I just don't understand the fight IQ. SUPER angry with the main event. (Spoiler)

Did you even watch the fight? Lee did try to go for a takedown in the last round, but he couldn't get it.

He doesn't have good cardio to begin with, and he definitely doesn't have the capability to attempt takedowns at will without compromising his gas tank.

Ding ding. Yup.

I don't get how a fan could not grasp that? (Durrr Why didn't he just spam takedown attempts for 25 minutes straight!?)

Maybe it just seems insanely obvious to me because I wrestled a little bit in high school...

ladies and gentlemen, in case you weren't aware, wrestling is goddamn exhausting.

Not to mention trying to take someone down
Who doesn’t want to be taken down
And is jabbing you in the mouth repeatedly
Is EXHAUSTING
Is this really a hardcore mma forum?
These kids man..

Not to mention trying to take someone down
Who doesn’t want to be taken down
And is jabbing you in the mouth repeatedly
Is EXHAUSTING
Is this really a hardcore mma forum?
These kids man..
It reminds me of watching MMA with noobs that say stuff like:

"why doesn't he just get up?"

Very few people giving credit to Al here.

There is a reason Kevin Lee was not able to get Al down in every round, keep him there, control him etc.

AL IAQUINTA is a damn good fighter.

He was stuffing a decent amount of TD attempts, making Kevin use tons of muscle and expend tons of energy every time and Al was in great shape and knew he would get out of those situations as the fresher fighter.

He also punched Kevin Lee in the face a lot. That takes away from a fighters ability to spam endless TD attempts for 25 minutes like some of you idiots seem to expect as a realistic approach to a fight against an extremely high level pro fighter.

It's bad fight IQ but I think his poor gas tank contributed to it. I think he knows that he can't heavily grapple in a five rounder. The guy has about a 7-8 minute gas tank before he's fighting compromised. I don't know if it's the weight cut, whether it's training methods, or if it's just genetics but his cardio sucks.

Hey wrestling is my base. its my core. I went 3 for 3 and took the guys back. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT??????? I AM GOING TO STAND HERE FOR 3 MINS EACH ROUND AND BE USED AS A PUNCHING BAG. THEN IM GONNA BE SURPRISED WITH THE DECISION.
YOU FUCK
TAKE YOUR ASS TO WW BECAUSE CLEARLY THE WEIGHT CUT AFFECTS YOUR BRAIN.................... NOT TO MENTION YOUR CHIN.
YOU FUCK
I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IT.
WHY NOT WRESTLE WRESTLE WRESTLE?????????

LEE_KEVIN_L.png

vs
MAIA_DEMIAN_L.png

Is the fight to make.
Wanted to give the fans a war instead of a snooze fest

I think he was utterly mentally defeated the second Al threw in those half assed single attempts. He probably had some plan about avoiding the hands and getting it to the ground, but didn't implement it or adapt it when Al threw out something unexpected. He looked totally confused from that point on.

He might have been confident that he was ready for any version of Al that he'd seen, but that was probably the best Iaquinta we've had in the cage
Al grabbing low, knowing hes not getting the TD, just to hit Lee in the face. It for sure seemed to confuse Lee. Lee just let it happen over and over. He got outstuck and out worked in rounds 1,4,5. 3 was the closest round. I remember seeing simalar tactics used by Frankie Edgar in the past. Shoot, miss the takedown, strike to the head. It confused Lee. I'm with you on that.

Terrible fight IQ, I don't know what he was thinking. I believe he would have been able to win that fight handily if he'd focussed on his wrestling and just keeping position rather than going for subs.
i actually think it was arrogance last night, not fight IQ. he was believing the hype (look at what the betting line was), and thought he was going to handle him wherever the fight went. really strange considering he had already lost to the guy.

I think Lee was expecting his TD threat to create more openings for him in the striking. He underestimated Al big time.

This happens sometimes with grapplers after the first go isn’t too easy . Perfect example Rashad v Phil Davis one . Phil went for one takedown on Rashad . Then after one stuff spent the majority of the fight just getting bullied and Walked down . It’s guys like Maia and well khabib takes breaks but ceartin guys just keep spamming and trying to chain wrestle

Al grabbing low, knowing hes not getting the TD, just to hit Lee in the face. It for sure seemed to confuse Lee. Lee just let it happen over and over. He got outstuck and out worked in rounds 1,4,5. 3 was the closest round. I remember seeing simalar tactics used by Frankie Edgar in the past. Shoot, miss the takedown, strike to the head. It confused Lee. I'm with you on that.
I actually thought, after it was obvious how effective it was on Lee, that Al could have fully committed and took Kevin down. Yeah, I get Kevin is supposed to be a feared grappler, but its all wrestling-based offensive-grappling, and I dont recall many real good sweeps or scrambles by Kevin in the past to deter that. I don't think he's shown anything that different from wrestler types who deal really well on top, but are helpless off their back. Maybe 2 minutes on Lee's guard on the ground could have paid dividends throughout, even open up the finish he was close to by the end of the 5th.

Still though, it was a great performance.

Makes me wonder how well Al does against Khabib if he had time to prepare, not only Khabib, but also a 5 round fight.
Al made it to a decision with Khabib. He got decisioned something like 50-45 or whatever but most guys don't get that far with Khabib.
As far as Kevin Lee goes, doesn't he have the longest reach in LW? I didn't watch the fight so I'm just surprised he was outboxed by Al and he could've used his rangey limbs well.
The only two fights I got to see were Joaquim Silva Vs Jared Gordon and Bobby Green Vs Drakkar Klose.

You realise Al was stopping the takedowns after Lee gassed? Ofcourse a sherdogger has endless cardio after getting smashed and jabbed in the face a billion times but Lee isnt one.
Yeah Lee is too Beta to be a sherdogger with a gas tank as deep as the Mariana Trench

shut up kid. ive been watching MMA since PRIDE was live on TV.

You were watching fixed, fake fights by Bas Rutten with gay shoes on, falling on purpose with Ken Shamrock? Making only asian dumb asses believe it was real?

You were watching that garbage?

No wonder you thought Kevin Lee was anything close to top 60

You were watching fixed, fake fights by Bas Rutten with gay shoes on, falling on purpose with Ken Shamrock? Making only asian dumb asses believe it was real?

You were watching that garbage?

No wonder you thought Kevin Lee was anything close to top 60
PRIDE and Pancrase are two very different things kid.

Al has a good wrestling background..

theres a reason why khabib didnt maul him like the rest of his opponents.
Even though it seemd like khabib wanted to stand, it al wasnt that good, khabib would have just finished him

Back