I just cant get behind the Ngannou hype...

I think he's better than Rogers, but he's not that far off. His skill set is very limited. Specifically his grappling.

In what way can you quantify that his grappling is severely limited? He has 4 submission wins in only 12 fights. He has 4 times as many subs as the current champion Stipe.

Sherdog - "UFC can't create stars"

UFC creates a star

Sherdog - "I can't behind the hype"

He isnt a “star”, if he wrecks Stipe then sure but i dont know a single casual fan who has heard of the guy despite UFC’s immense push on all their social media platforms

Surprised you didn't dredge up his lost to a no name fighter 4 years ago when he had like 3 fights in MMA too.

He isnt a “star”, if he wrecks Stipe then sure but i dont know a single casual fan who has heard of the guy despite UFC’s immense push on all their social media platforms

Because you know ALL the casual fans, right?

Sucks he hasn't had time to show his all round skill but that is what is so intriguing, a decent ground game could make him very, very hard to beat. Can't wait for this fight. I prey to the JBG they get there healthy.

Well, I think he has shown his all around skill, its just most fans are not ready to accept it. With 11 wins, all by way of finish, 4 of which were submissions, I'm not sure how much he will have to do to make people understand. This guy is the real deal. Even if he loses to Stipe, he's still the real deal and a deadly threat moving forward.

Because you know ALL the casual fans, right?

Quit being an ass while everyone else in here is having a rational discussion

I have alot of friends who are into mma but dont follow every event like i do and most have never even heard of Ngannou, despite knowing Overeem

People on here have way too high of standards for newer fighters. They always claim they need to do more and have long runs to prove themselves. It’s mma you don’t need to have tons of fights to be the best or create your legacy. Look at Shogun, a lot of people consider him a legend based off of few fight run from 2005.

Well, I think he has shown his all around skill, its just most fans are not ready to accept it. With 11 wins, all by way of finish, 4 of which were submissions, I'm not sure how much he will have to do to make people understand. This guy is the real dead. Even if he loses to Stipe, he's still the real deal and a deadly threat moving forward.
His 4 sub wins were against much lower caliber opponents. He hasn't shown what his ground game is like against the best. Guess we will find out.

If Ngannou beats Stipe you are going to see him become a HUGE star. He's HW, he hits hard as shit, he's likeable with a great backstory. He is going to be a huge star if he wins his next fight. Get ready for it.

Yeah, you can feel it ready to blow up.

As far as whether Ngannou is hyped, I think there needs to be some balance. Anyone calling him all hype hasn't watched the fights. Ngannou is clearly one of the best HWs in the UFC. Even if Stipe or Cain could beat him, how does being beaten by the champ prove that you aren't good?

But there's still reason to be slightly cautious. He may not be exactly the world beater he has seemed to be thus far.

Sherdog has become too allergic to hype.

Well... We are all waiting for the new guy that can stay undefeated 10 years, 30 fights at HW. Maybe this is the guy..?

Until he starts losing rounds or being KOd, the hype is fine.

His 4 sub wins were against much lower caliber opponents. He hasn't shown what his ground game is like against the best. Guess we will find out.

Its HW, outside of Werdum none of these guys are going to want to roll around much. Stipe himself only has 1 sub in his entire career. Ngannou is so strong, if he snatches an arm good luck getting it back.

Quit being an ass while everyone else in here is having a rational discussion

I have alot of friends who are into mma but dont follow every event like i do and most have never even heard of Ngannou, despite knowing Overeem

Well I work with a bunch of tech nerds that barely follow MMA but on Monday was asking me who the big scary African dude was.

The Stipe fight will prove his worth. At this point he is just a little ahead of where Sokoudjou was after he KO'd Arona, and we all know how that worked out. If he beats Stipe he'll be for real real. It's hard to argue with belts.

watch this. i'm not trying to convince you; i'm merely trying to give you more info. this overview talks as much or more about what led to and set up the KO than the KO itself.

Last edited:
All we can really do is look at what he's accomplished and that's pretty impressive for the start of his UFC career. Except for Stipe, HW has been stagnant with the same big names for over 10yrs. That's just what we're used to.
If NGannou can beat Stipe, the only fighter on the HW horizon who might be interesting is Werdum. I doubt Cain will ever come back now.

Yeah, you can feel it ready to blow up.

As far as whether Ngannou is hyped, I think there needs to be some balance. Anyone calling him all hype hasn't watched the fights. Ngannou is clearly one of the best HWs in the UFC. Even if Stipe or Cain could beat him, how does being beaten by the champ prove that you aren't good?

But there's still reason to be slightly cautious. He may not be exactly the world beater he has seemed to be thus far.

Sherdog has become too allergic to hype.

We're going to find out and you are right, anything can happen in MMA. Ngannou could lose his next 3 fights. I don't think so though.

In what way can you quantify that his grappling is severely limited? He has 4 submission wins in only 12 fights. He has 4 times as many subs as the current champion Stipe.
Travis Fulton has a 141 more submissions than Werdum. That doesn't make him a better grappler.

Ngannou has only been grappling for 5 years of his life and he's only been a professional fighter, with professional training, for 3 years.
He isn't like Stipe who wrestled for half his life in college, etc.

When Francis goes up against someone of Werdum or Cain's skill sets, he will need to end their life quickly or else run the risk of looking like the blue belt he is.
And I don't just mean the ground game, we're talking clinch game as well.

People on here have way too high of standards for newer fighters. They always claim they need to do more and have long runs to prove themselves. It’s mma you don’t need to have tons of fights to be the best or create your legacy. Look at Shogun, a lot of people consider him a legend based off of few fight run from 2005.

I dont care how many fights the dude has its just like i said, a matter of context. Overeem and Arlovski are guys known for keeping fights on the feet while also not being able to take a decent punch and Ngannou is known for hitting hard. 2 of the most predictable matchups in recent memory and he gets a title shot off that..?

Back