what do you think makes this transition difficult for some fighters, these days? could it be excessive pad work with insufficient sparing, or not enough defensive drills for fighters to be comfortable using the techniques sparring?

what do you think makes this transition difficult for some fighters, these days? could it be excessive pad work with insufficient sparing, or not enough defensive drills for fighters to be comfortable using the techniques sparring?

Im interested as well. I think it maybe unrealistically hitting pads, like just smashing upon smashing. Pretty rare you will get to unload like that without taking an angle or moving somehow.

Forget where i hear this but most prospects (at least in mma) lack ingrained defense that usually comes later. Maybe from more padwork than actual experience?

Im interested as well. I think it maybe unrealistically hitting pads, like just smashing upon smashing. Pretty rare you will get to unload like that without taking an angle or moving somehow.

Forget where i hear this but most prospects (at least in mma) lack ingrained defense that usually comes later. Maybe from more padwork than actual experience?
this is kinda my thoughts as well. too much pad work with inexperienced holders is a pet hate of mine. you can usually tell when someone has done to much pad work and not enough sparring, they expect their opponents to stay there to be hit and throw a lot of air combinations.

Last edited:
drilling imo

Also lame pad work, I see alot of times when padwork just becomes almost like a repetition exercise like hammering out pushups. Its not dynamic, yes there should be a combo the hitter (for a lack of better work) needs to do, but for the most part it should be "freestyled" with the holder making the hitter work on their movement, ring cuts, etc. Really drills and padwork should end up being similar to sparring in some way.

drilling imo

Also lame pad work, I see alot of times when padwork just becomes almost like a repetition exercise like hammering out pushups. Its not dynamic, yes there should be a combo the hitter (for a lack of better work) needs to do, but for the most part it should be "freestyled" with the holder making the hitter work on their movement, ring cuts, etc. Really drills and padwork should end up being similar to sparring in some way.
that's basically how i learnt as a kid. with a old dude dancing round slapping me with the pads on, still to this day some of the best boxing training i have done.

that's basically how i learnt as a kid. with a old dude dancing round slapping me with the pads on, still to this day some of the best boxing training i have done.

For me it was Kru Ali. Man would throw in knuckle push ups on wooden boards and holding a pole infront of you then jumping over it for cooldowns. I think theres something to getting a coach thats intense as a kid haha. My buddy almost went to the olympics for judo and he told me he had to stop going to the place because the guy would make them get stung by bees and go outside in winter without shirts on...kinda weird now that i type it out...

Drills are the answer:

I just taught some drills to some fighters from Norway over the last 4 days, now they're obsessed with them. They said back home they do group warm-up, shadowboxing (alone, never partnered), bag work, sparring, and occasional mitt work. But bag work and sparring are all "go go go, kill kill kill."

So they had no real system of defense, or how to move to a BETTER position instead of just running:

You guys always deliver. Now I see where I fail in my work out. We do not drill. I have not been drilling for the past 1 year or even more and my last drilling has been kick boxing.

Strictly boxing. Well I get a beat down in Thursday again from the same SP. And in the end this is what I did - got in and swingged. Other people also recommended the left over hand hookish and I cough him once with a good hook.

I am looking more into a head movement now. Head movement and footwork and to improve on this aspect. I am noticing bad patterns such as moving only backwards and etc. Honestly the moment I went inside, while having no experience or knowledge how to in fight and started swinging I started giving him troubles. So I tough as long as I add some nice head movement with footwork going in I should do way better.
Good stuff dude, every time the dude is giving you too much trouble do what you just did and give him hell, and don't let him dictate where the fight takes places, you put the pressure on him and make him feel your presence in the sparring session.!

southpaws are tricky to begin with...add to it the fact that he has been training consistently and you haven’t. makes for a bad time.

wherever his lead foot is, make sure your lead foot is outside of his.

Love fighting southpaws, circle to their right keep your left foot outside their right and eat them up with that left hook to the body. Hit them with that straight right. Parry their jab and counter with the straight right or left over hook.

Back