Social I have been married for a year and a half...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful, you don't want to start picking which beliefs and which faiths are real or not. That is a losing proposition for a lot of the so called faithful.

The govt already chooses which faiths are recognized. If you start declaring this is my deeply held religious belief then I think the onus is on you to show that your beliefs aren't just something you made up.

The govt already chooses which faiths are recognized. If you start declaring this is my deeply held religious belief then I think the onus is on you to show that your beliefs aren't just something you made up.

As it has been said, someone at some point made up each religion. Right now government get a say at which religious institutions get tax free status, but not which has valid beliefs. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a prime example of this.

All faiths are made up, but I didn't have to make one up for either of those positions. I didn't even have to leave the realm of your religion: Christian anarchists oppose taxes because they view God (not government) as the only valid source of authority.
And one could justify not hiring women for leadership positions with Paul's "I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet."

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.

Even if 1 were to hold out Timothy as credible from Paul (some don't) - that only applies to church. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

By what method can a court determine that a faith is valid or invalid? A judge cannot read minds. If a judge can declare that my beliefs about taxes/women are phony baloney, then he can do the same to a Christian who opposes homosexuality.

The IRS grants tax status and groups have gone to court over it - so I guess I'm asking if you can point to a religion that has those tenets which receives recognition by the IRS.

Last edited:
do you think kids of the past didn't have depression, anxiety, etc?

is teens going to college instead of having babies a bad thing?

Do I think they had it? Sure, some did. Is today a mere case of identifying the issue better, over diagnosis, or children developing issues from the change in the traditional roles of mothers? Probably a combination of the 3.

I didn't say that girls going to college was a bad thing, just that it leads to less teens having kids. Although I do believe that women having careers and creating latch-key kids isn't ideal. [My wife worked until the kids were born and took a part-time job after they started school - but that isn't an option for everyone.]

As it has been said, someone at some point made up each religion. Right now government get a say at which religious institutions get tax free status, but not which has valid beliefs. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a prime example of this.

I dislike the term made up, but ehh.

Can you show a religion that has both the tax status and those beliefs?

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.

Even if 1 were to hold out Timothy as credible from Paul (some don't) - that only applies to church. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Christian anarchists view the Caesar quote as an instruction to remove themselves from material things. Pro-patriarchy Christians can view the Paul quote as being generally applicable.

But it really doesn't matter. Christians of different denominations disagree about a wide range of topics. A court isn't going to listen to a theological debate where Type A Christians try to disprove the interpretation of Type B Christians and get Type B Christian Beliefs declared legally invalid in some way.

The IRS grants tax status and groups have gone to court over it - so I guess I'm asking if you can point to a religion that has those tenets which receives recognition by the IRS.

This issue isn't related to tax law. The couple in Idaho can be Christians who don't attend any church whatsoever.

Additionally, churches get non-profit 501c status by default. They don't even have to fill out a form for the IRS. So, basically I could declare myself a part of The Church of The Box right now.

I dislike the term made up, but ehh.

Can you show a religion that has both the tax status and those beliefs?

What beliefs?

What would be the point of me showing that. My point is that tax status and a religions beliefs are different issues.

Heck if you are talking about discriminations against women, well Christianity can be used to justify that.

Yes, you are doing it right now.

Maybe . . . I could say the same for you and others on the opposite side of the discussion.

Regardless of there "roles" women will become mothers and men, fathers. However there is nothing wrong with a kid growing up with a mother that knows how to work on cars or a father that knows how to sew new buttons on a suit.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I took a Home Economics class in High School. Not to learn the things I did, but to have another class with my girlfriend. :)

And I could sew a mean vest . . .

As far as the siutations you are talking about, well those come about in regular life as boys and girls are together in schools and other activities all the time as it is. If anything we should deal with those situations and tell the people who freak out about small things to sit down and shut up.

So folks are to just sit down and let what happens happen regardless of how they feel about it? Yeah, not gonna happen.

In the end things change, as you said some for the better some for the worst. All in all we are better than we were in the past. Might not seem like it, but look at any the cold hard fact and it is undeniable. Crime is down, teen births are down, ect.

We are definitely progressing more than we were . . . some things are much better for sure, but while you might view teen births being down I think we're seeing an uptick of other teen-related crimes and nefarious activities.

Christian anarchists oppose taxes because they view God (not government) as the only valid source of authority.

Right. Christians commonly oppose taxes because we don't view the Federal government as the local authority. Good grief.

From Mark 12:

14They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?

15Should we pay or shouldn't we?" But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. "Why are you trying to trap me?" he asked. "Bring me a denarius and let me look at it."

16They brought the coin, and he asked them, "Whose image is this? And whose inscription?" "Caesar's," they replied.

17Then Jesus said to them, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

The only time there is a problem is if the two are in conflict.

Maybe . . . I could say the same for you and others on the opposite side of the discussion.

You could, but you would be wrong.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I took a Home Economics class in High School. Not to learn the things I did, but to have another class with my girlfriend. :)

And I could sew a mean vest . . .

So if there is nothing wrong, what is the problem again?

So folks are to just sit down and let what happens happen regardless of how they feel about it? Yeah, not gonna happen.

If enough people stop paying attention to those that scream about thing that are not big deals, yes eventually they will settle down.

We are definitely progressing more than we were . . . some things are much better for sure, but while you might view teen births being down I think we're seeing an uptick of other teen-related crimes and nefarious activities.

We are not seeing an uptick in teen crime. It's down to as well. Those are not my views, but the hard facts.

There is nothing wrong with women working on cars or men sewing buttons on a suit (tailoring).
The problem we have today is what do men and women do when the get home? If the dad is not leading, loving and instructing in the home, he is not doing his job. That is where the real problem is (that is if dad is even in the home).

What are you thoughts on gay partners (lesbians or male gay couples) adopting children?

Thanks for your response.

Right. Christians commonly oppose taxes because we don't view the Federal government as the local authority. Good grief.

I didn't say it was common. Christian Anarchists are not a large group.

As I said, Christian Anarchists have their own beliefs regarding the Render Unto Caesar passage.

From Mark 12:

14They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?

15Should we pay or shouldn't we?" But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. "Why are you trying to trap me?" he asked. "Bring me a denarius and let me look at it."

16They brought the coin, and he asked them, "Whose image is this? And whose inscription?" "Caesar's," they replied.

17Then Jesus said to them, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.

One could take a very literal meaning to this and justify not paying local taxes because money is not local, but federal. Others could argue that since US money says "In God We Trust" the money itself is Gods, as all things are.

Thats the fun, a person can use religions text to justify just about anything.

What are you thoughts on gay partners (lesbians or male gay couples) adopting children?

Thanks for your response.

I'm against it. I believe it's important to have a mom and dad.

[YT]watch?v=BBXsmCKGNhE[/YT]

Last edited by a moderator:
You could, but you would be wrong.

Well of course . . . because m52nickerson says so . . .

So if there is nothing wrong, what is the problem again?

Sigh. The problem is the end result and special accommodations needed for many of these cases. Specifically the overnight trips and events where chaperones are required.

We are not seeing an uptick in teen crime. It's down to as well. Those are not my views, but the hard facts.

Guess we just seem to be hearing about stuff more then . . .

One could take a very literal meaning to this and justify not paying local taxes because money is not local, but federal. Others could argue that since US money says "In God We Trust" the money itself is Gods, as all things are.

Really? So each state prints their own currency? We all benefit from a National infrastructure supported by our taxes. The management of that infrastructure may be at different levels but it's ultimately supported by the exact same currency.

Thats the fun, a person can use religions text to justify just about anything.

Too bad it's often taken out of context . . . but I get your point.

I didn't say it was common. Christian Anarchists are not a large group.

Sorry for inferring that . . . regardless you seemed to be using that less common practice to characterize the larger group of Christians.

You are the one that brought up incest, the only reason to do that in the SSM argument is to invoke a slipperly slope argument. So saying that you did not do that after the fact is laughable. Also, since incest and the differences between it and SSM were discussed at lenght to claim that anyone simple said "slipperly slope" and did not discuss it is a lie.

Actually no I didn't bring it up. Quote it. Have you noticed that most of what you say is not truthful?

What a complete and utter load of crap. People are responding to what you type, and calling you out on it when the things you type don't go with each other. It's simple, saying that you are for SSM and than arguing against it as long and hard as you have means there is some type of disconnect.

Again I'm arguing that gay marriage is not a civil right nit that ssm shouldn't be allowed.

Why won't you acknowledge this? That would be the intellectually honest thing to do ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back