I have a bad feeling Chael will outsmart Fedor

I actually don't see how chael wins this one and I'm not even a fedor fan.

Fedor just cant take a shot anymore.

Maldanado isnt a power puncher at all and had him badly hurt. His recovery was terrible in that fight.

So i do think Chael could hurt Fedor standing
Lmao what ? He pretty much got flashed KOd and came back to make a respectable fight of it . Hiw recovery was the best part of his performance

1. Fedor isnt much bigger than Sonnen if at all like morons in this thread are suggesting

2. Even if Fedor was bigger, I dont think it would help him much in the grappling department. If you have trained you understand. Sonnens wrestling is more important than his size disparity.

3. Fedor is 13 years past his prime and his chin is probably 75% deteriorated from what it was in his prime. He has been floored by punches in his last 3 fights. Its not silly to think Sonnen, a 200lb athlete on steroids would be able to at least hurt Fedor.

I think Fedor can win this fight if hes sharp and prepared to wrestle, scramble and avoid sneaky submissions. Sonnen is the kind of guy you don't want to be reckless against. This is a match up which could really make Fedor pay for his sloppiness so I hope hes sharp.

I think if Fedor doesnt rush things and makes it out of the first 3 minutes, Sonnen will gas and get more and more discouraged and will turn over to his side in fetal position like he always does when things dont go his way, waiting for the ref to come in and save him.

Hopefully, Fedor comes in sharp and gets the TKO but I don't think it will be easy. Lots of fools still acting like its still 2005.
Fedor getting "floored" by Mir is laughable

After Chael gets hit, he will look for a way out. He’s a great hammer, suspect nail.

I don't know. They're shadows of themselves. Chael in general is a lot less effective fighter at weight classes above 185 so that could be a difference maker.

All of Fedor's losses are only to top level HWs.
000000000.gif

My only concern is Fedor being wild and Chael landing a picture-perfect punch that puts Fedor out. Weight difference or not, the right punch will put anyone out.

On paper though, Sonnen is prime for a classic Fedor arm bar. I do worry that Fedor will try to immediately get up rather than use his fight IQ, bide his time and hit an arm bar like he did on so many.

Fedor fought Henderson at catchweight. And he was still A FORCE at LHW.

I generally agree with the points you were making both about Fedor and this fight, but it simply isn't true that "all of Fedor's losses were only to top Hws". Chael is no Dan Henderson, but Dan isn't all that much bigger than Chael, if at all.

Fedor is badly deteriorated, but he hasn’t completely abandoned a disciplinary lifestyle like Rampage did, so I don’t expect Chael to just completely shut him out one sidedly.

On paper it’s a bad style matchup for Sonnen, but I like his fight IQ and is less worn and I think he’ll use diversionary tactics to throw Fedor off his game as much as possible.

I’d say Chael has about two rounds to secure some kind of a stoppage, before Fedor’s determination pushes Chael into deep waters and possibly force him to abandon his offense in favor of survival.

I’m leaning toward Fedor on this. I think he wants this win really bad and will survive some scary moments to secure a referee stoppage. Sonnen is more content on being an on-air personality and won’t have a problem taking the exit sign if it’s offered.

Everybody here believes Chael stands no chance against Fedor. At first this was what I thought too.

In reality, Chael has a very solid chance to outsmart Fedor and to neutralize him by lay and parying him for 3 rounds. I don't see Fedor pulling a submission off of his back - firstly, because this is not the Fedor of old, and secondly, because Fedor will be fighting a guy whose bread and butter is taking and holding people down.

Chael is not retarded and will totally refuse to stand and bang with Fedor. He will be shooting takedown after takedown, just like he did with dangerous strikers like Silva, Rampage and the others. I see him taking down Fedor with ease and then holding him down for whole eternity.
Would not be surprised if Chael Sonnen wins by boring, but important UD.

What do you people say? Will Sonnen get KTFO-ed by Fedor or will he pull a sneaky lay-and-pray based game plan to outsmart The Last Emperor?
Chael's glaring weakness is submission defense. If lay-and-pray is Chael's gameplan, Fedor's going to take that arm home.

The problem is Fedor’s armbar set ups require Chael to post on one arm, which is something he has corrected as of late I believe.

Fedor also loved to hook the leg during armbars, which is good because if he can’t get an armbar, I do believe he will be able to at least get a sweep and get back up.

What fedor needs to work on besides his tdd is he lateral circling. He can’t stay immobile like with the mitrione and mir fights, he needs to know that by circling he improves the possibilities of successfully stuffing takedowns. His hips aren’t as explosive as they once were, so maybe fighting with his weight on his back foot to anticipate shots is the smart way to go. I don’t wanna see him try to time knees and uppercuts, just circle out and sprawl when needed, apply striking pressure when possible and frustrate Chael. Expect back to back takedowns from him as well.

TS, if Sonnen sells Fedor some real estate & loses the fight painlessly then I think he will have outsmarted him.

He will lay and pray if Fedor doesn't stop the takedowns.

My only concern is Fedor being wild and Chael landing a picture-perfect punch that puts Fedor out. Weight difference or not, the right punch will put anyone out.

On paper though, Sonnen is prime for a classic Fedor arm bar. I do worry that Fedor will try to immediately get up rather than use his fight IQ, bide his time and hit an arm bar like he did on so many.
I think as fedor doesn't have to worry about punching power
He will be wild and could Be dangerous
Or he will zulu him

1. Fedor isnt much bigger than Sonnen if at all like morons in this thread are suggesting

2. Even if Fedor was bigger, I dont think it would help him much in the grappling department. If you have trained you understand. Sonnens wrestling is more important than his size disparity.

3. Fedor is 13 years past his prime and his chin is probably 75% deteriorated from what it was in his prime. He has been floored by punches in his last 3 fights. Its not silly to think Sonnen, a 200lb athlete on steroids would be able to at least hurt Fedor.

I think Fedor can win this fight if hes sharp and prepared to wrestle, scramble and avoid sneaky submissions. Sonnen is the kind of guy you don't want to be reckless against. This is a match up which could really make Fedor pay for his sloppiness so I hope hes sharp.

I think if Fedor doesnt rush things and makes it out of the first 3 minutes, Sonnen will gas and get more and more discouraged and will turn over to his side in fetal position like he always does when things dont go his way, waiting for the ref to come in and save him.

Hopefully, Fedor comes in sharp and gets the TKO but I don't think it will be easy. Lots of fools still acting like its still 2005.
Sonnen is good at mw and overpowering them
Anyone he fights higher he gets ragdolled

Sonnen is good at mw and overpowering them
Anyone he fights higher he gets ragdolled

He had no problem taking 250lb Rampage down. Say what you want but Rampage can wrestle defensively even at his current state.

Back