I live in Thailand ask me anything (Thailand brahs gtfih)

I was looking for more street food after 8pm, and probably a pub nearby for a drink place.
I was looking back at previous recommendations, Bamboo in Soi 1. What kind of food do they serve there?

Or any big night market like Train Night Market Ratchada, but opened tomorrow night. Else I'm probably heading to Chinatown.

EDIT:
Is JJ Green Market opened on a Tuesday night?

Ill send you details tomorrow after i wake up of a few places. Jj green isnt open during the week. Bamboo is arab food but they also do thai, pizza, russian etc. The menu is enormous.

Ill send you details tomorrow after i wake up of a few places. Jj green isnt open during the week. Bamboo is arab food but they also do thai, pizza, russian etc. The menu is enormous.

Sure, thanks. My flight is in a few hrs, I will check your suggestion when I get there.

Are there any good jazz clubs? Not vocal jazz. I hate vocal jazz.

Are there any good jazz clubs? Not vocal jazz. I hate vocal jazz.

Bangkok in my opinion is not a great city for music. There is plenty of Thai bands/singers around that are okay if you like the Thai stuff, but the broader depth of music is a bit weak. Very small music scenes for other niches like punk, rock, metal, jazz, hip hop, etc.

The best jazz place is Saxaphone Pub near Victory Monument. My favorite is Iron Fairies as I like open mic jazz and the atmosphere, but its more vocal jazz so you might want to skip it. Brown Sugar is also a fairly famous and old jazz place in Bangkok. There is also a place on Soi Rangnam near Victory Monument that is interesting. It is on the rooftop of some townhouses and is open jazz club. I used to hang out there with some buddies who play music and have some drinks and jam.

Saxaphone
05Thailand10Bangkok66Volume_4256Saxophone_4%5E1280x-1024x640.jpg

Brown Sugar
Sugar+Brown+-+Pub+%2526+Restaurant+Bangkok-50.jpg

Sky Train Jazz Bar
sky_train_jazz0_big.jpg

Sure, thanks. My flight is in a few hrs, I will check your suggestion when I get there.

Okay, here are a few options for outdoor food/drinks.

Khaosan area

this is the main backpacking hub. there is a rooftop bar with live music halfway down the street (hard to miss) that I like to drink at occasionally. I also like some of the Thai places like Brick Bar. Plenty of food, girls, and places to drink

khao-San-Road.jpg

Ratchatewi BTS

If you get off here, there is a cluster of bars that is very local that you could check out. I go here with Thai friends sometimes and also picked up some hot chicks from this spot. Untapped hunting grounds. Thais always go out in groups, so you might stick out if you are alone. You should be able to strike up a conversation and join into a group easily though. It is called Coco Walk and has about 6 bars in a little area and some restaurants. There is also REALLY good street food on the opposite side of the road if you walk down towards MBK for about 3-4min.

cocowalksign.jpg

Talad RotFai Ratchada

I just checked and a lot of the bars are actually opening on Tuesday now, so you could still go check it out. Definitely one of my favorite places in Bangkok. I used to live 10min walk from there and go every week.

IMG_2537.jpg

Suhumvit Soi 11

This is a popular expat street with a bunch of bars and restaurants. Sadly they knocked down my favorite alley in here a few months back to make room for a new condo, but there is a ton of places to eat and drink here. There are also a few clubs too on this street like Levels and Sugar. I usually go hang at Oskars for good food and drinks.

Oskar-French-Restaurant-Bistro-Bangkok.jpg

Seen Space

This is an open air area with a bunch of different bars and restaurants. You can sit in the middle of the courtyard and order from all of them in your group. Very much a 'hi-so' area. This is where the young, hot, and rich Thai girls are at. Also plenty of young expats here. Hence the name 'seen space' the place to be seen lol. Great food and craft beers etc.

BREW-Beers-&-Ciders.jpg.jpg

@Oeshon , the rest of ASEAN are pissed at Malaysia's home-cooked medals. Thailand is very vocal about their disappointment. I hope Thailand wins the football finals even if I don't care much for the sport.

Ratchatewi BTS

If you get off here, there is a cluster of bars that is very local that you could check out. I go here with Thai friends sometimes and also picked up some hot chicks from this spot. Untapped hunting grounds. Thais always go out in groups, so you might stick out if you are alone. You should be able to strike up a conversation and join into a group easily though. It is called Coco Walk and has about 6 bars in a little area and some restaurants. There is also REALLY good street food on the opposite side of the road if you walk down towards MBK for about 3-4min.

What's your go-to or THE go to street food in Thailand? Also what is some of the weirder shit they serve?

what's the cost of living for a western guy in his 20s? including muay thai training and regular partying.

What's your go-to or THE go to street food in Thailand? Also what is some of the weirder shit they serve?

Huay Kwang. I love that place. The army gutted the fuck out of it sadly when they shut down all the street markets but there is still a lot of good restaurants there.

As for weirder shit, you can get 'goong tien' in Huay Kwang, which is a live baby shrimp meal. They cook the food and then throw live baby shrimps into it with a lid on top. They then slowly burn to death and you eat them alive when they are jumping about. The lid keeps them in. Goong Tien translates to 'dancing shrimp'. I guess the fried bugs could also be considered very weird too. I love the grasshoppers and the white grub things but some of the others are gross.

080817-211104.jpg

what's the cost of living for a western guy in his 20s? including muay thai training and regular partying.

If you like western comforts and want to party a lot, budget for at least 50k baht a month. You can certainly live on less though and many do. Just need to be careful on partying as you can spend a lot.

For example, I had a going away party for a friend the other week and dropped about 10,000 baht that night (about 300usd). Not a small chunk of change. Then again, I've also gone out many times and spent only 1000 baht or less (30usd).

Best way to figure out your costs is break down your essentials first for a baseline, then figure out your lifestyle and 'stretch' costs. Essentials being rent, electricity, phone, water, internet, visa, health insurance, etc.

Then add your lifestyle stuff: gym, food, travel, transport, shopping, etc

Then figure out how much money you have to stretch for your other stuff and then adjust to what works for you.

One of the good things about Thailand is that you have incredible flexibility in your costs here. You can find a gym for as cheap as $3USD a year and an apartment for $100USD a month. Likewise, you can also go out to a rooftop bar and buy a glass of whiskey for $2000USD

The rich dudes driving the Ferarris and Lambos are probably ethnic Chinese.

A lot of the wealthy families are Thai-Chinese, but there is a lot of wealthy people from all over the place in Bangkok. Ton of money in this city.

Okay, here are a few options for outdoor food/drinks.

Sadly they knocked down my favorite alley in here a few months back to make room for a new condo, but there is a ton of places to eat and drink here. There are also a few clubs too on this street like Levels and Sugar.

That's a real shame. I stayed in Suk 11 last time I was in Bangkok. Was like stepping into a little Thai Narnia LOL. Very strange but cool. That alley was a bit of a godsend to get away from some of the grottier shit around there.

That's a real shame. I stayed in Suk 11 last time I was in Bangkok. Was like stepping into a little Thai Narnia LOL. Very strange but cool. That alley was a bit of a godsend to get away from some of the grottier shit around there.

Yeah, it was a sweet place. Used to go to charlie browns for passionfruit margeritas and beers at cheap charlies on the corner. Bkk is losing alot of the iconic cultural parts of the city in the face of inevitable economic progress.

I feel like im gonna be an old fart going on about the 'good old days' lol

What they do for living, thai lady boy pimps?

Probably trade. Ever read standard deviations by karl taro greenfeld? Has a chapter on rich ethnic chinese in jakarta right before the economic meltdown. Great read.

Back