I need advice...

LLD2008

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm early 20s and applying for the army infantry for a career , and i'm interested in learning boxing at some point. I also hope to have a serious boxing career someday and with the army, it lets you do sports like boxing but just amateur and you can compete too.
Would it help say if I joined for 4 years and learn amateur skills , and after I leave continue boxing and turn pro at some point if I get good, or would it hold me back from learning the technique and skills, and would it be better just learning from a normal boxing gym without doing the army career stuff if I want a boxing career in the future?

Last edited:
I hate to be a downer here, but you're going to have to pick one. Professional boxing or the army, neither are careers I would personally recommend.

I'm early 20s and applying for the army infantry for a career , and i'm interested in learning boxing at some point. I also hope to have a serious boxing career someday and with the army, it lets you do sports like boxing but just amateur and you can compete too.
Would it help say if I joined for 4 years and learn amateur skills , and after I leave continue boxing and turn pro at some point if I get good, or would it hold me back from learning the technique and skills, and it would be better just learning from a normal boxing gym without doing the army career stuff if I want a boxing career in the future?
You might blown up in the army.

Would it help say if I joined for 4 years and learn amateur skills , and after I leave continue boxing and turn pro at some point if I get good, or would it hold me back from learning the technique and skills, and it would be better just learning from a normal boxing gym without doing the army career stuff if I want a boxing career in the future?

I attempted to get into the military, the army specifically when I was about 20 or so. Unfortunately I am not allowed into any branch of the military for reasons I wont discuss here. When I look back on it I wish I could have done it. I think it would have been a great thing for me. I think the Army being good or bad for someone largely depends on that persons personal situation however I will list the benefits I see it offered to me.

- Free place to live/Shelter
- Free food to eat
- Free healthcare
- You get paid
- you learn a job skill/career, its essentially paid on the job training
- Pick a different MOS than infantry!

A old boxing coach I had, was pretty good, he boxed in the army and had alot of fights. I dont know what happened to him, he kinda just disappeared but he was a good coach and fighter and he boxed in the army. I cannot recall but I believe he went pro when he got out. I think the Army has a good boxing program and I dont think its uncommon for guys to go pro when they get out. This is all based off this old coach of mine. I dont have any personal experience with the Army or its boxing program. I know its basic training and general combat martial arts or what not that all the marines they are super bad ass for doing 3 months of is a joke.

That was one of the reasons I wanted to join the military even I still do now. From what I heard from other vets it's hard to follow a fight career when your infantry, because they need infantry soldiers for deployment. It's hard but not impossible. So if you want try it, there is a whole shit load of reasons for me to join and @shincheckin named a few of them that made me want to join too. It is better to do a fight career as a civilian but if you want something to fall back on choose mp, that will give you both infantry skills and law enforcement skills.

What do you weigh, and what previous amateur Boxing experience do you have?

I've wanted to post a thread like this..

It's pretty hard choosing between two paths, but you gotta choose fast because the window for being a pro might close.

I think that going the Army route would be less risky and more secure on the long run.

I was in the military and stopped boxing competitively when I joined due to the rate of deployments. Actually my last fight was 2 weeks before I went off to basic. I still sparred regularly and trained regularly over the past load of years...now I coach my kid.

But for me it was one or the other- I didnt join the military to do sports. If I wanted to be on the boxing team year round I would have had to leave my unit.

That being said- how many pro boxers can you name who honed their skills while in the military...that should answer your question on what path to follow if truly passionate about either.

Don't want to sound like a dick but this seems like a pipe dream, my guy. If you have no legitimate prior boxing training then I wouldn't consider it as anything than a hobby or bucket list thing.

Actually I wouldn't even consider competing something for a bucket list. Maybe just sparring. It's stupid to put your brains on the line if you're not 100% sure you want to be a professional fighter. I know it's cliche but you don't play boxing. Even competing as an amateur requires complete commitment to training. It's not a game, and you can get severely injured even just sparring if you don't have someone competent watching out for you.

You mention you're already in your 20s and you only want to begin to learn. Maybe you're some kind of phenom. In that case find yourself a good trainer and commit yourself to boxing. But from what you're telling us in the OP, I would highly suggest striking off serious boxing career from your list lol. You won't even be adept enough to defend yourself adequately until after a year or so and that's if you're good. And any trainer worth his salt wouldn't spend his time training you, unless you're some sort of gifted athlete like Sergio Martinez.

But like I said, maybe you are a Sergio Martinez. If you want to do it fuck what any one says (including me) and try it. Just don't say you weren't warned.

dont let these guys crush your dream, you can box in the military, and if you werent in the military, you would still have to work a regular job, and box when you get off, as an amateur and also as a low level pro. Even low level pro boxers still work regular jobs, unless they have someone to support them and still live with their parents or something for example. So either way, unless you make it big and become the next canelo, you will have to work, and box. The army has a good boxing program, you can learn to box there, and compete there. I say go for it. And dont choose infantry unless you want to go to the middle east to fight for oil to make uncle same rich. Infantry is a MOS you cannot use when you get out. So either do infantry and stay in for life. Or choose a different MOS.

every pro was once an amatuer, every amateur was once someone with no exeprience that wanted to box.

How do you get good at boxing and potentially be a pro?

By training at a gym, learning how to box, competing as an amateur, and building enough skill and experience to make the jump to pro. All of that can be done in the army. You can learn to box in the army, you can compete in the army, and once you have competed enough, you can make the jump to pro if and when your ready. The only thing that may be a drawback with the army, is if you get stationed somewhere without a gym/program, if your MOS doesnt allow time for it, or if you are frequently changing locations, get sent to war(Mr Infantry) etc. So they are things to consider. Dont know your personal situation lets say rather than the army, you decided to live at home with your parents, go to college instead of the army, and train at the local boxing gym and work your way up to pro. That would be a more favorable option if we are to prioritize boxing. but something to consider, is the actual gym your training at. Is it a gym capable of taking you where you want to go with boxing, even if it is capable of taking you there, are they willing to take you there? Is it a standard boxercise fitness gym that blows smoke up your ass? If you decide the latter, I would suggest posting the gym you choose to train at to see if it would be worthwhile. It would really suck to throw away your army career to go boxercise.

Last edited:
It sounds pretty damn tough to become a pro if you're already in your twenties.
Like other posters said you might be better off picking one or the other, but not impossible.
Is it only the Army you'd be interested in joining? Most countries Navy's have a boxing team too.
Whatever you decide good luck!
599.gif

dont let these guys crush your dream, you can box in the military, and if you werent in the military, you would still have to work a regular job, and box when you get off, as an amateur and also as a low level pro. Even low level pro boxers still work regular jobs, unless they have someone to support them and still live with their parents or something for example. So either way, unless you make it big and become the next canelo, you will have to work, and box. The army has a good boxing program, you can learn to box there, and compete there. I say go for it. And dont choose infantry unless you want to go to the middle east to fight for oil to make uncle same rich. Infantry is a MOS you cannot use when you get out. So either do infantry and stay in for life. Or choose a different MOS.

every pro was once an amatuer, every amateur was once someone with no exeprience that wanted to box.

It really doesn't sound like TS wants to do either the army or boxing. In which case, I'd join the army. At least they'll pay for your school later on and won't leave you with CTE. I started late at 19 too with a handful of amateur fights and a couple pro bouts, and you're already fighting a losing battle especially if you don't have the drive. Boxing is not something like "Oh i'll just try training and maybe become pro later on." You shouldn't go into any career with that half assed mentality, especially an unforgiving sport like boxing.

I don't know your endgame @LLD2008 , but if you're doing this for anything other than glory (such as money and fame) you should do yourself a favor and pick a job where you won't scramble your brain for peanuts. You mentioned a "serious" boxing career. If by "serious" you mean able to sustain yourself and a family, you'd probably be making a bad career choice and life decision in general.

It really doesn't sound like TS wants to do either the army or boxing. In which case, I'd join the army. At least they'll pay for your school later on and won't leave you with CTE. I started late at 19 too with a handful of amateur fights and a couple pro bouts, and you're already fighting a losing battle especially if you don't have the drive. Boxing is not something like "Oh i'll just try training and maybe become pro later on." You shouldn't go into any career with that half assed mentality, especially an unforgiving sport like boxing.

I don't know your endgame @LLD2008 , but if you're doing this for anything other than glory (such as money and fame) you should do yourself a favor and pick a job where you won't scramble your brain for peanuts. You mentioned a "serious" boxing career. If by "serious" you mean able to sustain yourself and a family, you'd probably be making a bad career choice and life decision in general.

post your boxrec

post your boxrec

Rather not, but my debut was in Mexico which wasn't recorded due to them spelling my name wrong and my second bout was in my hometown. I even saw and exchanged words with UFC veteran Mac Danzig when I went in for my physical and bloodwork, he was there getting cleared for an MMA bout.

It doesn't matter if you believe me anyway. Based on the OP, any person in their right minds would tell TS to pick something else. You'd be irresponsible to tell someone already in their 20s with no experience to pursue a career as a prizefighter.

Last edited:
Rather not, but my debut was in Mexico which wasn't recorded due to them spelling my name wrong and my second bout was in my hometown. I even saw and exchanged words with UFC veteran Mac Danzig when I went in for my physical and bloodwork, he was there getting cleared for an MMA bout.

It doesn't matter if you believe me anyway. Based on the OP, any person in their right minds would tell TS to pick something else. You'd be irresponsible to tell someone already in their 20s with no experience to pursue a career as a prizefighter.

you sound like a hater, when ppl cant do something themselves, they want to tell ppl they cant do it. I dont believe your stories or either or care about you even meeting some UFC guy.

the kid may not become the next mayweather, but he can surely accomplish a handful of amateur bouts in the army, and perhaps some pro bouts once he gets out. I dont see that being to difficult at 20. He could easily accomplish what you claim to have done. I didnt start muay thai until I was 18, had things gone the right way, I could be where I am with it today in about 4-5 years. I do not think 20 is too old at all. Not sure how old you are, but 20 yrs old today, is still very much a youngster. become the next greatest thing in the history of the sport, probably not, have a few pro fights, definitely possible.

Last edited:
you sound like a hater, when ppl cant do something themselves, they want to tell ppl they cant do it. I dont believe your stories or either or care about you even meeting some UFC guy.

the kid may not become the next mayweather, but he can surely accomplish a handful of amateur bouts in the army, and perhaps some pro bouts once he gets out. I dont see that being to difficult at 20. He could easily accomplish what you claim to have done. I didnt start muay thai until I was 18, had things gone the right way, I could be where I am with it today in about 4-5 years. I do not think 20 is too old at all. Not sure how old you are, but 20 yrs old today, is still very much a youngster.

20 is a baby, you haven't even peaked yet. lol. 30 is still young. People need to stop using beer drinking uncles as a reference. I think age is largely relative, coming down to genetics, maintenance (conditioning), and lifestyle.

20 is a baby, you haven't even peaked yet. lol. 30 is still young. People need to stop using beer drinking uncles as a reference. I think age is largely relative, coming down to genetics, maintenance (conditioning), and lifestyle.

exactly

and this right here sounds alot like bullshit, not because its impossible, surely could be true......but why would you mention it? because its bullshit

I even saw and exchanged words with UFC veteran Mac Danzig when I went in for my physical and bloodwork, he was there getting cleared for an MMA bout.

Would it help say if I joined for 4 years and learn amateur skills , and after I leave continue boxing and turn pro at some point if I get good, or would it hold me back from learning the technique and skills, and would it be better just learning from a normal boxing gym without doing the army career stuff if I want a boxing career in the future?

You're 20. Do everything you want to do in life. Gabe Rosado started boxing at 18, and he makes something like 100-300k a fight as a pro with only 11 amateur fights. I recall him mentioning his purse on a video one time, can't remember the exact amount. You actually will have more resources than him at your disposal joining the Army. Rosado worked warehouse jobs, and trained after. Rough life, but he made it.

The Army has a competitive boxing team. If you make the team you will not do your MOS, you will box around the world representing the Army in amateur competitions. You will essentially be getting paid to box by the Army granted you make the team.

Army has a big budget, and they go to the same events that other ammy boxers go to. We just saw Army at Regional Golden Gloves last year. They were in very good shape. There is a Marine who is a pro boxer, undefeated last I checked who is actually pretty good. He wears his EGA on all his boxing trunks.

If you don't make the team, you'll still have boxing gyms outside of your base (fort). You'll more than likely just need to run it up your chain of command to enter amateur boxing events. This is more or less a formality. Unless you are heavy in deployments they should give you the green light. Infantry will probably celebrate the fact that one of their shooters boxes in his spare time. Just stay out of trouble and they should support you.

Ask your recruiter about the boxing team.
(https://www.armymwr.com/programs-an...rts/all-army-sports-selection-criteria/boxing)

The Army has a competitive boxing team. If you make the team you will not do your MOS, you will box around the world representing the Army in amateur competitions. You will essentially be getting paid to box by the Army granted you make the team.

there you have it, I could not recall exactly or find the words to say it, but you have done it for me. My old boxing coach that I previously mentioned that disappeared. I recall him telling me all he did was box when he was in the Army, just as you have mentioned. Im not sure what why or how, but once he got out, he was still getting paid by the army, because he used to box for them.

Back