I need rpg recommendations where you can play or recruit monster races

ookii

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Not too many rpgs that I've seen where you can play as a lizardman or an orc. The ones that do were the Elder Scroll series, Divinity Original Sin 2, Arcanum and Baldur's Gate. Anyone know of any other single player rpg games were you can play as those non human/elf/drawf?

Some of the dnd style games:
planescape torment has a bunch of options. Some of which are weird.

Dragon age has side characters that are definitely monster-types.

Avernum 2-6. First game is pretty much just humans. nephilim (clannish cat-people) and slithzerkai (theocratic lizardmen) are playable in the later games.

Dark Messiah, arguably. But more details would spoil it.

Some of the dnd style games:
planescape torment has a bunch of options. Some of which are weird.

Dragon age has side characters that are definitely monster-types.

Avernum 2-6. First game is pretty much just humans. nephilim (clannish cat-people) and slithzerkai (theocratic lizardmen) are playable in the later games.

Dark Messiah, arguably. But more details would spoil it.
Loved Dragon Age although some of the monster companions(DA 3) lack the charisma of the Mass Effect counterpart.

Avernum seems up my alley judging by the description but the graphics and engine looks like its 25 years old

Last edited:
Loved Dragon Age although some of the monster companions(DA 3) lack the charisma of the Mass Effect counterpart.

Avernum seems up my alley judging by the description but the graphics and engine looks like its 25 years old
Yeah it's an indie series that's a decade old.

And was based on an even older series called exile that has unplayable bad graphics and some really cool custom spells.

It was one of my favorite games. Deekin forever! Doom doom doom
I liked Aribeth,

giphy.gif

Orc, Troll, Drakeling, Ratling.

No no kuni on ps3, similar to pokemon
Tactic Ogre on PS1, probably need an emulator though
Persona 5

Back