I have the most annoying sister-in-law ever! (rant)

Is she single? How old?

Sounds like the dog is a surrogate for a baby...

You have a point. Early 30s, she's not dating now and I suspect she won't anytime soon b/c when you live with others you don't feel as lonely. It's when you live by yourself and have to watch The Voice with microwave dinners by your lonesome that it starts to hit you!

Why do you have food in your bathroom garbage can?
And why don't you just close the bathroom door?

I would just raise the dog by myself.
I mean I don't like to use violence but a few punches here and there should raise that dog in no time in addition to some good time spend on lessons of course.

No, she moves the kitchen garbage to the bathroom every day because... ya know... It's better to modify the entire friggin' house than train the damn animal. And yea, like I said he behaves around me better but it doesn't help when someone reinforces crap behavior.

The tit for tat stuff is probably because she feels bad for her dog.

We are sharing a house with some friends, their son is never controlled by his mum (his dad does). The kid listens to everyone more than her but if she is around he doesn't listen to anyone. And crys to her if told what to do.

Now it's annoying at times but I have no doubt she loves the hell out of that kid. And the biggest loser in this is her. A crying fit can change her mind so he trys it frequently, I've looked after him many times and he doesn't do them anymore.

I am 100% sure she questions our parenting at times too, hell I know she does.

Gotta let them do things their way and mind your own patch.

Dogs are like children (as controversial as that remark may sound). You let them do anything and they will not respect you and they will be a terror to society.

(TLDR; My sister in law spoils her dog and is borderline crazy) So my wife and I live with her sister in a large house. I must say I am black, they are white (I usually would not bring this up, but maybe it'll give some context regarding cultural differences).

Her sister has a dog and we have a dog we got about 2 years ago.

Outside of people who beat up and starve their dogs, she has got to be one of the WORST pet owners I have ever seen!

Back story... she adopted her dog back in 2014. She claims he is a rescue that was abused... (I suspect closer to neglected, basically an old man kept him cooped up in a cage all day and paid him no mind). As a result this makes her feel guilty whenever she has to discipline him... so she doesn't. <1>

Now our dog, we had since she was a puppy (a bit too young actually). We took her out frequently, we train her, she is intelligent, she is even good enough to walk off leash.

Sister in law's dog cannot walk off leash, if he ever gets off leash he books it! He cannot be around other dogs because he will get aggressive. Her nervous, worrisome energy doesn't help. So you can see the contrast between our 2 dogs.

Her dog does NOT listen to her at all! If he is on the couch, she will beg him for legit several minutes to get off, nudging him gently while smiling like an idiot. He ignores her then she says: "poor thing thinks he's in trouble!"

If she wants him to follow her upstairs she will repeatedly say "come on... come on... come on... come on... come on..." A good dozen or so times in a baby voice while he ignores her. If he decides not to follow, she'll just walk away without him listening, which any dog owner will tell you is BAAAAD. If you are driving with him in a car, he will keep trying to get to the front no matter how many times you push him back or command him not to.

The other night my wife and I were sleeping and heard stomping several times. Wanna know what it was? The sister in law's crazy ass kept running up and down the stairs so he could become playful and follow her upstairs. Can you imagine running up and down a flight of steps just to get your dog to do ONE *BEEP*in command?

I peak my head out the door and ask her in an annoyed voice: "what are you doing?!" She pretended not to hear me.

He will take food from her hand.

He barks loudly and startles everyone randomly.

He steals food out of the garbage so she has to keep the garbage can locked up in the bathroom when we are all at work... He eats cat shit from the kitty litter and cat food so the house is basically "baby-proofed" because of him. He's gotten so bad now, that he tries to steal food off of counters.

My wife and I (especially me) are the only ones who discipline his ass. So when she is not around, he behaves better, as soon as the sister-in-law comes in, a switch goes off and he becomes an asshole.

Sister-in-law has a living room on her side and we have one near ours. Ironically enough, her dog always wants to be with US the "mean ones". Not the ones who spoil him and kiss his ass, the ones who provide discipline. I usually don't want him anywhere near me because 1. He misbehaves and 2. If he isn't going to be trained I refuse to be his "surrogate" dog daddy. However, she will come over to our side to kiss him repeatedly while he ignores her. He does not even greet her when she comes back from work (our dog actually is excited to see her).

Now here is the kicker... Everything she does is a tit-for-tat crap. Now I don't know if it was some childhood crap going on between the sisters but check this out: If I decide to take my dog out to play with a frisbee, she will take her dog out with a leash. My wife and I take BOTH DOGS for walks in the back trail - there are 2 of us and 2 dogs, so why not? She NEVER takes her dog out because she is always working overtime (which I understand) or if she isn't working, she has to be painting, or building something, or vacuuming, basically she can't sit still for the life of her. However, the MOMENT we take our dog out to do something fun she'll stop everything she is doing to take her dog out (remember, she can't take her dog to dog parks like us because of aggression that she fed into). If our dog does a trick and gets treats, she has to get treats for her dog too. It is aggravating. She is competitive and tit for tat in regards to crap that does not matter, but I wish she were competitive when it came to things like having her dog behave, or do tricks, or be obedient, but she doesn't care about that... It's just "their dog goes on a walk for 5 minutes 30 seconds, I must take mine out for 5 minutes and 31 seconds.

Even the dog trainer realizes how terrible she is.

She and I butt heads often and there is absolutely NO reasoning with her. As much of a pushover as she is with the dog, she can be kinda cold with humans... go figure.

I suspect she is crazy (I use the term colloquially) and annoying af.

Advice is in 0:35

(TLDR; My sister in law spoils her dog and is borderline crazy) So my wife and I live with her sister in a large house. I must say I am black, they are white (I usually would not bring this up, but maybe it'll give some context regarding cultural differences).

Her sister has a dog and we have a dog we got about 2 years ago.

Outside of people who beat up and starve their dogs, she has got to be one of the WORST pet owners I have ever seen!

Back story... she adopted her dog back in 2014. She claims he is a rescue that was abused... (I suspect closer to neglected, basically an old man kept him cooped up in a cage all day and paid him no mind). As a result this makes her feel guilty whenever she has to discipline him... so she doesn't. <1>

Now our dog, we had since she was a puppy (a bit too young actually). We took her out frequently, we train her, she is intelligent, she is even good enough to walk off leash.

Sister in law's dog cannot walk off leash, if he ever gets off leash he books it! He cannot be around other dogs because he will get aggressive. Her nervous, worrisome energy doesn't help. So you can see the contrast between our 2 dogs.

Her dog does NOT listen to her at all! If he is on the couch, she will beg him for legit several minutes to get off, nudging him gently while smiling like an idiot. He ignores her then she says: "poor thing thinks he's in trouble!"

If she wants him to follow her upstairs she will repeatedly say "come on... come on... come on... come on... come on..." A good dozen or so times in a baby voice while he ignores her. If he decides not to follow, she'll just walk away without him listening, which any dog owner will tell you is BAAAAD. If you are driving with him in a car, he will keep trying to get to the front no matter how many times you push him back or command him not to.

The other night my wife and I were sleeping and heard stomping several times. Wanna know what it was? The sister in law's crazy ass kept running up and down the stairs so he could become playful and follow her upstairs. Can you imagine running up and down a flight of steps just to get your dog to do ONE *BEEP*in command?

I peak my head out the door and ask her in an annoyed voice: "what are you doing?!" She pretended not to hear me.

He will take food from her hand.

He barks loudly and startles everyone randomly.

He steals food out of the garbage so she has to keep the garbage can locked up in the bathroom when we are all at work... He eats cat shit from the kitty litter and cat food so the house is basically "baby-proofed" because of him. He's gotten so bad now, that he tries to steal food off of counters.

My wife and I (especially me) are the only ones who discipline his ass. So when she is not around, he behaves better, as soon as the sister-in-law comes in, a switch goes off and he becomes an asshole.

Sister-in-law has a living room on her side and we have one near ours. Ironically enough, her dog always wants to be with US the "mean ones". Not the ones who spoil him and kiss his ass, the ones who provide discipline. I usually don't want him anywhere near me because 1. He misbehaves and 2. If he isn't going to be trained I refuse to be his "surrogate" dog daddy. However, she will come over to our side to kiss him repeatedly while he ignores her. He does not even greet her when she comes back from work (our dog actually is excited to see her).

Now here is the kicker... Everything she does is a tit-for-tat crap. Now I don't know if it was some childhood crap going on between the sisters but check this out: If I decide to take my dog out to play with a frisbee, she will take her dog out with a leash. My wife and I take BOTH DOGS for walks in the back trail - there are 2 of us and 2 dogs, so why not? She NEVER takes her dog out because she is always working overtime (which I understand) or if she isn't working, she has to be painting, or building something, or vacuuming, basically she can't sit still for the life of her. However, the MOMENT we take our dog out to do something fun she'll stop everything she is doing to take her dog out (remember, she can't take her dog to dog parks like us because of aggression that she fed into). If our dog does a trick and gets treats, she has to get treats for her dog too. It is aggravating. She is competitive and tit for tat in regards to crap that does not matter, but I wish she were competitive when it came to things like having her dog behave, or do tricks, or be obedient, but she doesn't care about that... It's just "their dog goes on a walk for 5 minutes 30 seconds, I must take mine out for 5 minutes and 31 seconds.

Even the dog trainer realizes how terrible she is.

She and I butt heads often and there is absolutely NO reasoning with her. As much of a pushover as she is with the dog, she can be kinda cold with humans... go figure.

I suspect she is crazy (I use the term colloquially) and annoying af.
It’s not cultural. She is just a shitty dog owner and person. She doesn’t even realize how shitty she is and that makes it even sadder. I feel for you man and it would make me pissed if someone acted the way she does.

You keep doing what your doing and discipline your dog the proper way.

TS, no you don't. I'll trade you mine for yours any day of the week

Stopped reading after this:

So my wife and I live with her sister in a large house.

100% of your wounds are self inflicted. Never, ever complain about things you need not subject yourself to.

Move out you nincompoop. Or kick them out if it's your place. Live like normal, functional adults.

Stopped reading after this:

100% of your wounds are self inflicted. Never, ever complain about things you need not subject yourself to.

Move out you nincompoop. Or kick them out if it's your place. Live like normal, functional adults.
I have to agree with this man, and this is coming from someone trying to get rid of my sister in law. It has gotten so bad, she recently lost her job and I recommended her moving out of state for work. She went crying to my wife that I' trying to kick her out. To which I said "yes, I am" we are a married couple, lets start living like one.

You want to complain about her and her dog. I have two dogs, both mine and my wife's. The problem is they are both fat, the one is losing weight the other is gaining weight, want to guess which one spends all damn day with my sister in law as she watches "Law and Order" reruns eating potato chips, cookies and other crap. Then to make matters worse, she has the nerve to complain to people that she can't lose weight even though she "goes to the gym and has a personal trainer". She goes to the gym and bitches for an hour, goes to personal trainer and pays to bitch for a half hour. Then complains how she "eats healthy", just because you throw the candy, chips and cookie wrappers in discrete bags you sneak into the garbage can doesn't mean your body won't absorb the calories.

So I have a whiny fat slob of sister in law making my dog fat, who is constantly trying to get my wife to sit around on Netflix binges while complaining about "not finding a boyfriend". You need to get rid of her TS, the same way I need to get rid of mine.

Hell, for all I know this could be totally normally behavior for some cultures... Not even being sarcastic. There is some crap like buying your dog sneakers and outfits and crap that I've never seen certain communities do.

Are you trying to say white people don't train their dogs lol

TS you sound poor. Get your own house. And don't invite people to stay.

I have to agree with this man, and this is coming from someone trying to get rid of my sister in law. It has gotten so bad, she recently lost her job and I recommended her moving out of state for work. She went crying to my wife that I' trying to kick her out. To which I said "yes, I am" we are a married couple, lets start living like one.

You want to complain about her and her dog. I have two dogs, both mine and my wife's. The problem is they are both fat, the one is losing weight the other is gaining weight, want to guess which one spends all damn day with my sister in law as she watches "Law and Order" reruns eating potato chips, cookies and other crap. Then to make matters worse, she has the nerve to complain to people that she can't lose weight even though she "goes to the gym and has a personal trainer". She goes to the gym and bitches for an hour, goes to personal trainer and pays to bitch for a half hour. Then complains how she "eats healthy", just because you throw the candy, chips and cookie wrappers in discrete bags you sneak into the garbage can doesn't mean your body won't absorb the calories.

So I have a whiny fat slob of sister in law making my dog fat, who is constantly trying to get my wife to sit around on Netflix binges while complaining about "not finding a boyfriend". You need to get rid of her TS, the same way I need to get rid of mine.

I went to go visit a slam pig I used to see years ago. All weekend she served me cous cous and she went to yoga class one day. While she's at yoga, I go to throw something in the trash and it's stuffed with junk food wrappers. I was not impressed.

Your SIL needs a new hobby...

pP7GEtI.gif

As someone that works with dogs, I'm going to be nice and conservative and say about 50% of people with dogs, shouldn't have them (number is probably A LOT higher).

Back