I need advice...

i wish i knew this at 20 rather than 30. when I first started out i had a ton of people tell me I couldnt do it, I can never be as good as so and so, etc. When I asked why they always gave me some bullshit excuse, all these people were essentially just talking a bunch of jibberish to me, to pretend they know what they are talking about, most of them had never competed. Being the young dumb kid I was, I listened to and believed them. it held me back, i eventually overcame it. Fighters are 1%'s, the 99% are not and will do anything they can to stop others from accomplish that which they cannot achieve. everyones a hater, no one wants to see anyone do better than them.

there you have it, I could not recall exactly or find the words to say it, but you have done it for me. My old boxing coach that I previously mentioned that disappeared. I recall him telling me all he did was box when he was in the Army, just as you have mentioned. Im not sure what why or how, but once he got out, he was still getting paid by the army, because he used to box for them.

Most definitely. Boxing is deep rooted in the military. Yeah the specifics of it are often not widely understood. But the guys that box for the team, that is all they do. You get paid and trained by the Army to box. It is their job full time. If that is what TS wants to do, he will have a world of opportunity. Anybody who says otherwise is just uninformed.

Edit: On Army's MWR website it says that the opportunities are "short-term". However, I've lived close to military installations, and seen the team boxers. Some had been in 3 years, and never did their MOS.

Last edited:
There are plenty of Army boxers. Nothing wrong with it at all

you sound like a hater, when ppl cant do something themselves, they want to tell ppl they cant do it. I dont believe your stories or either or care about you even meeting some UFC guy.

the kid may not become the next mayweather, but he can surely accomplish a handful of amateur bouts in the army, and perhaps some pro bouts once he gets out. I dont see that being to difficult at 20. He could easily accomplish what you claim to have done. I didnt start muay thai until I was 18, had things gone the right way, I could be where I am with it today in about 4-5 years. I do not think 20 is too old at all. Not sure how old you are, but 20 yrs old today, is still very much a youngster. become the next greatest thing in the history of the sport, probably not, have a few pro fights, definitely possible.

Haha don't get all mad and call me a hater just because you were too much of a pussy to do what you wanted when you wanted until it was too late bruh. Sounds like you're projecting for TS man. And living vicariously through him is just as bad as telling him to not try and become a fighter. Stop being so idealistic and corny bro. You'd think you'd grow out of that shit by the time you're 30.

@Sinister pursued the same shit himself. Maybe get a realistic answer from someone who you can confirm has been through it. Because I totally lied about my 1-1 record to impress you.

tenor.gif

And of course you would refer to Mac Danzig as "some UFC guy".. You TUF noob.

Last edited:
Haha don't get all mad and call me a hater just because you were too much of a pussy to do what you wanted when you wanted until it was too late bruh. Sounds like you're projecting for TS man. And living vicariously through him is just as bad as telling him to not try and become a fighter. Stop being so idealistic and corny bro. You'd think you'd grow out of that shit by the time you're 30.

@Sinister pursued the same shit himself. Maybe get a realistic answer from someone who you can confirm has been through it. Because I totally lied about my 1-1 record to impress you.

tenor.gif

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but you’re a dick. I hate when people always ask if it’s ‘too late’ to do something. Like take baby steps first and decide if you even like it that much or are good at it before planning your whole life around it.
You either make it or you don’t but if someone tells you, ‘you cant’ then does that mean TS won’t even take up boxing? Just do it and go with it.

But you don’t need to shit on shincheckin for being encouraging. He may never make it to the level of mayweather but he will never find out if never tries. And even if he doesn’t, he may get way better at boxing than he ever imagined. And if everyone listened to people like you who said they can’t, then no one would achieve anything.
Don’t be salty cuz you tried and ‘failed’. I get it though life gets in the way and reality sets in at a certain time. But do you regret your whole boxing career? Maybe wish you put energy into something else?

Last edited:

tenor.gif

"Haha don't get all mad and call me a hater just because you were too much of a pussy to do what you wanted when you wanted until it was too late bruh."

I had my first muay thai fight at 18 years old after training for only 1 month. That is the exact opposite of your "pussy" statement. Believing in yourself whether you are fighting or not, makes a huge difference.

your angry, insulting, defending yourself response further proves your all lies.
What kind of person comes onto sherdog, makes up stories about false accomplishments to try and prove something on the internet, and than shits on others wanting to actually do something. Plenty of people can become great boxers in about 5 years with a good and correct coaching.

PS I fought Dieselnoi at Lumpinee stadium for my debut pro fight, but they spelled my name wrong so theres no pictures or proof of it ever being on record. Ken Shamrock was even there!!!

cool-story-bro-jog6we.jpg

Sinister has already made his comments, which were much more in lines of mine than yours.

I dont like MMA or know or care anything about it. So of course I dont know who Mac Danzig is. Do you know who Orono is you tuff noob?

I have a feeling @breadfighter, is one of those guys who wants to hide the fact that he was a failed boxer and wants to discourage others. He reminds me of the teachers in one of the 3 high schools I went too. They told me that being a fighter and being a cop does not mix. And they would try to convince me not to try and follow a fight career lol (I never listened to them on that part because teachers like to think there smart but they are as retarded in some ways as the average person lol). Anyways what I'm trying to say is that this guy is either a fraud, or just is mad at the world for having a not so good boxing career, i don't know why he would quit after 1 loss, that shows a real pussy.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but you’re a dick. I hate when people always ask if it’s ‘too late’ to do something. Like take baby steps first and decide if you even like it that much or are good at it before planning your whole life around it.
You either make it or you don’t but if someone tells you, ‘you cant’ then does that mean TS won’t even take up boxing? Just do it and go with it.

But you don’t need to shit on shincheckin for being encouraging. He may never make it to the level of mayweather but he will never find out if never tries. And even if he doesn’t, he may get way better at boxing than he ever imagined. And if everyone listened to people like you who said they can’t, then no one would achieve anything.
Don’t be salty cuz you tried and ‘failed’. I get it though life gets in the way and reality sets in at a certain time. But do you regret your whole boxing career? Maybe wish you put energy into something else?

Lol this is all I mean and people are taking it super personal.

If you're already in your 20's with no prior experience and you have to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum if this should be your career choice, then it's very very likely it's not for you. Go back and read my posts, I never told him not to do it. I just told him he'd be better off choosing something that likely won't leave him with brain damage and no money.

Nothing wrong with wanting to have some ammy bouts. But some of you guys are sort of telling this guy to put all his eggs in one basket.

I had my first muay thai fight at 18 years old after training for only 1 month. That is the exact opposite of your "pussy" statement. Believing in yourself whether you are fighting or not, makes a huge difference.

What's your point. Any dummy can jump in the ring after 2 days of being in the gym. How'd it do for your professional fighting career now at 30 years old though? You know, the one you're giving TS advice to pursue?

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that this guy is either a fraud, or just is mad at the world for having a not so good boxing career, i don't know why he would quit after 1 loss, that shows a real pussy.

Damn I thought fighters respect everyone who step into the ring. They always say that anyway.

Last edited:
What's your point. Any dummy can jump in the ring after 2 days of being in the gym. How'd it do for your professional fighting career now at 30 years old though? You know, the one you're giving TS advice to pursue?

My point is, you decided to insult me, by calling me a pussy that was too afraid to pursue what I wanted to, which is incorrect., Bruh.

why do you need to insult me? cause your mad. why you mad bruh? cause I called you out on your lies and your exposed as a sherdog keyboard warrior fraud. ;)

The guy said he wants to go to the army and box. And wants to have a boxing career when he gets out. It not at all impossible at 20 years old, rather its highly likely. 4 years of boxing in the Army should give him plenty of time and experience to have a professional career when he gets out, maybe it takes a few more years so he makes a pro debut at 27 lets say. Thats still fine and totally possible. Theres a difference between doing it for a living, vs having a handful of proessional fights, which is still a major accomplishment. Given that the guy also plans on attending the Army, it looks like he has a back up plan and doesnt intend on just fighting for a living as you are insinuating.

Hows my career going? Great, as I am getting older now I am slowly transitioning into coaching, and will be running my own gym within a few more years, which is something I have had planned for a very long time.

No one wants to see others do better than them, which you are doing a great example of demonstrating here. This kid can easily achieve more than 1 or 2 pro fights, starting at 20 years old. If he starts now, with any luck, they might spell his name right and he might get to meet Tito Ortiz at weigh ins....bruh.

Lol this is all I mean and people are taking it super personal.

If you're already in your 20's with no prior experience and you have to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum if this should be your career choice, then it's very very likely it's not for you. Go back and read my posts, I never told him not to do it. I just told him he'd be better off choosing something that likely won't leave him with brain damage and no money.

Nothing wrong with wanting to have some ammy bouts. But some of you guys are sort of telling this guy to put all his eggs in one basket.

Damn I thought fighters respect everyone who step into the ring. They always say that anyway.

Your not a good example of a fighter lol. You get respect for stepping in there but not for giving up and not making a comeback.

My point is, you decided to insult me, by calling me a pussy that was too afraid to pursue what I wanted to, which is incorrect., Bruh.

why do you need to insult me? cause your mad. why you mad bruh? cause I called you out on your lies and your exposed as a sherdog keyboard warrior fraud. ;)

The guy said he wants to go to the army and box. And wants to have a boxing career when he gets out. It not at all impossible at 20 years old, rather its highly likely. 4 years of boxing in the Army should give him plenty of time and experience to have a professional career when he gets out, maybe it takes a few more years so he makes a pro debut at 27 lets say. Thats still fine and totally possible. Theres a difference between doing it for a living, vs having a handful of proessional fights, which is still a major accomplishment. Given that the guy also plans on attending the Army, it looks like he has a back up plan and doesnt intend on just fighting for a living as you are insinuating.

Hows my career going? Great, as I am getting older now I am slowly transitioning into coaching, and will be running my own gym within a few more years, which is something I have had planned for a very long time.

No one wants to see others do better than them, which you are doing a great example of demonstrating here. This kid can easily achieve more than 1 or 2 pro fights, starting at 20 years old. If he starts now, with any luck, they might spell his name right and he might get to meet Tito Ortiz at weigh ins....bruh.

You talk about insinuating, but you keep saying the TS is 20 years old (TS never once stated he was 20) and only wants a handful of fights as an accomplishment. He mentioned he wants a "serious pro career" and having a "serious" career usually equates to doing it for a living not just having a few pro fights for a sense of accomplishment.

I question the validity of the advice you give when you clearly can't even accurately comprehend what you're reading.

Last edited:
You talk about insinuating, but you keep saying the TS is 20 years old (TS never once stated he was 20) and only wants a handful of fights as an accomplishment. He mentioned he wants a "serious pro career" and having a "serious" career usually equates to doing it for a living not just having a few pro fights for a sense of accomplishment.

I question the validity of the advice you give when you clearly can't even accurately comprehend what you're reading.

I just reread what he said, he said that he wants to compete for the army, and that he wants to one day have serious boxing career (meaning that he wants to have some experience and something to fall back on). By the sound of it, he wants to see how it goes first and than see if he can follow a pro fight career after.

Now that was one of the reasons I wanted to go in, he might be able to pull it off, he might not but it all depends on how well he takes in the information from the instructors and how serious he takes it, if he puts in the work whens hes off he will most likely be a good pro one day.

Lets re-read his statements to clarify.

I'm early 20s and applying for the army infantry for a career , and i'm interested in learning boxing at some point. I also hope to have a serious boxing career someday and with the army, it lets you do sports like boxing but just amateur and you can compete too.
Would it help say if I joined for 4 years and learn amateur skills , and after I leave continue boxing and turn pro at some point if I get good, or would it hold me back from learning the technique and skills, and would it be better just learning from a normal boxing gym without doing the army career stuff if I want a boxing career in the future?

"I'm early 20s "
- so hes early 20s rather than 20, still doesnt make much of a difference on the time frame. so hes somewhere between 20-24. lets take the median of 22. 22 years of age is not much of a difference on the time frame

"applying for the army infantry for a career"
- prize fighting is not his career choice, the army is. Which is why hes joining it. Getting a career in the military is a great plan B if the boxing thing doesnt work out. So looks like hes thought that far ahead.

"i'm interested in learning boxing at some point. I also hope to have a serious boxing career someday and with the army"
- He never mentioned wanting "a serious pro career" as you have stated. He mentioned a serious career within the Army, which has already been previously clarified, that if you make the team, you can just box for the army, that can be your MOS. So he definitely can have a serious boxing career within the Army. Furthermore, what can prepare someone to go pro once they get out, better than boxing for a living as a Amatuer? If he makes the team and boxing is his MOS, that is exaclty what he will be doing. Boxing for a living as an amatuer within the Army.

" Would it help say if I joined for 4 years and learn amateur skills , and after I leave continue boxing and turn pro at some point if I get good"
- Here he mentions going pro once he gets out, possibly if he gets good enough. How does a amatuer boxer become a pro boxer? By competing as an amatuer and building experience to get to the point to make the jump. What better way to get experience as an amatuer and build the skill to eventually make the jump than having boxing as your MOS and boxing for a living as an Amatuer within the Army?

The kid is quite capable of accomplishing everything he wants in the army and possibly turning pro once he gets out.

Since you want to bring up the fact that he never said hes 20. lets say hes 24, which would be the oldest age for early 20s. After 4 years of boxing for a living in the army, he could get out at 28, and go pro afterwards if he wanted to. That is still not too old at all. This kid can accomplish everything he wants to in the army.

I question the validity of the advice you give when you clearly can't even accurately comprehend what you're reading ;)

Getting advice from these sherdoggers, you're sure to end up ravaging your life.

noob at both army and boxing, just try out boxing and then you can make long term decisions after that. maybe you get hit in the face and realize its not for you. and for army, lots worse things can happen to you. in 5 years, you'll probably have a different lifeplan and make a new thread then.

Back