I just cant get behind the Ngannou hype... | Page 5

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Epicness, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MusterX Steel Belt

MusterX
    Yea its a weird thing that you don't get with most fighters. If someone says, does Jones have a good guard? We all have a question mark for that. Who knows, we may never know. Ngannou may be similar, he may just knock guys out and rarely if ever be on his back for long.

SoberAwakening likes this.
  2. snootylol Yellow Card

snootylol
    Not really buying the hype yet.. This is his first big win.. HW is so devoid of talent even at the very top.. that's why the likes of Werdum/Overeem are still at the top.. Lesnar could come back and probably be in the top 5.. that's how bad HW is. I mean if he gets by Stipe we can't talk anymore.. but so far he koed Overeem and Avloski who both have years and years of wear and tear and both go out to a small tickle on the chin these days

3. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

SeattleFightFan
    that's not unfair.

but it's also not unique. many fighters get to the title shot without fighting (insert technique, style, skillset, or specific physicality type here).

as often as not, some poster complains that a champ or contender "hasn't beat a striker/wrestler yet". you and this thread just under that wider umbrella.

4. MostDangerousGame Blue Belt

MostDangerousGame
    All that I know is that Ngannou can be taken down. Most of the time w/ ease.

Ngannou has really good TDD against cage.

The L.Henrique fight showed that he can't escape when off his back. Unless ref stands them up.

Doesn't do well when there's no distance. Begins to slow down near end of 2nd Rd. Ngannou doesn't do TD's.

PEDS Help me Post likes this.
  5. snootylol Yellow Card

snootylol
    Jon Jones resume shits on anything Francis has done.. just his win vs Shogun alone does..

Ngannou has barely faced anyone with a pulse.. he might get away with it because HW is so awful right now tho

MusterX likes this.
  6. Todd498 Green Belt

Todd498
    I bet he wasn’t all up in arms when people were still talking shit about Fedor during his 10 year unbeaten reign. Lol Just a hunch..

7. Mr T_712 THE BIG MAN

Mr T_712
    To be honest Miocic and Ngannou are the only two legitimate heavyweights in the UFC currently as Overeem and Dos Santos are coming off crushing losses. Velasquez is MIA. Werdum needs a big win and as for the rest I can't think of anyone worthy of being mentioned.

8. MusterX Steel Belt

MusterX
    I don't disagree with you that HW is a weak division but I've watched many years of MMA and Francis Ngannou rings all the bells and checks all the boxes so far. He looks to be a legitimate ass kicker.

9. Epicness Brown Belt

Epicness
    Well if he beats Stipe that checks both thos boxes

Dont get me wrong, Im excited to see him fight Stipe, I just wish the UFC wasnt so desperate for stars lately that they push every potential one they get as hard as possible

10. grimballer Red Belt

grimballer
    Says the idiot who’s criticizing a guy who just beat number 1 contender n made it look easy n is 6-0 in ufc with all 1st round finishes expect 1.

Like someone else already said, hows stipe any more legit?

Cause he beat werdum, who ran straight at him?

Or 43 year old hunt or jds (both beat by Overeem)

For a rational individual ngannou is a legit fighter right now. If you can’t see what’s so special about him, then cleArly you have a bias

11. kill_bot Blue Belt

kill_bot
    Ngannou is Shane Carwin 2.0

Ngannou is 11-1 with multiple ko wins (7) to obtain title shot
    Carwin was 12-0 with multiple ko wins (7) for title shot

Both have insane power
    Both beat two over the hill fighters to earn their shots; Carwin beat Gonzaga and Mir and Ngannou beat Arlovski and Overeem

The only difference between the two is age; Ngannou is much younger so his cardio should not be as much of an issue

The Ngannou hype is real and it is about time we got some new HW challengers, the division was stale for many years

12. MostDangerousGame Blue Belt

MostDangerousGame
    The big things that I see that Ngannou can improve on in order to become a long reining HW Champ is:

- TD (non-existent right now)
    - Scramble off his back

Not confident in Ngannou if he was taken down by Werdum. Or if he's baited down ala Fedor

MusterX likes this.
  13. chrisdiaz Blue Belt

chrisdiaz
    Ngannous coaches have been pretty vocal about how quickly he is catching on. I just hope vegas doesnt get to him like it did to conor. That city is hell for someone trying to be disciplined but it seems he has a good head on his shoulders so far. I think that will be his biggest issue as he gets more popular.

14. DynamicFastener Orange Belt

DynamicFastener
    I see Ngannou beating Stipe handily.

15. Nightwish Blue Belt

Nightwish
    Could you get the hype for Carlos after the marathon he ran away from Nick Diaz?

16. kalabula Purple Belt

kalabula
    If he beats Stipe and Cain...

17. g*r*b Super-Stretch Waistband

g*r*b
    I've been lately seeing a lot of "Stipe has one sub in contrast with Ngannou's 4" lately. I guess somebody hastily read Fightfinder and everybody's been parroting it since, because it's even a starker contrast than that. Stipe's sub was a tapout to leg kicks, it had nothing to do with BJJ!

I can't remember much offensive BJJ ever shown from Stipe. There was a fair amount of inchoate ground activity, possibly going for positions, in his first UFC fight with Beltran. And there was one, maybe two kimuras attempted in the Hunt fight. As for defensive displays, we've only had the fighting off of Overeem's guillotine. But that was a pretty damn important demonstration of it, no? Before it, we could only go on Schaub's assertion that Stipe was almost impossible to sub as any evidence Miocic had BJJ chops at all.

Which brings up the point that hampers our discussion about Ngannou: we can't assume that lack of evidence means there is evidence of a lack.

MusterX likes this.
  18. BjPenn2017 Brown Belt

BjPenn2017
    Only the greats beat Bojan Mihalojvic amd Anthony Hamilton

HI SCOTT NEWMAN likes this.
  19. PEDS Help me Post Yellow Card

PEDS Help me Post
    You seem to think that the only purpose of grappling is subs.

20. MMA92585 Orange Belt

MMA92585
    Agreed.