I need to rebuild my open guard; what basics to start with?

Spoken

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Some of yall might have seen my thread awhile ago saying I was coming back to bjj after more than 5 years off. In the month I've been training, a lot of my old tricks have come back. Some stuff, however, are totally gone. One of those things is my open guard. It's not just intuitive anymore.

So, if I wanted to rework the fundaments of an open guard, start over from scratch? What should I focus on? de la riva? Spider guard? butterfly? Tornado? Which are highest percentage and which should I be focusing my time on?

From there, where should I start with materials?

hmm for me as I like to focus on the butterfly and Xguard, DLR/RDLR, and the situp guard

never been much of a spider guard fan aside from the occasional spider lasso of the arm, but I usually try to hybrid that with something else like x guard

I really love the sitting / shin to shin, butterfly, single X and X guard

Very efficient for sweeping and entering leg locks.

You still need a good half guard if you get smashed but if you avoid underhooks and cross face you will still be the one attacking.

It's a fun and very dynamic game. After a while you will find openings for getting shin to shin and single X everywhere.

id say start with collar and sleeve guard thats what everyone played for years tbh de la riva didnt get played mainstream till around 2009 mendes bros were first guys to dominate with it everyone back then in gi mostly played with collar and sleeve and spider guard

i think everyone needs 3 guards depending on how they base themselves u need a guard to deal with guys who stand guys on both knees and when they knee base from knee base you could go shin to shin or spider/collar and sleeve thats the beauty of those fundamental guards unlike de la riva and others that require them to base a certain way

standing u can do collar and sleeve and spider obviously and if hey have both knees down u obviously need a good half

I think you need to play with them all until you figure out which suits you best.

I still really like butterfly, but had to develop a game for all the standing passers. This led me to shin to shin, single leg x, and x guard.

Are you primarily a gi or nogi practitioner? Gi, I'd say collar and sleeve (mendez bros have some pretty good materials). Nogi, I'd say butterfly/shin to shin/rdlr.

Are you primarily a gi or nogi practitioner? Gi, I'd say collar and sleeve (mendez bros have some pretty good materials). Nogi, I'd say butterfly/shin to shin/rdlr.
Only gi. I’ll take a look at their material

DLR guard as it’s good for standing passers and combat base passers. You can use it to transition to other guards. If they stand you can go to sit up guard for the takedown or sweep or force the passer to post their hands and still go for the sweep or go into single x if they try to stand up. It’s also good to go into hybrid spider.

Half guard is a must when passer almost passes and you can use reverse DLR or z guard which to me is a variation of half guard.

Butterfly or even half butterfly is good to understand.

Just my humble opinion.

The main foundation and the dominion of the arms of the opponent and put the per in the hip of the oponete.

Don't lie there in an in-between position; that's the twilight zone where you're neither controlling your opponent nor preventing his guard pass.

Closed_to_Open_Guard_4a.jpg

Start with not having your guard passed, then you can play the guard you like the most

This is golden

Start with not having your guard passed, then you can play the guard you like the most

This is golden

Watched the first 10 minutes of that, good stuff, bookmarking to watch the rest later.

When he was walking around coaching people on that half guard recovery I couldn't help but thinking "man, I'm really not the world's worst purple belt", was definitely a confidence booster.

Back