I need a TV Series recommendation... Something good but off the beaten path v.2

Loiosh

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen just about everything people talk about here and I have run out of great things to watch.

I would really appreciate some assistance finding something I haven't seen that is good.

Thanks in advance.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I know you probably have watched American Gods and the new season of Twin Peaks but have you seen Handmaid's Tale and what do you think of it so far? Also going to try and at catch up on season 2 of Fortitude. I know first season was slow burn

I know you probably have watched American Gods and the new season of Twin Peaks but have you seen Handmaid's Tale and what do you think of it so far? Also going to try and at catch up on season 2 of Fortitude. I know first season was slow burn

American Gods... Up to date.
Twin Peaks... Not yet.
Handmaid's Tale... Up to date, and enjoying it. Elisabeth Moss has been really good.
Fortitude... Didn't know second season was out, thanks for the head's up.

American Gods... Up to date.
Twin Peaks... Not yet.
Handmaid's Tale... Up to date, and enjoying it. Elisabeth Moss has been really good.
Fortitude... Didn't know second season was out, thanks for the head's up.
was gonna checkout the handmaid tale but was afraid it was gonna be beat you over the head feminist.

recently liked hand of God, the oa, and s3 bloodline

You seen Murder in Successville? Pretty funny and good concept.

Upton Monastery is pretty good.

Is Gravity Falls good for adults?

It definitely helps if you're young at heart, but yes I would say it's worth it. It has enough of a mystery element to keep most adults interested, I think. I've heard it compared to being an animated Twin Peaks, and I think that's a fair estimation.

Since you're looking for one off the beaten path, I'll also throw out The Delta State.

All the eps. are available on youtube, and the intro does a better job of explaining the plot than I could. But, basically, it's about four 20-something amnesiacs, each with a different psychic ability, trying to uncover their past lives while battling extra-dimensional psionic "Rifters" who are trying to take over humanity, in the vein of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It has a pretty unique method for how they combat them, as most of the "fighting" takes place psychically in a parallel dimension.

The animation style takes a bit of getting used to as it uses rotoscoping, like the film A Scanner Darkly. But it allows for a level of expressiveness with the characters that's unparalleled with traditional animation.

First ep. of The Delta State:

How_War_and_Peace_was_sexed_up_for_2016.jpg

War and Peace 2016 six part mini-series. The battle scenes from the trailer convinced me to watch this and I was not disappointed. Excellent series, don't miss out.

Did you know that that miniseries was originally supposed to be called "War. What is it good for 2016". The writers mistress convinced him to change it at the last minute.

Also going to try and at catch up on season 2 of Fortitude. I know first season was slow burn

Just finished season two of Fortitude.

Jesus, what a weird show.

There are things about it I really liked, but if I wrote the plot out, nobody would believe that was a show.

I'd give this a cautious recommend, with a caveat based on the slow pace and fantastical gore.

I'm really enjoying this.

Rush is great as Einstein, as is the guy playing his younger self (for the first half dozen episodes).

Genius.png

Trial and Error with John Lithgow as the bisexual defenestrator was surprisingly hilarious. It looks like typical crap like The Office and Parks and Recreation, but they write actual comedy instead of trying to mimic the boring veneer of real people. (But the music is awful....)

It's a straight-up parody of those stuipd low-budget crime shows, created because John Lithgow just thought they were so goddamn stupid that they would make an awesome comedy. And it's actually shockingly funny for network television. I don't remember the last time I laughed at a primetime network sitcom. It really defies convention. It reminds me of Police Squad, the show that The Naked Gun movies were based on.

An example of one of the jokes:

The defense team for Lithgow hires a private DNA scientist to retest the crime scene and he comes back to report that he found traces of semen for three unknown men in the bed where Lithgow's wife was killed. Also, the scientist is a compulsive masturbator who has to jerk off when he feels under stress.

Defense team: "DNA samples of three other men in her bed? That means we have three other potential killers!"
Scientist: "Well... no, one of the samples was mine." (They stare at him.) "My father's been having some medical problems...."

I just saw the UK mini-series Three Girls.

Powerful drama based on the experiences of three of the vulnerable young girls who were groomed, sexually abused and trafficked by British Pakistani men in Rochdale and of the failure of the authorities to do anything about it.
iMDB

It was incredibly good.

Three_Girls_review__a_bleak__necessary_drama_that_subverts_victim_stereotypes.jpg

Trial and Error with John Lithgow as the bisexual defenestrator was surprisingly hilarious. It looks like typical crap like The Office and Parks and Recreation, but they write actual comedy instead of trying to mimic the boring veneer of real people. (But the music is awful....)

It's a straight-up parody of those stuipd low-budget crime shows, created because John Lithgow just thought they were so goddamn stupid that they would make an awesome comedy. And it's actually shockingly funny for network television. I don't remember the last time I laughed at a primetime network sitcom. It really defies convention. It reminds me of Police Squad, the show that The Naked Gun movies were based on.

An example of one of the jokes:

The defense team for Lithgow hires a private DNA scientist to retest the crime scene and he comes back to report that he found traces of semen for three unknown men in the bed where Lithgow's wife was killed. Also, the scientist is a compulsive masturbator who has to jerk off when he feels under stress.

Defense team: "DNA samples of three other men in her bed? That means we have three other potential killers!"
Scientist: "Well... no, one of the samples was mine." (They stare at him.) "My father's been having some medical problems...."

Should finish this today some time, I'm really, really enjoying it, and need some humor to help get past Three Girls, which was incredibly intense.

Thanks for the head's up.

Only two seasons and it got canceled. Visually stunning, great acting, cool story. Sucks it got canceled.

Only two seasons and it got canceled. Visually stunning, great acting, cool story. Sucks it got canceled.

First season was fantastic, second season jumped the shark a bit.

Definitely sad it's gone.

Back