"I lost because of my ego. I'm going to go fight for ACB." - Frank Mir

Sauk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I lost my cool; I let my ego dictate how I fought,” Mir said on his “Phone Booth Fighting” podcast with co-host Richard Hunter. “I’m pretty good at being emotionless and trying not to let that enter, but as soon as I got thrown through the air, it was such a highlight-reel throw, my ego was very injured.”

“When we got up, I went into street fighter mode,” Mir said. “I threw left hand over left hand instead of setting up my strikes and being composed, which two years since I’ve competed seriously, my composure is not where it should have been. That’s probably where the most ring rust came into it. Once I got into a firefight, I just got emotional instead of staying strategic."

Mir said. “I would like to get a fight in with the ACB before coming back to Bellator, so I can just get more time in clocked under me – so I can get my timing back on for fighting. You can train as much as you want, but there’s nothing like the real thing. I had 40 seconds the past two years, so I need some more time, some more rounds.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/frank...r-emelianenko-bellator-198-acb-next-fight-mma

Frank Mir loves to fight to his opponent's strengths, that's a big flaw of his. He's also older, heavier, and slower. Either way, he's my favorite HW of all time and I will miss him when he retires.

The hip toss mentally destroyed Mir... also the bitch slap (Diaz style)
giphy.gif

Fedor got reckless and threw down too. Also, Fedor is known for fighting in his opponents strengths as well. He just did it better.

Mir has sucked for a long while. The only excuse for him is they are just better

it was an interesting 8 minute interview. there were lots of threads on it last week if you want to go review those TS.

the first minute was full of what most called 'excuses'. i thought the next 5 minutes where he put the blame squarely on his own self more than made up for it, but in classic fashion most listeners made up their minds after he complained about the confusion around knees to the head of a down opponent rule.

i'm no big fan. one of my favorite moments of his was this:

but his 2009-2012 comeback - and his 2 wins over Nog - was impress. even i have to admit that.

so with that said, it's time to retire as a legend, Frank Mir. i'd much rather see you grapple Lister or Barnett than fight again. godspeed.

Last edited:
Fedor got reckless and threw down too. Also, Fedor is known for fighting in his opponents strengths as well. He just did it better.
Fedor lost his mental edge years ago, he used to be a computer, then he went to swinging haymakers with guys like BF etc

Instead of getting more rounds in he needs to seriously consider hanging them up. It's not that I don't like the guy, but he's been KO'd a lot in his career and I worry about his long-term health if he takes much more trauma to his brain.

I can see why he feels this way.

Still though, you lost to one of the greatest of all time, so Frank, at least give credit where credit is due. Fedor's short uppercut was gorgeous.

The Frank Mir big book of excuses.

Mir hater for life here

But I think his explanation is fair enough. Still got destroyed by the goat, but if he's saying that he can perform better if given another chance and he works on what he thinks went wrong.. than sure that's possibility. I still think he loses again, but I also think he is capable of performing better a second time around

Beaten by a throw? I know of guys that were suplexed, but never gave up And ended up winning the fight.

Beaten by a throw? I know of guys that were suplexed, but never gave up And ended up winning the fight.

Keith Hackney was pushed through the wall of the cage and came back to win by TKO.

To my knowledge that's the only time it's ever happened lol.

Back